New Zealand missed ports?

23 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm fairly certain Akaroa was the only port for Christchurch in 2018. I don't think the new Lyttelton cruise wharf opened until after the pandemic. I'd still rather go to Akaroa, although Lyttelton harbour is almost as gorgeous.

9 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Correct. Akaroa became the port for cruise ships following the damage to Lyttelton from the quakes. The new terminal at Lyttlelton didn't open till 2022. The benefit of Lyttelton is it's the gateway to Christchurch. But as a port.. it's a bit Meh and Akaroa is much prettier. 🙂 

We cruised to NZ in November 2018 and had a fantastic day in Akaroa. A leisurely breakfast and coffee before going down to the tender deck. We met friends for a pre lunch drink sitting in the sun at the bar/pub almost opposite the pier, then a fish and chip lunch further along the shopping strip - best fish and chips I've ever had I reckon. Then we walked along the waterfront and streets, just enjoying the sun and the lovely town that is Akaroa. Mid afternoon, we tendered back to the ship and sat on our balcony enjoying the harbour views.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 10:44 PM, cbowls30 said:

Thanks for the replies, we're coming from the UK so it's a big, and expensive risk! 

If you are flying that far and have the time I would advise what we do book flights through Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Tokyo if possible and stay a few days there on the way. (These are possibilities from Amsterdam, UK might even have more/different options)

It reduces jet lag splits the long flights and gets you to see another part of the world as well. Most airlines allow this at little or no extra cost.

Happy planning