Electrical Adapters for South Africa

We are staying in Cape Town at the Victoria and Albert Hotel, and in Johannesburg at the Intercontinental OR Tambo International Airport.  Looks like electric sockets are "all over the place."  Does anyone know what adapters these specific hotels require?  

thanks

South Africa uses a variety of electrical plug types, including C, D, M, and N: 

MOSTLY M.

• Type 😄 Two round pins that are next to each other. This plug is also used in Europe, Asia, and South America. 

• Type 😧 Three round pins in a triangular pattern. 

• Type M: Three circular holes in a triangle shape. This is the most common plug type in South Africa. 

• Type N: Three round pins. 

South Africa's electricity supply is 230V and 50Hz. It can be dangerous to use an electrical appliance that is rated for a different voltage than the supply. You may need to use a voltage converter or transformer to use your appliances in South Africa. Most voltage converters and transformers come with plug adapters. 
  • Like 1

I just spent a couple of weeks in South Africa and never used any of the adaptors we'd brought with us. We used a combination of European adaptors and direct plugged USB cables. We stayed in about 8 hotels and we never needed them so I would recommend not buying them. FYI one of the hotels we stayed at was the Queen Victoria in CPT a sister hotel to the Victoria and Alfred, you'll love the location if you've never been; I'm a bit jealous. 

• Like 1

Thank you all.  We are really looking forward to this.  We are starting our cruise in Papeete and ending in Cape Town...88 nights!!!!!  Then 2 nights in Cape Town and on to Kuger for a Safari and then Victoria Falls before finally returning to reality. This is a culmination of some Covid cancellations. For some reason we thought it would be a good idea to "bunch" them all together.  Wife is taking bets on which of us makes it past day 44 and which of us "unexplainably" ends up taking a "midnight swim" off the back of the ship. All I can say is if she says "Hey honey, come look at this weird thing in the water right below our balcony" I'll probably pass! 😱

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2