QE out of Seattle next year… a question

buchanan101

Just now, techteach said:

We like to break-up the hours in the air. Flying Alaska Air is always better than BA IMHO. We can fly first class on Alaska, spend a night in NYC, then fly out on BA in Business and only use our miles. 

I have been saying for 20 years that I was going to open up a luggage drop business at Pike Street Market! The port authority has a luggage direct service and I suggest you use it. They take your luggage from the cruise terminal to the airport. I believe it is free.

Aha! That sounds an excellent idea - TYVM!!

I'm using Avios to and from Seattle - with my Amex voucher it's 200k Avios and £900 in Club (supposedly that's the equivalent of about £2900 total).  Great Circle and all that means your way is a fair bit more time in the air, but I like the NYC stop over idea. Love NYC...!

2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Aha! That sounds an excellent idea - TYVM!!

I'm using Avios to and from Seattle - with my Amex voucher it's 200k Avios and £900 in Club (supposedly that's the equivalent of about £2900 total).  Great Circle and all that means your way is a fair bit more time in the air, but I like the NYC stop over idea. Love NYC...!

Port Valet doesn't cover BA - as it includes checking the bags in and getting boarding passes 😞

https://www.cruzely.com/everything-to-know-about-seattles-port-valet-free-cruise-luggage-transfer-service/

42 minutes ago, techteach said:

I live 5 minutes from the cruise terminal in Seattle. We allow 30 minutes from our door to the airport. If I had a 1:30 international flight I’d leave home at 11:00. September is less hectic than June for traffic and airport congestion.

There will be lots of taxis available at the cruise terminal, most are small Prius’. When we pre-arrange a car service to the airport we pay over $100.00, so if Cunard is charging $80.00 that sounds like a good deal to me, although much more than a cab from the cruise terminal, but our luggage would never fit in a Prius! A taxi/car will drop you in the arrivals area, which is congested at any time of year. The Cunard bus would probably go to a new area at the airport designated for them, so perhaps less stressful.

There is a new international terminal which I haven’t flown out of. We usually fly Alaska Airlines to New York, then BA to Heathrow.

At the cruise terminal there are people standing to look at your paper work — no turnstile or even a place for them to sit.

The drop-off at the cruise terminal is congested to say the least. People have to walk in front of cars pulling their luggage and unlike in Southampton or New York, there aren’t people waiting to whisk away luggage, and there are people who haven’t tagged their luggage standing in the way…just ridiculous! (Note: this was for Celebrity and RCI in the past 2 years) I haven’t sailed HA out of Seattle in over 10 years and I assume Cunard will use the HA berth.

Please feel free to ask me questions, and of course there is always the Western Ports forums. I know most of you aren’t thrilled to be sailing out of Seattle, but I’m excited to finally have Cunard at my doorstep and listen to the QE’s mighty horn every afternoon at sail away.

Thanks for the local, hometown advice! 

As to Uber/Lyft we always book the XL larger version for runs w/luggage. Cost is often minimal over standard size auto. 

Reminder that Cunard’s $80 transfer is on a per person basis vs taxi/Uber/Lyft if cost is a factor. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, techteach said:

I’m sitting at SEATAC waiting to board a plane for Vancouver, BC., to board QE tomorrow morning. It took exactly 30 minutes from home to the airport, which is the same as port to SeaTac. This year there is only one ship on Wednesday, an NCL, which is docked downtown.

Have a great trip.

• Like 1

I take those BA flights for work quite often.  Something that has caught me out in the past is BA check in and bag drop did not stay open between the early flight and the later flight, leaving me stuck with a tedious land-side wait at the airport.  

• Like 2