Kyoto Geisha Show

reps23

My husband, 2 SIL and 1 BIL will be travelling to Kyoto before taking the train to Tokyo to board the Riveria for our cruise from Tokyo to Singapore on February 14. We will be in Kyoto from February 8 - 11 and then Tokyo February 11 - 14. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Geisha show, either with lunch or dinner or just a tea ceremony. Looking forward to any suggestions as I always receive the best information from members of Cruise Critic.

Thanks.

Phyllis

1 hour ago, reps23 said:

My husband, 2 SIL and 1 BIL will be travelling to Kyoto before taking the train to Tokyo to board the Riveria for our cruise from Tokyo to Singapore on February 14. We will be in Kyoto from February 8 - 11 and then Tokyo February 11 - 14. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Geisha show, either with lunch or dinner or just a tea ceremony. Looking forward to any suggestions as I always receive the best information from members of Cruise Critic.

Thanks.

Phyllis

May I suggest that you post on Asia site as have found great information before our Japanese cruise onboard Riveria -  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/. We stayed in Tokyo on an Oceania pre-cruise tour and for Kyoto, we took a day tour from Kobe (Golden Pavillon was stunning). 

1 minute ago, WESTEAST said:

May I suggest that you post on Asia site as have found great information before our Japanese cruise onboard Riveria -  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/. We stayed in Tokyo on an Oceania pre-cruise tour and for Kyoto, we took a day tour from Kobe (Golden Pavillon was stunning). 

Sorry just noticed that you in fact did post on the Asia board.

Experiencing a real Geisha show/ceremony is special, but also somewhat pricey.  There are not many options and one does usually need to book far in advance.  Here is a web site you might want to check-out!

Geisha (Maiko) Tea Ceremony & Show in Kyoto Gion Kiyomizu - Tea Ceremony Japan Experiences MAIKOYA (mai-ko.com)

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Experiencing a real Geisha show/ceremony is special, but also somewhat pricey.  There are not many options and one does usually need to book far in advance.  Here is a web site you might want to check-out!

Geisha (Maiko) Tea Ceremony & Show in Kyoto Gion Kiyomizu - Tea Ceremony Japan Experiences MAIKOYA (mai-ko.com)

Hi Hank, I've enjoyed reading your many informative posts. Thanks for the above tip as we'll be in Kyoto in April. Our next one, though, is another trans-Atlantic (which we also love) in November with a stop in Rome. After visiting Galleria Borghese, we're planning on spending the rest of the day in Trastevere. Some months back, you'd mentioned having lunch there. Would you mind sharing the name of your favorite restaurant? Will be our first time in Trastevere, so any other tips will be greatly appreciated. If you'd prefer email, it's jazzlover2 at icloud dot com. Thanks so much.

41 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Hi Hank, I've enjoyed reading your many informative posts. Thanks for the above tip as we'll be in Kyoto in April. Our next one, though, is another trans-Atlantic (which we also love) in November with a stop in Rome. After visiting Galleria Borghese, we're planning on spending the rest of the day in Trastevere. Some months back, you'd mentioned having lunch there. Would you mind sharing the name of your favorite restaurant? Will be our first time in Trastevere, so any other tips will be greatly appreciated. If you'd prefer email, it's jazzlover2 at icloud dot com. Thanks so much.

When it comes to Trastevere, we are novices.  It is a part of Rome where we have spent very little time which is why we had planned an entire day in that neighborhood on a port day this past April,  Unfortunately, the day we were docked in Civitavecchia, the Trenitalia (Italian Railroad) decided to have a 1/2 day strike on the same line that spans the port city to Rome.  With the strike issue, we changed our plans and simply stayed in Civitavecchia since we did not want to gamble on getting stuck in Rome.

However, based on some suggestions from friends and along with some online research we had booked lunch reservations at Grazia & Graziella.  Of course we had to cancel that reservation and have nothing to offer when it comes to Trastevere (it will be on our agenda the next time we get to Rome).   I can tell you that DW and I have previously enjoyed the Borghese.  There also is an attractive park in front of that gallery which is a nice place for a picnic lunch or snack.  Do not forget to book a time slot, well in advance, for the Borghese as they truly limit the number of visitors.

Hank

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I was born in Kyoto, and I still have relatives there.  I just looked at this website.  Looking at this and other things they offer, I am afraid to say this is not really an authentic Geisha experience, but something for tourists with very little understanding of all of this.  I agree, however, that hiring a real Geisha is very pricey.  I know that there are many places in Kyoto that serve tea in a traditional manner (“tea ceremony” as it is called by foreigners, mainly).  I can’ make any particular recommendation, but if you are staying in a hotel, the people there would have a very good idea about where to go.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Here is something rather different.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/planets/

and this is also a great website

https://tokyocheapo.com/

they have other cities as well

happy planning

Thanks for the information.  I have read about team lab and thought that would be interesting to see.  Also, tokyo cheapo looks like a great website.

19 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I was born in Kyoto, and I still have relatives there.  I just looked at this website.  Looking at this and other things they offer, I am afraid to say this is not really an authentic Geisha experience, but something for tourists with very little understanding of all of this.  I agree, however, that hiring a real Geisha is very pricey.  I know that there are many places in Kyoto that serve tea in a traditional manner (“tea ceremony” as it is called by foreigners, mainly).  I can’ make any particular recommendation, but if you are staying in a hotel, the people there would have a very good idea about where to go.

We would love to attend a tea ceremony but would be afraid to wait until we get to Kyoto as thought we would have to book one in advance. If anyone has any suggestions for where to book an authentic tea ceremony, please let me know. Otherwise, we might book one of the shows recommended by Hank.

Thanks again for all you help.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When it comes to Trastevere, we are novices.  It is a part of Rome where we have spent very little time which is why we had planned an entire day in that neighborhood on a port day this past April,  Unfortunately, the day we were docked in Civitavecchia, the Trenitalia (Italian Railroad) decided to have a 1/2 day strike on the same line that spans the port city to Rome.  With the strike issue, we changed our plans and simply stayed in Civitavecchia since we did not want to gamble on getting stuck in Rome.

However, based on some suggestions from friends and along with some online research we had booked lunch reservations at Grazia & Graziella.  Of course we had to cancel that reservation and have nothing to offer when it comes to Trastevere (it will be on our agenda the next time we get to Rome).   I can tell you that DW and I have previously enjoyed the Borghese.  There also is an attractive park in front of that gallery which is a nice place for a picnic lunch or snack.  Do not forget to book a time slot, well in advance, for the Borghese as they truly limit the number of visitors.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. Yes, Italian trains are a source of some anxiety, that's for sure...unlike trains in Japan, by which you can set your watch. We're concerned about the same thing happening in November that you experienced in April, but guess we'll make some plans and hope for the best.

Appreciate the restaurant recommendation. Will check it out. And I have a note on my calendar to purchase tickets for the Borghese next week.

Jan

4 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Thanks, Hank. Yes, Italian trains are a source of some anxiety, that's for sure...unlike trains in Japan, by which you can set your watch. We're concerned about the same thing happening in November that you experienced in April, but guess we'll make some plans and hope for the best.

Appreciate the restaurant recommendation. Will check it out. And I have a note on my calendar to purchase tickets for the Borghese next week.

Jan

While train strikes do happen, most are announced in advance and the odds are in your favor that all will be fine.  We have been to Italy dozens of times and only had train issues, twice!  We normally do not concern ourselves with the schedule on trains from Civitavecchia to Rome.  Just get to the station as early as possible and take the next regional train (no reservations).  We do like to get a return train that leaves us with about a 2 hour cushion, for when we must be on the ship.   

The strike, in April, was almost amusing.  We were on the Oceania Vista where nothing had been announced about a strike.  The morning, we were in Civitavecchia, I stopped at "Baristas" which is the coffee shop/bakery on the Vista.  The Barista, was a guy named Vicenzio, who was from Naples and had become a friend.  While Vincenzo (who is from Naples) was making my Cappuccino, he asked about my plans, and I mentioned we were going to catch a train into Rome to have lunch.  He immediately told me about the strike (which I then confirmed online).  And such is life on the high seas.

Hank

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The strike, in April, was almost amusing.  We were on the Oceania Vista where nothing had been announced about a strike.  The morning, we were in Civitavecchia, I stopped at "Baristas" which is the coffee shop/bakery on the Vista.  The Barista, was a guy named Vicenzio, who was from Naples and had become a friend.  While Vincenzo (who is from Naples) was making my Cappuccino, he asked about my plans, and I mentioned we were going to catch a train into Rome to have lunch.  He immediately told me about the strike (which I then confirmed online).  And such is life on the high seas.

It will be our second time on Vista. Maybe I'll stop by Baristas and hope that Vincenzo is there for an update on the train situation. 😉