Vision of the Seas Bow Thruster sound

jcl410

I just got off of Vision of the Seas on Thursday. Our outside cabin was on deck two pretty far forward. (The window was inset from the hull by a couple of feet.)

Around 6am, while we were aproaching Baltimore, I was awakened by a whomp,whomp,whomp ... sound. (About two whomps a second.)  My first thought was that it sounded like a an idling diesel on a tug, but looking out the window I didn't see one. Any way, that noise continued (along with a constant, mild whine.) 

When the bow thruster was in use, the tempo of the whomps didn't change. (As an aside, there wasn't any vibration; just the noise. That wasn't too loud either, my wife never woke up.)

Once were tied up, the whomp noise stopped, and the whine spooled down to silence.

Any idea what the noise was?

Aloha,

John     

3 hours ago, davidrlewis2302 said:

Not the winches used for the lines?

Definitely not..... This sound was only until we got to the dock, not while using the winches... We were on a 5 day to Bermuda, and we got to and departed the Royal Dockyard mid-day, and I wasn't in our cabin (nor upon departure)

Aloha,

John

Most likely the anchors.  For passages like up the Chesapeake, the ship will take the bindings off the anchor chains, and loosen them up (perhaps lower the anchor a link or two, and have the windlasses ready to drop the anchors at a moments notice.  If it's windy, the anchor can swing just a bit and keep banging against the hull.  The anchor can also knock due to ship's vibration, even without wind.

Edited by chengkp75