QE out of Seattle next year… a question

buchanan101

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is Seattle immigration well handled or a bit of a bunfight like Miami/FLL for non US citizens? As a solo traveller I had a nightmare in Miami, even being taken to one side and questioned as to why I was travelling alone which led to my booked transfer to Palm Beach departing stating I was a no show!

I doubt I can do self disembarkation due to health issues.  As I have little control over the flight choice I may end up with the 1.30 flight, that being the case how long does the trip from port to airport take approximately.  As this will be the first Seattle Cunard season it's quite difficult to guess now long it will take to clear the ship completely, anyone care to hazard a guess?

Googling says 30mins to airport... it seems pretty close. 

If Cunard have arranged your transfer I'd assume they'd give you an early slot for disembarkation if asked whatever cabin/loyalty you are at?

Edited by buchanan101
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Googling says 30mins to airport... it seems pretty close. 

If Cunard have arranged your transfer I'd assume they'd give you an early slot for disembarkation if asked whatever cabin/loyalty you are at?

I'm  Diamond so hopefully up the list.  I'm in Britannia balcony on deck 7.  My only disembarkation experiences in the US have had no time constraints as I'm generally going land based after my cruises.

In Europe obviously as you say no zero out and straight off - hopefully not too much change when new EU visas start next year!

1 minute ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Actually, I think it's billed as the "longest unguarded border", meaning it's not militarized. But definitely not "open".

I should hope it's not militarised - surely you can trust those Canadians, and there aren't very many of them along much of the border

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm  Diamond so hopefully up the list.  I'm in Britannia balcony on deck 7.  My only disembarkation experiences in the US have had no time constraints as I'm generally going land based after my cruises.

In Europe obviously as you say no zero out and straight off - hopefully not too much change when new EU visas start next year!

Diamond must be near top of the list - insist on it!!

They are actually visa waivers strictly speaking. You don't want to be having to have a visa... They'll be very similar to ESTAs or Canadian ETAs (so we need both of those for next year), and the UK is introducing one (applicable only to a few Gulf States at the moment).

EES (the biometrics) is starting this November for the EU; the ETIAS (the visa waiver) is next year... though there seem to be some grace periods for that. The EES is what is going to take the time - just like entering the US for the first time - imagine coach loads at Dover having to disembark and give fingerprints and photographs. There may be some pre-registering, but you can't do fingerprints online. Dover (especially) and St Pancras are best avoided (for US readers, French customs are at Dover (ferries), Folkstone? (eurotunnel)and St Pancras (Eurostar). UK customs are at Calais, Paris)

EU airports hopefully have the room and extra staff - may be fun at small Austrian airports like Innsbruck with plane loads of UK skiers arriving at once. We'd have been inside the system of course without Brexit: we were one of the pushers of it when it was originally conceived!

Edited by buchanan101

57 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

EU airports hopefully have the room and extra staff - may be fun at small Austrian airports like Innsbruck with plane loads of UK skiers arriving at once

Never mind the new rules my OH and his friends took an hour going through Innsbruck in March to get his passport stamped both in and out and also a special sealed off waiting area.  He thinks just maybe the Austrians aren't too keen on the British anymore.

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Never mind the new rules my OH and his friends took an hour going through Innsbruck in March to get his passport stamped both in and out and also a special sealed off waiting area.  He thinks just maybe the Austrians aren't too keen on the British anymore.

I've found Innsbruck OK actually - used it last January and March. The "sealed off waiting area" has always been there since the introduction of Schengen; it's the same as any Schengen airport. Innsbruck flights will always be European given that only smallish planes can land, so the "special area" will mostly be British flights

The British are probably the biggest users of Innsbruck and they've certainly added immigration booths and although small and crowded usually works quite well as an airport; I've used it once or twice a year for the last 10 or 12 years. Austrians don't mind us too much...

On 9/16/2024 at 9:19 AM, buchanan101 said:

Can't book mine just yet...I assume you are on an earlier Alaska cruise. 355 days not there yet. And with later flight can go for a later disembarkation time. As PG can pick and chose a bit.

Day hotel... didn't know that they were a thing. May ask the hotel that we are using before the cruise to hold our bags for a few hours when we get back and we can have a wander round Seattle? Given I'm Hilton Gold they may be fairly conducive to this 

Yes, I'm on a June sailing. I believe its the first Cunard Alaska trip out of Seattle.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I've found Innsbruck OK actually - used it last January and March. The "sealed off waiting area" has always been there since the introduction of Schengen; it's the same as any Schengen airport. Innsbruck flights will always be European given that only smallish planes can land, so the "special area" will mostly be British flights

The British are probably the biggest users of Innsbruck and they've certainly added immigration booths and although small and crowded usually works quite well as an airport; I've used it once or twice a year for the last 10 or 12 years. Austrians don't mind us too much...

We have friends in the Tyrol so until 2022 visited 8 or 9 times a year generally via Munich or Salzburg, rarely used Innsbruck as we are generally summer visitors.  Since the pandemic the ski group my husband travels with in March has switched to Innsbruck flights as those from the Midlands can use Jet2 very cheaply.  This year was the first time they were deliberately held to await other flight arrivals so security could "batch" process them.

Unfortunately in the village my friends (Austrian and Dutch) live in, the attitude to the British has changed completely since the vote never mind the leaving.  Other friends who were living there have moved back to UK or into Germany.  I have only been back once last year and was surprised.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Never had the batch arrival (fly BA so maybe they are treated slightly better?)... the game is usually making sure you are closeish to the bus exit doors and walk quickly to passport control which despite stamping etc doesn't take that long. Though it means you have to wait longer for baggage.

Loos at Innsbruck arrivals much nicer than Salzburg 😉. Car hire easy. Lovely location. Never tried Munich

I only use hotels obviously and the attitude hasn't changed.. they still want your money...(that's over cynical obviously)

A bit off topic here 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

All I was saying is that Europe is different - no immigration at all after returning from Norway. I was surprised that passports weren’t needed going ashore - seems that Cunard guarantee everyone going ashore is coming back through the key card system. Difficult for tiny Norwegian ports to man immigration at every stop. Only been to Norwegian cruise ports so may be different at Hamburg etc…

Thought you and Canada had the biggest open border in the world?! 

I assume we need Canadian ETAs? Are these checked at Seattle at the start of the cruise? Do US citizens need them? 

Yes, it’s definitely different when arriving in the US is involved. US immigration procedures require a “face to face” meeting at the first port of entry after leaving a foreign port. Thus the procedure arriving Seattle after a simple call to Victoria. By comparison, a round trip Alaska cruise from Vancouver doesn’t employ immigration formalities on return to Vancouver, as in your return to Southampton from Norway.

US citizens do not need an ETA for Canada, however I have no idea for other foreign citizens. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Yes, it’s definitely different when arriving in the US is involved. US immigration procedures require a “face to face” meeting at the first port of entry after leaving a foreign port. Thus the procedure arriving Seattle after a simple call to Victoria. By comparison, a round trip Alaska cruise from Vancouver doesn’t employ immigration formalities on return to Vancouver, as in your return to Southampton from Norway.

US citizens do not need an ETA for Canada, however I have no idea for other foreign citizens. 👍

Shame they can't rely on Cunard scanning people off and on again as any foreign national on the cruise will already have gone through immigration to get in to the US for the cruise... 

Shame they've moved from Vancouver to Seattle... port charges, or done to attract more US travellers? Victoria is partly there because of the foreign port rule for US origin cruises, but a worthwhile stop; more British than Britain - on my only previous visit in 1979...I'm sure it's moved on!

Repeat entries with a biometric passport is somewhat simpler I remember from 2016 (used some sort of Egate at JFK and was first at the immigration desk)? 

And yes, we need an ETA for Canada. Still that's two trips covered by ESTA and ETA: doing New England in 2026 on QM2 

https://www.handyvisas.com/eta-canada/british#:~:text=The eTA for Canada is a requirement for,3 Visiting family members 4 Business 5 Transit

Edited by buchanan101
  • Like 1

I live 5 minutes from the cruise terminal in Seattle. We allow 30 minutes from our door to the airport. If I had a 1:30 international flight I’d leave home at 11:00. September is less hectic than June for traffic and airport congestion.

There will be lots of taxis available at the cruise terminal, most are small Prius’. When we pre-arrange a car service to the airport we pay over $100.00, so if Cunard is charging $80.00 that sounds like a good deal to me, although much more than a cab from the cruise terminal, but our luggage would never fit in a Prius! A taxi/car will drop you in the arrivals area, which is congested at any time of year. The Cunard bus would probably go to a new area at the airport designated for them, so perhaps less stressful.

There is a new international terminal which I haven’t flown out of. We usually fly Alaska Airlines to New York, then BA to Heathrow.

At the cruise terminal there are people standing to look at your paper work — no turnstile or even a place for them to sit.

The drop-off at the cruise terminal is congested to say the least. People have to walk in front of cars pulling their luggage and unlike in Southampton or New York, there aren’t people waiting to whisk away luggage, and there are people who haven’t tagged their luggage standing in the way…just ridiculous! (Note: this was for Celebrity and RCI in the past 2 years) I haven’t sailed HA out of Seattle in over 10 years and I assume Cunard will use the HA berth.

Please feel free to ask me questions, and of course there is always the Western Ports forums. I know most of you aren’t thrilled to be sailing out of Seattle, but I’m excited to finally have Cunard at my doorstep and listen to the QE’s mighty horn every afternoon at sail away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, techteach said:

I live 5 minutes from the cruise terminal in Seattle. We allow 30 minutes from our door to the airport. If I had a 1:30 international flight I’d leave home at 11:00. September is less hectic than June for traffic and airport congestion.

There will be lots of taxis available at the cruise terminal, most are small Prius’. When we pre-arrange a car service to the airport we pay over $100.00, so if Cunard is charging $80.00 that sounds like a good deal to me, although much more than a cab from the cruise terminal, but our luggage would never fit in a Prius! A taxi/car will drop you in the arrivals area, which is congested at any time of year. The Cunard bus would probably go to a new area at the airport designated for them, so perhaps less stressful.

There is a new international terminal which I haven’t flown out of. We usually fly Alaska Airlines to New York, then BA to Heathrow.

At the cruise terminal there are people standing to look at your paper work — no turnstile or even a place for them to sit.

The drop-off at the cruise terminal is congested to say the least. People have to walk in front of cars pulling their luggage and unlike in Southampton or New York, there aren’t people waiting to whisk away luggage, and there are people who haven’t tagged their luggage standing in the way…just ridiculous! (Note: this was for Celebrity and RCI in the past 2 years) I haven’t sailed HA out of Seattle in over 10 years and I assume Cunard will use the HA berth.

Please feel free to ask me questions, and of course there is always the Western Ports forums. I know most of you aren’t thrilled to be sailing out of Seattle, but I’m excited to finally have Cunard at my doorstep and listen to the QE’s mighty horn every afternoon at sail away.

I'm very happy with Seattle, somewhere I've never visited!

I've been looking at Viator for inspiration on things to do in my 3 1/2 days and thought I'd try a day trip out of the City.  There are trips to a German village, mountains and even Mojnt St Helens coming up.  Any thoughts on if any of this is worthwhile?

• Like 1

@techteach The Cunard price of $80 is per person I believe...

Thanks for the info - intercontinental from UK usually says arrive 3 hours early, but it seems very doable, more so if self disembark

Out of interest why do you fly to LHR via NYC? Is it cheaper than the direct flights?

Will probably be arriving in Seattle 3 nights before the cruise

If we went on the later flight, any suggestions for where to leave luggage? I'm thinking I could ask the hotel we stay in before the cruise to put our bags in its Concierge? 

Edited by buchanan101

Just now, Megabear2 said:

I've been looking at Viator for inspiration on things to do in my 3 1/2 days and thought I'd try a day trip out of the City.  There are trips to a German village, mountains and even Mojnt St Helens coming up.  Any thoughts on if any of this is worthwhile?

Thought Seattle was Starbucks, Space Needle and Boeing 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, buchanan101 said:

Definitely not Boeing for me!  I've booked a couple of semi private tours already for two days and fancied something different.

I'm agonising over the QE excursions too, limited availability on Mendenhall Glacier or the float plane I'd already booked or now a helicopter!  I'm thinking of float plane in Ketchikan but that's a short day so no touristy shopping, crab or lumberjacks if I do.

So far have $2200 worth of trips booked with more to come, it's getting confusing!

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Definitely not Boeing for me!  I've booked a couple of semi private tours already for two days and fancied something different.

I'm agonising over the QE excursions too, limited availability on Mendenhall Glacier or the float plane I'd already booked or now a helicopter!  I'm thinking of float plane in Ketchikan but that's a short day so no touristy shopping, crab or lumberjacks if I do.

So far have $2200 worth of trips booked with more to come, it's getting confusing!

The trips are VERY expensive - however the Cunard prices for the two I've booked (Juneau, glacier/whale watching) and Skegway (train) - I think I've got the ports right - are about the same price through Cunard and 3rd parties - which is unusual. 10% off prebooking helps. Will have $920 OBC - though for 10 days over a 1/3rd goes on Grills tips. The ship tour interests me, but probably won't interest the OH.

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The German village is Leavenworth. If you’ve been to Germany then don’t bother.

St. Helens is fascinating, but make sure the visitor center is open.

You could go up to Mt. Rainier. I recommend Tipsoo Lake. A wonderful walk around the lake with breathtaking views of the mountain.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

The trips are VERY expensive - however the Cunard prices for the two I've booked (Juneau, glacier/whale watching) and Skegway (train) - I think I've got the ports right - are about the same price through Cunard and 3rd parties - which is unusual. 10% off prebooking helps. Will have $920 OBC - though for 10 days over a 1/3rd goes on Grills tips. The ship tour interests me, but probably won't interest the OH.

Yes I haven't seen any third party ones cheaper.  I knew they'd be expensive, particularly with my desire or unusual things and airboats and helicopter trips. 

One of the trips I've looked at is $540, airboat over Bear country but even I think that's a bit high.

I've booked the train too aand also whale and bear watching in icy point.

14 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

@techteach The Cunard price of $80 is per person I believe...

Thanks for the info - intercontinental from UK usually says arrive 3 hours early, but it seems very doable, more so if self disembark

Out of interest why do you fly to LHR via NYC? Is it cheaper than the direct flights?

Will probably be arriving in Seattle 3 nights before the cruise

If we went on the later flight, any suggestions for where to leave luggage? I'm thinking I could ask the hotel we stay in before the cruise to put our bags in its Concierge? 

We like to break-up the hours in the air. Flying Alaska Air is always better than BA IMHO. We can fly first class on Alaska, spend a night in NYC, then fly out on BA in Business and only use our miles. 

I have been saying for 20 years that I was going to open up a luggage drop business at Pike Street Market! The port authority has a luggage direct service and I suggest you use it. They take your luggage from the cruise terminal to the airport. I believe it is free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes I haven't seen any third party ones cheaper.  I knew they'd be expensive, particularly with my desire or unusual things and airboats and helicopter trips. 

One of the trips I've looked at is $540, airboat over Bear country but even I think that's a bit high.

I've booked the train too aand also whale and bear watching in icy point.

I wouldn't get OH in to a helicopter, so at least that stops the biggest spend. But she did send me up in a Tiger Moth at Duxford for my birthday, so...

(that's a little scary - they give you control of the stick...)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

We have a wonderful Museum of Flight. You can take a bus from downtown to it and back, or jump in a cab. It would be an option for get off the ship, send your luggage via port transfer, then jump in a cab and head to the Museum of Flight. Then take a cab from Museum of Flight to the airport, about 10 minutes away.

• Like 1