Dress code suggestions

SPNJHockey

5 hours ago, armwinder said:

The ball cap thing is disappointing, we were on the Prima a few months back and a family came in to Hudson’s all wearing ball caps. They were asked to remove them and they did only to “re-apply” them immediately. No class, some wear them sideways or backwards possibly to look more formal or it could be the locked position. Great to see folks nicely dressed, the ladies usually put in more of an effort. We have done many Christmas cruises and it’s fun to see all kinds of outfits, some dress as elves and there is usually a Santa or two. Families sometimes all dress alike in matching sleepwear and the like. 

You think matching sleepwear in a restaurant is better than a baseball cap? They both need to be banned. 

• Like 1

while baseball caps and jammies might be the epitome of ultra tacky, in the long run does it really matter? I came for the meal. just consider those people part of the "entertainment"

little do they realize, they're probably being laughed at. however, those type of people dont really care. and probably need to be pitied for lack of social skills

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You think matching sleepwear in a restaurant is better than a baseball cap? They both need to be banned. 

Christmas cruises are a little different regarding folks getting dressed up in strange outfits, I would not want to spoil families from having fun and dressing up even though I would not do it myself.  Ballcaps on the other hand need to be addressed by the staff, its all about etiquette. It is after all fine dining in the restaurants and not McDonalds. 

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

while baseball caps and jammies might be the epitome of ultra tacky, in the long run does it really matter? I came for the meal. just consider those people part of the "entertainment"

little do they realize, they're probably being laughed at. however, those type of people dont really care. and probably need to be pitied for lack of social skills

Nicely said, our first Christmas cruise was an eye opener, some years are more entertaining than others. One does hope they wear underwear along with jammies.   

On 9/17/2024 at 5:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

We do Thanksgiving cruises and wear shorts to the buffet for dinner. Our philosophy is that the buffet is more like Thanksgiving dinner at home (and we would be in shorts for Thanksgiving at home). Eat what you want, as much as you want. I don't need to go to the MDR had have a waiter serve me what NCL considers a "Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner". And the buffet often makes an effort by setting all of the tables with tablecloths and festive decorations. 

Well, I figure - we will eat at the MDR as planned... but we could always get a second dinner at the  buffet (or at least... 2nd desert!). Thanks for sharing photos! And your comment about shorts makes me laugh because I was talking to my son about maybe dressing up for the Christmas Dinner and he said "Why? We celebrate Christmas in our underwear at home!". Not true... but we ARE pretty casual. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, complawyer said:

besides, why would you care what a bunch of strangers, that you will probably never,ever see again, much less talk to, in  your entire life, think.

Like I said before.. I wouldn't. My son wouldn't. But my 20 year old daughter? She hasn't outgrown the "needing approval and to fit in" stage you see frequently in adolescent teens and young adults. My daughter actually worries about whether or not we will run into someone she knows on the ship. Yes - that ship that sails from a port that is over 2200 miles from our home to destinations much further away than that. And she is already stressed about being seen in a bathing suite  while on the cruise with total strangers when she is "fat" (she may not be a toothpick, but she is still VERY skinny). And I can hear her now if we are a minority of those dressed casually...  "WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME PEOPLE WOULD BE DRESSED UP FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER?"  Yep - I wouldn't care at all... but she most definitely would.

please, please, please try and convince your daughter not to stress. a cruise is designed and supposed to be relaxing and to chill.

while it's entirely possible she may run into someone she knows, (it happened to my teenage son  in disneyworld, we live in  los angeles) and one of my closest friends in germany. we lived in detroit at the time, he was staying in a youth hostel in frankfurt and ran into a girl from new york.

as they got to talking, and inquired where they were both from, he said detroit and she indicated she knew someone from detroit. turns out it was me, and i was the  only person  in the world she knew in detroit.

small world huh?  if she's going to be that uptight about being seen in a bathing suit, simple solution is dont go swimming, problem solved.

finally, if there are people dressed up for xmas dinner, i assure you they are totally in the minority.

it's perfectly acceptable to dine in any onboard restaurant in jeans.

so again, and we've been on over 30 ncl cruises, and have 2 more booked for  this year, tell  your daughter to take a deep breath, not to worry about any of the situations you mentioned, and just relax and have a good time... that's what cruises are all about.

by the way, if she drinks, make sure she goes to sugarcane for a mojito.. choice of different types, and OUTSTANDING!.

also cant go wrong with the pineapple slices in moderno (to die for, imo)

you never can tell, after a few days on board, she may find all her fears were totally unfounded, and have a better time then any  of  you.

you can have her read this, and i will be happy to answer any questions if i can, and attempt to relieve any doubts she may have,

CRUISING IS THE BEST!!

sorry for the length of this post, even though we dont know each other, i really wish your daughter a great time

19 hours ago, armwinder said:

Christmas cruises are a little different regarding folks getting dressed up in strange outfits, I would not want to spoil families from having fun and dressing up even though I would not do it myself.  Ballcaps on the other hand need to be addressed by the staff, its all about etiquette. It is after all fine dining in the restaurants and not McDonalds. 

The way I look at it is if someone wants to dress below code and not have the requested “etiquette,” it just makes me look better….lol

• Like 1

hey dd, in reality, probably nobody's looking anyway. at le bistro, im too  absorbed with my escargots, onion soup, and lobster thermidor. in  moderno, too absorbed in the salad bar and the pineapple.

consequently, i dont care what anybody else is wearing. if its to outrageous, i just shrug my shoulder and continue with my goodies.

quoting my sainted granny  "to each his own" truer words were never spoken!

• Like 2

I am used to a huge range of outfits in restaurants at home so it's no different on a cruise. We go to some very nice restaurants where dinner will cost you a pretty penny, service and food are top notch and ambience is very nice. I am usually among the best dressed in the room and a lot of others are super duper casual, like a t-shirt and jeans and no, not nice and neat and stylish but kind of sloppy. I couldn't care less, everyone enjoying themselves what does it matter.  My parents were really into high end food and wine and neither of them could ever be bothered to put on dressier clothing.   Sometimes the two do not correlate.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

please, please, please try and convince your daughter not to stress. a cruise is designed and supposed to be relaxing and to chill.

Thanks! Yeah, easier said than done. She did go on one of my previous cruises with me. In fact - she and I sailed on the same ship in the Adriatic a little over a year ago. This is just her age and her own general anxiety - nothing I do will change it. And overall - I know she will have fun. But I also know... bringing the right clothes for the situation will help keep her anxiety in check. 

And yes - we have been living in AZ and my son ran into a schoolmate of his at the Statue of Liberty... so definitely a small world. 

And while she would LOVE to be able to do a little drinking... she is still underage in the US. It was funny - last summer we sailed on the Adriatic. And in Europe, they have been serving her alcohol when I am present since she was 16 in many of the countries I took her to. And she was already 18, legal drinking age in Europe.. but NCL still followed US laws despite only sailing in Europe. I know they are probably legally required to follow US laws - but I find it odd. My son and I just skipped the unlimited drinks package, no sense in us drinking when she is a month and a half too young to join us! 

that's the major issue, there are no "right or wrong clothes" for and ncl cruise. and im sorry i forgot she was only 20. however with signed permission slip, she can order beer and wine. 

since imo they are terriifc maybe i would order a mojito and give it to her on the sly. just saying