Cunard's mobility scooter and wheelchair policy

SoosieSoo

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Your mother might *have been able to avail herself of the one-to-one assistance rather than register for an evac chair.

Guests who are bringing other mobility aids like rollators, crutches etc. must inform us through the completion of the on board needs questionnaire. This is so that we can offer appropriate support, however, please be aware that due to the nature of the cruise experience, we may not be able to meet all requests. We strongly recommend that you are registered for a minimum of one-to-one assistance in the unlikely event of an emergency if you are bringing a mobility aid on board. You can do this when booking.

This form used to be "if you will need assistance." Now it's part of the pre-cruise forms to fill out for everyone. I am fortunate that my answer to all the questions was "no." But they have it on record that I do not require any assistance. So if I sprain my ankle and show up with a cane, what happens?

What about people who request assistance in the terminal? DH could walk at a decent pace and did not use a cane or walker (zimmer), but standing for a long time was difficult for him. For our last few cruises together, I arranged for wheelchair assistance for boarding so he wouldn't have to stand in a long check-in or security queue. What would Cunard say about that? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What would Cunard say about that? 

Who knows, with P&O you'd likely be denied boarding.

That's the problem, there has been no full explanation "mobility aids like rollators, crutches etc." simply does not give enough information in what they want you to provide.

The only real option is to disclose everything at point of sale and take a chance if they can provide assistance on any one particular cruise.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So if I sprain my ankle and show up with a cane, what happens?

That is the million dollar question.  I had sight of the attached document from a travel agent - it can be located on the internet so not confidential.  This is a Cunard document apparently, I've tried to locate s P&O one with no luck.

Basically this document explains to travel agents what actions they are required to do with guests booked before the new policy came into force at the beginning of September.  In several places they direct the agents to refer guests to their insurer.  I have investigated the situation on these referrals with P&O/Cunard's recommended insurer and await the reply on the issue. However an enquiry of my own insurer has been replied to stating they would not cover the items Cunard refer to.

I was told in the case of an injury where a doctor could state I was unfit to travel I would be covered for cancellation based on a doctor's report to that effect, however if I broke my leg I would not be unfit to travel medically as people can and do travel with broken limbs and albeit annoying it is not considered a reason for cancellation cover to come into force.

Cunard/P&O however would apparently check for an evacuation chair being available and if there were none would unfortunately cancel my cruise or allow transfer to another cruise.  If this was short notice the chances of an evacuation chair are a lottery as stated above so cancellation would most likely be the only option with all the problems that would entail.

P&O have apparently cancelled a very large number of cruises - the BBC carried a piece on the issue and the cruise lines refused to give any answers. Others have been told to look at other cruises to move to but because of the numbers involved the lack of evacuation chair availability has precluded those affected from doing so in many cases.

The knock on effect of all this has meant people looking to make new bookings are finding they cannot do so as there are either no disability cabins available or no evacuation chairs making it catch 22 as the OP found.

AccessibilityTradeFAQs_NAM_09032024 (1).pdf

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1