Enchanted Princess - Canada / New England - Oct. 19 - Drink Package Question (sailing out of NYC)

TheBiskit

Hey, y'all.

We're booked on the Enchanted Princess for the October 19-26 Canada / NE cruise that sails out of NYC.  This will be our 18th cruise, but our first on Princess.  We've previously sailed RCCL, Carnival, NCL, and Holland.

We purchased the Premier Package, as it works for us from the sound of it.  I was reading up on some of the Princess information and ran across this on the Princess web site (see attached).  It states that even with the package, we'd be charged for the full price of any alcoholic beverages we purchase while still in port in NYC (and until reaching international waters) on embarkation day.  Can anyone verify whether this is true?  We usually board pretty early and each have a drink or two prior to sailing.  It's not a huge deal -- but I don't want sticker shock if/when we're charged for something we assumed would be included.  And, I'm curious.  😄 

As I mentioned, we're not novice cruisers in general -- just on Princess.  We did almost this same itinerary on NCL two years ago and this wasn't an issue.  However, on NCL, their package is included in the fare (at least it was at the time), whereas the Princess packages are an add-on.  I'm guessing there's something in NY State law that's the reason.  I'm wondering how Princess deals with it in actual fact.  As I said, I just don't want sticker shock.  LOL

We've sailed from ports in FL, CA, WA, TX, NY, Puerto Rico and Canada.  We often get some kind of package, and except for something weird with TX state law, I don't recall this ever being a thing.  I know they charge tax on purchases while in port, so that we're aware of.  

Has anyone who's sailed this itinerary recently run across this?

Thanks, y'all!

IMG_6119 copy.PNG

I did a search in the Princess forum, but didn't have any luck on this, specifically.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be right here, right now.  😄 😄 😄   Apologies if I missed something, but after several pages of no luck, I figured it was best to ask the specific question.

17 minutes ago, TheBiskit said:

Hey, y'all.

We're booked on the Enchanted Princess for the October 19-26 Canada / NE cruise that sails out of NYC.  This will be our 18th cruise, but our first on Princess.  We've previously sailed RCCL, Carnival, NCL, and Holland.

We purchased the Premier Package, as it works for us from the sound of it.  I was reading up on some of the Princess information and ran across this on the Princess web site (see attached).  It states that even with the package, we'd be charged for the full price of any alcoholic beverages we purchase while still in port in NYC (and until reaching international waters) on embarkation day.  Can anyone verify whether this is true?  We usually board pretty early and each have a drink or two prior to sailing.  It's not a huge deal -- but I don't want sticker shock if/when we're charged for something we assumed would be included.  And, I'm curious.  😄 

As I mentioned, we're not novice cruisers in general -- just on Princess.  We did almost this same itinerary on NCL two years ago and this wasn't an issue.  However, on NCL, their package is included in the fare (at least it was at the time), whereas the Princess packages are an add-on.  I'm guessing there's something in NY State law that's the reason.  I'm wondering how Princess deals with it in actual fact.  As I said, I just don't want sticker shock.  LOL

We've sailed from ports in FL, CA, WA, TX, NY, Puerto Rico and Canada.  We often get some kind of package, and except for something weird with TX state law, I don't recall this ever being a thing.  I know they charge tax on purchases while in port, so that we're aware of.  

Thanks, y'all!

IMG_6119 copy.PNG

Howdy @Darlo3 from a fellow Texan!

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum. However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry was off topic there since it concerns a specific cruise line. 

To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Princess Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Enchanted Princess frequent this forum and provide the type of feedback you are looking for.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheBiskit said:

Hey, y'all.

Thanks, y'all!

IMG_6119 copy.PNG

Personally, I've never heard of this, but haven't sailed from any of these states lately--though I have sailed 17 times on Princess and over the last  few years have been buying the Plus package.

What is the source of the verbiage you have posted? Where did you find it?

13 hours ago, TheBiskit said:

Straight from the Princess.com web site.  I screen shot it, then cropped the relevant portion.

I've not heard of this before -- I was actually looking up something else, and just happened to run across this section.  

I went digging and I see where it is:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/terms-and-conditions

If this is happening, I'm really surprised that we haven't heard about it because I've heard no mention on the boards. It's odd because it is included in the terms in one place on the website, but not on other places. I hope they just put this in 'just in case' they decide to implement it. I  have a family cruise from Seattle next year, so will be interested to hear if this is actually happening!

I hope @Kb55kb will be able to tell us what's actually happening on their upcoming cruise.

3 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I went digging and I see where it is:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/terms-and-conditions

If this is happening, I'm really surprised that we haven't heard about it because I've heard no mention on the boards. It's odd because it is included in the terms in one place on the website, but not on other places. I hope they just put this in 'just in case' they decide to implement it. I  have a family cruise from Seattle next year, so will be interested to hear if this is actually happening!

I hope @Kb55kb will be able to tell us what's actually happening on their upcoming cruise.

Sorry -- I should have linked to the post on the web site.  I was actually looking for information on the current fitness classes and schedules (unlimited classes with Premier), and I went down THAT rabbit hole and somehow ran across this.  I searched on here and didn't find anything -- and, as you said, you'd think that would be all over the boards if they were actually doing it.  And I agree, they may have that in there as a CYA or something but it's kind of a "wink, wink, nod, nod" to whatever the rule / law is.  

18 minutes ago, shellers84 said:

I was just on this sailing last week and was able to order drinks with my package in NYC and was not charged for the drinks.

That's good to know -- thank you!  I don't remember having any issue when we did the same cruise on NCL, but this will be our first time on Princess, so I didn't know if they did things differently.  Thank you for the info!