Halloween Cruise Costume Prop?

Hydro ergo

Hi Everyone,

Very oddly specific question here. My partner and I are booked on the Valiant Halloween sailing and are very excited about our costumes. However, we have a prop that "completes the look" that we aren't sure about. It's basically a pool float, the long/flat lounge-length size and style if that makes sense. We cannot figure out if this will be permitted on board. I know a lot of cruise lines don't permit them because they take up too much space in the pool. We wouldn't be using it in the pool, just carrying it with us (vertically, not sticking out everywhere). We would pack it deflated and inflate in our room. We wouldn't bring it to dinner or anything like that, just out for the peak of the Halloween festivities. Does anyone have any ideas? Information has varied from online sailor service chats and they seem to be undecided on anything that isn't a strict policy. They aren't on the prohibited items list. Curious to hear any thoughts! Previous Halloween experience is very welcome!

Thank you all!

T

Deflated in your suitcase, the screeners likely wouldn't even pick it up.  We did the Halloween cruise.last year and the one that ended a day or two earlier the day before.  Last year it was quite a big deal.  My best guess would be that if your prop is getting in the way of others, you'd be asked to take it to your room.  If it isn't bothering anyone, you can carry it till you are tired of it,  If all you do is bring it for photos anc costume judging, you'll be fine.  Absolute worst case, the screeners decide it isn't allowed.....they till confiscate it during the cruise and return it to you on the last night....and you will have wasted suitcase space for nothing,

• Like 1

@cantgetin, thank you!  This is helpful.  We would definitely be courteous of others' space/experience and yes, it's mostly for photos/costume contests etc.  If you don't mind me asking, how was the experience last year?  You said it was a big deal...did a lot of people have elaborate costumes?  We love costuming and were hoping that we weren't out of place with a bunch of people just wearing sheets as ghosts or something! (and no disrespect to any sheet-ghosts or simple costumes out there---as long as you're having fun that's what matters!)  But we were a little curious how much people dress up.  Although, it's pretty much impossible to feel out of place on a Virgin cruise...

thank you!

T

15 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

It's basically a pool float, the long/flat lounge-length size and style if that makes sense. We cannot figure out if this will be permitted on board.

Do you have a picture of it? I'd say whether it's permitted depends on several factors. I would also encourage you to use VV's helpful chat function. I used it the other day to ask about acceptable types of swimwear and got a quick and pertinent answer. You could also reach out to your travel agent, in case you booked using one. Have a great cruise!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I would also encourage you to use VV's helpful chat function

I tried this.  I got different answers from different reps.  One said, "no pool floats in the pool because they take up too much space." When I said I wasn't using it in the pool they didn't really have any useful guidance.  Another one said something along the lines of "we encourage, safe, fun, creative costumes for Halloween."  Another one referred me to the prohibited items list (which doesn't say anything about pool floats).  

Do you have a picture of it?

I don't as it's currently deflated.  But it's similar to something like this in terms of size/shape: Amazon.com: Set of 2 Intex MAT Relax-a-mat Float Water Swim Pool Lake Raft Tube Flotation : Toys & Games

2 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

I tried this.  I got different answers from different reps.  One said, "no pool floats in the pool because they take up too much space." When I said I wasn't using it in the pool they didn't really have any useful guidance.  Another one said something along the lines of "we encourage, safe, fun, creative costumes for Halloween."  Another one referred me to the prohibited items list (which doesn't say anything about pool floats).  

I don't as it's currently deflated.  But it's similar to something like this in terms of size/shape: Amazon.com: Set of 2 Intex MAT Relax-a-mat Float Water Swim Pool Lake Raft Tube Flotation : Toys & Games

Wow, those are really large! You said in your initial post that you don't plan to use them in the pool, did I understand that correctly? How else were you planning to use them? Just to lie down on? I'm not sure I understand how this "completes the look."

2 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

@cantgetin, thank you!  This is helpful.  We would definitely be courteous of others' space/experience and yes, it's mostly for photos/costume contests etc.  If you don't mind me asking, how was the experience last year?  You said it was a big deal...did a lot of people have elaborate costumes?  We love costuming and were hoping that we weren't out of place with a bunch of people just wearing sheets as ghosts or something! (and no disrespect to any sheet-ghosts or simple costumes out there---as long as you're having fun that's what matters!)  But we were a little curious how much people dress up.  Although, it's pretty much impossible to feel out of place on a Virgin cruise...

thank you!

T

Many people went "all out" on costumes, even on the one in 2022 that ended before Halloween.  In 2023, we were made aware of many of the activities in advance so people many people were well prepared.  Even things to eat were Halloween decorated for the entire cruise (very cute).  There was also a very active group on social media that planned our own activities.  VV was sort of Halloween on steroids.  It was almost a second Scarlet Night.  A lot of work for crew, but fun.  My guess is that it will grow each year as I can't think of any activity that was a "bust."   Our group on the had organized a "onesie brunch" which had something like 70 people make reservations (free, but needed for seating) and 60 something in attendance.  We just re-wore those costumes, but there were people who probably needed an extra suitcase for their costumes.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2

@cantgetin woah, this sounds awesome!  I wish our four night was a six or eight night, haha!  How did you find out about the activities in advance?  So far I've received an email that said they would have special themed treats (sounds like the food you mention) and the Halloween Scarlet Night (our Scarlet Night conveniently falls on Halloween).  If there are other events, I want to be sure to pack appropriately.

thanks again!

Wow, those are really large! You said in your initial post that you don't plan to use them in the pool, did I understand that correctly? How else were you planning to use them? Just to lie down on? I'm not sure I understand how this "completes the look.

You are correct, we don't plan to use it in the pool or to lie down on.  It's just a prop to carry around with us for photos/costume contest.  Think of if you were going dressed as a surfer and brought a fake inflatable surfboard with you as a prop, or if you were dressed as Charlie Brown and had an inflatable Snoopy...it "completes the look" of the costume. 

Just now, Hydro ergo said:

You are correct, we don't plan to use it in the pool or to lie down on.  It's just a prop to carry around with us for photos/costume contest.  Think of if you were going dressed as a surfer and brought a fake inflatable surfboard with you as a prop, or if you were dressed as Charlie Brown and had an inflatable Snoopy...it "completes the look" of the costume. 

OK, I see what you're going for. Here's my take: a 72-inch (aka 6 foot) long inflatable raft might be unsafe if, say, you turned around suddenly and knocked someone's drink out of his/her hand, and having gone to a number of water parks in my day, I know some people can be careless and whack people (accidentally) with them. If VV wants to create a safe environment, they might tell you not to bring it around on deck with you. But I think you've got nothing to lose by bringing it with you, I'm sure uninflated it doesn't take up much space in your suitcase.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

@cantgetin woah, this sounds awesome!  I wish our four night was a six or eight night, haha!  How did you find out about the activities in advance?  So far I've received an email that said they would have special themed treats (sounds like the food you mention) and the Halloween Scarlet Night (our Scarlet Night conveniently falls on Halloween).  If there are other events, I want to be sure to pack appropriately.

thanks again!

Our cruise was 14 nights.  I think we surprised the crew and VV corporate the year before when people who weren't on the ship on Halloween night did costumes a couple days before.  We got the ads about treats, etc. that you mentioned.  Our Halloween and Scarlet Night were different, but we had a lot more nights for them to choose from. The only other thing that required a costume was our "Onesie Brunch" which was organized by an individual in a group on another social media site that we can't mention here.  We organized LOTS of activities for our 8 sea days, but most were not Halloween themed. Many people did wear Halloween themed t-shirts, etc around the ship on other days.  I don't think you'll need to pack more than your costumes, and it sounds like you won't need Scarlet night things. 

• Thanks 1