Removing items from baggage

currently onboard carnival cruise on boarding 2 of our party had items removed from there suitcases without them being present only a note on bags when delivered to their cabins stating certain items had been removed is this allowed 

Depends what the items were that they removed. There are some things that are forbidden, like hair dryers and power boards with surge protectors, because of the risk of fire. Also any kind of alcohol.  There are clearly stated somewhere in the terms and conditions that you agreed to, when you booked the cruise.

@cruiser3775 is right.  If you try to get stuff on board that is not allowed you run the risk of it being removed.  All passengers should be aware of this and accept the likely confiscation of these items as just par for the course.  If you get away with it, well and good, if not just shrug your shoulders and say 'fair enough'.

Traditionally they will notify you to come to the naughty room to open the case in their presence and collect it, but that is rather time consuming for all involved. Might be worth checking the fine print in the booking T&C to see whether they are well within their rights of removing restricted items. It is acceptable for airline security to do this, so it would be reasonable to expect that ship security are entitled to do this as well.

If they felt that items were being intentionally disguised to be smuggled aboard, the person could be disembarked, so it would pay to tread lightly if anyone felt their personal rights were being infringed.

• Like 1

Confiscated items such as hair dryers, surge protectors, candles etc. are generally returned at the end of the voyage. I remember reading somewhere that someone once tried to bring a crossbow on board! (Pretty sure it was in the US). Seriously? The mind boggles.

I remember on one cruise I was held up because I had a bottle of Micellar water (make up remover) in my carry on. I was eventually allowed to keep it, but the supervisors had a conflab about it for a good ten minutes. Admittedly the bottle was over 100ml, but it sure as eggs wasn't vodka in disguise. These days I decant it into a 100ml travel bottle and haven't had any issues since.

Edited by ceeceeDee