Help Cunard Drinks Package

Pemb75

Hi

I am about to sail on Cunard and have purchased the beers wines and spirits option

I understand the €13.50 max price but if I ordered say a large monkey 47 gin at $11.30 and a mixer at $3.40 this takes me over the max price allowed I assume then I pay for the whole drink minus the 20% discount?

Or does the mixer not add to the $11.30 as it is a soft drink? Thus the price is in the inclusive range?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2 hours ago, Pemb75 said:

Hi

I am about to sail on Cunard and have purchased the beers wines and spirits option

I understand the €13.50 max price but if I ordered say a large monkey 47 gin at $11.30 and a mixer at $3.40 this takes me over the max price allowed I assume then I pay for the whole drink minus the 20% discount?

Or does the mixer not add to the $11.30 as it is a soft drink? Thus the price is in the inclusive range?

That should be ok. It is two separate drinks and as you say one is a soft drink.

Not sure if you might have a problem with a large measure. The current T&Cs clearly state that double measures are available on request. Might be best to have a copy as a pdf on a phone.

I think there was a time that only single measures were included. However they have reduced the measures since then.

If you do buy something over the limit you pay whole price plus 15% service charge minus 20%.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2024 at 10:58 AM, D&N said:

That should be ok. It is two separate drinks and as you say one is a soft drink.

Not sure if you might have a problem with a large measure. The current T&Cs clearly state that double measures are available on request. Might be best to have a copy as a pdf on a phone.

I think there was a time that only single measures were included. However they have reduced the measures since then.

If you do buy something over the limit you pay whole price plus 15% service charge minus 20%.

Color me confused!

We are going on our first Cunard cruise in March of next year and we have already purchased the "big boy" drink package. Am I understanding correctly that any cocktail not listed on the menu with a price is priced ad hoc by the ingredient? As an example, let us say my wife orders a Mudslide while at the Golden Lion. Would it be charged as Kahlua, plus Baileys, plus vodka, plus the cream?

On 9/15/2024 at 2:08 PM, Pemb75 said:

Hi

I would imagine the best way if you are unsure, is to order separately.

Large Monkey Gin - covered by the package.

Then order the mixer 

A tonic or soda - which is covered by the package.

Edited by S1971
  • Thanks 1

I know all of this is awkward and annoying.  The drinks package system on Cunard is inherently a pain in the neck.  But the way to make it work and to get the most for your money (and you are paying a whole lot for the drinks package!) work with your server.  This is what was suggested by others.  When you order explain that you are on the drinks package.  Most of the servers will work with you and split up your bill between spirits and mixers so that you stay within the $12.50 limit for each beverage, and still get a mixed drink.  Yes, this is crazy, weird, awkward, and annoying, but it is what you have to do to take advantage of the package, which you already paid big bucks for.  One of those quirky Cunard things that make you either giggle or pull out your hair.  Your choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So here is my example:  I like a good Manhattan made with adequate bourbon.  So I tell my server that I am on a drinks package and she/he separates the bill so that I get one charge for a shot of Maker's Mark bourbon, and one shot of good sweet vermouth.  And the bar tender, who is not stupid, mixes it all together.  And then then next time in the same bar (like the Chart Room), the smart server remembers all of this and it happens very smoothly.  Good luck and bottoms up!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, no1talks said:

Color me confused!

We are going on our first Cunard cruise in March of next year and we have already purchased the "big boy" drink package. Am I understanding correctly that any cocktail not listed on the menu with a price is priced ad hoc by the ingredient? As an example, let us say my wife orders a Mudslide while at the Golden Lion. Would it be charged as Kahlua, plus Baileys, plus vodka, plus the cream?

I'm not sure how you came up with that from my post, which you have quoted?

Everything on the menu is priced. If the price is over $13.50 you pay full price plus service charge less discount.

The O.P. was asking about ordering a gin and a mixer, not a named cocktail.

If there is a cocktail that has those ingredients served in one glass it would be priced on the menu.

Recently I've been ordering a red martini (or other vermouth) in restaurants along with a separate bottle of tonic. That's two drinks. If I had that on Cunard, one would be alcoholic and subject to the limit on drinks served per day. The soft drink is separate and they are not subject to a daily limit, other than any fair use policy they have.

1 hour ago, D&N said:

I'm not sure how you came up with that from my post, which you have quoted?

Because I asked...

"any cocktail not listed on the menu with a price is priced ad hoc by the ingredient?"

It seems the Mudslide example, which does not appear on the menu, would be three strikes against the daily drink limit.

The value of this drink package seems to hold up only if one stays on the menu.

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Because I asked...

"any cocktail not listed on the menu with a price is priced ad hoc by the ingredient?"

It seems the Mudslide example, which does not appear on the menu, would be three strikes against the daily drink limit.

The value of this drink package seems to hold up only if one stays on the menu.

OK, think I get you now.

I've never really understood why folk would mix several spirits or liqueurs

I'm quite happy to have an Aperol Spritz with tonic substituted for the prosecco and sparkling water. I like to keep things simple and not confuse flavours.

I've also never thought about ordering cocktails that aren't on the menu, but I suppose it must happen. I think it would be considered as one drink. Bartender would probably mix in quantities that would fall within the cost limit, rather than pour three standard measures.

Others that drink lots of cocktails might clarify that.

• Thanks 1