Ice breakers at dinner

Hey out there DW and I cruising on the Voyager on 4-29-06 it will be just the 2 of us .We are going to the main seating in the dining room ,we obviously do not know who we will be dining with.We will be new to dining with strangers any tips on ways to break the ice with tablemates?We are a little nervous

A smile always breaks the ice when you introduce yourself first, don't wait for your tablemates to pipe up. Then you can start with "Is this your first cruise?" Followed by where did you go and what did you do. People usually won't balk at taking about cruising since you're on one. But they may balk at the personal questions like what do you do for a living, where are you from, etc.

Hey Guys - I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to fall in with your tablemates.. I cruised last year all alone, had a table for 10 and it was wonderful.. you will always have something in common with someone.. and I will tell you this, if you are totally uncomfortable with the people you are seated with, you can always ask to be moved.. dont hesitate to ask.. well hope this made you feel alittle better.. Have a great cruise..

I'm pretty outgoing so I usually just introduce myself and my husband as we get to the table and as everyone else arrives. I also usually say something like:

"Let's mix it up a little this week -- let's try to sit in different seats each night, next to different people, so that we get an opportunity to talk with each other better."

To date, this has worked great. :)

The first night is usually spent talking about where you are from, what kind of work you do, how wonderful the ship is, where your cabin is, what a pain or how easy embarkation was, etc. Typical cocktail party banter.

If you find yourself at a loss for words, you can always discuss the peoplewatching you've been doing or the food. (On one cruise there was this guy who had "pimp daddy" written all over him. He had outlandish and lavish suits, shoulder length hair, lots of jewelry, a cane, and a large "beer stein" type of mug that matched his suit. He was always 15 minutes late for dinner and was sitting about 4 tables over from us -- providing lots of dinner conversation if things hit a quiet patch.)

Hey out there DW and I cruising on the Voyager on 4-29-06 it will be just the 2 of us .We are going to the main seating in the dining room ,we obviously do not know who we will be dining with.We will be new to dining with strangers any tips on ways to break the ice with tablemates?We are a little nervous

Just don't start by asking how much everyone paid for their cruise. Eeek. Personally, I love to hear about the deals that people have gotten, but I've heard horror stories about those conversations :p :p :p

I really prefer dining at the large tables with strangers, it will be easier than you think, you will look forward to going to dinner for the evening chat and you get to find out what other people did during the day. Remember the other people at the table may be just as nervous as you.

I used these before:

"Do you come here often?"

"Don't know if I can handle the steak. Anybody got any Dentu-Grip?"

"I had franks and plenty o' beans for lunch and I forgot my Beano."

"Love the artwork around here - I think the free standing large round balls with liquid in them; like the ones positioned at the entrance of Windjammer, are very interesting."

"Can you imagine! they wanted see all my personal business - my passport, birth certificate, driver's license, etc. What a hassle!!! So, I just snuck my way onto the ship. Really.....it's easy."

It's really the best part of the day! Sharing what you've done, listening to the other's tales of adventure. If you're not sure what to say, then listen! People LOVE to be listened to! Just keep conversation general--no politics, no religion, etc.... You get the idea! You'll have a ball!

I used these before:

"Do you come here often?"

"Don't know if I can handle the steak. Anybody got any Dentu-Grip?"

"I had franks and plenty o' beans for lunch and I forgot my Beano."

"Love the artwork around here - I think the free standing large round balls with liquid in them; like the ones positioned at the entrance of Windjammer, are very interesting."

"Can you imagine! they wanted see all my personal business - my passport, birth certificate, driver's license, etc. What a hassle!!! So, I just snuck my way onto the ship. Really.....it's easy."

ROFL!

It's really the best part of the day! Sharing what you've done, listening to the other's tales of adventure. If you're not sure what to say, then listen! People LOVE to be listened to! Just keep conversation general--no politics, no religion, etc.... You get the idea! You'll have a ball!

That is good sound advice ,keep the politics & religion to youself,also thanks for all the x-cellant replies everyone.

I understand where you are coming from. I had a huge problem on our first cruise because my W (not DW at this point) -said we would get a table for 2 but that never happened. What did happen was that we met another couple,(we had a table for 6 - the other 2 never came) that were absolutely amazing! We had an absolute blast! (DW status then restored). DH status reduced to short form of Richard - from that point onward I was the one that wanted eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main dinning room to meet people!!!! - who woulda thunk?;)

"Is this your first cruise?"

Oh, I get so, so, so tired of being asked that. Especially when the reaction is "you gotta be kidding!!??" for 5 minutes when I say no, it's my fifth.

Also get tired of being asked "Where are you from?" I'm sailing out of Galveston, d'oh. Where are you from? is what I ask the people who work the cruise, they're from all over the world!

Ask if anyone has ever heard of the Cruise Critic boards... 2 cruises ago, it turned out we were seated with another couple who I'd actually been chatting with on the boards and we didn't even know we were on the same dining time, much less table! It was a blast! If no one has heard, you might get someone hooked when you tell them all the great tips you got here...

Well, I am in sales for a living, and can probably offer some tips here.

The main one....never ask strangers a question where the answer can be provided in one word. That would eliminate "Is this your first cruise?" or "So, where are you from?"

It's also helpful to form questions that have positive associations. "So, tell me, what's the most fun vacation you've ever had?" ....."What's the best thing that's happened to you today?"...."What's your favorite thing about living in __________?"

When you lead the conversation toward the positive....it tends to end up that way...like magic!

Question to be avoided when you don't know people....

"What do you think of this whole Iraq situation?" :)

Most of all....relax, be yourselves, treat people well, and have a great time!!

Tracy

Quote from Chorder: "Hey out there DW and I cruising on the Voyager on 4-29-06 it will be just the 2 of us .We are going to the main seating in the dining room ,we obviously do not know who we will be dining with.We will be new to dining with strangers any tips on ways to break the ice with tablemates?We are a little nervous"

------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first read your post, I thought the first question I would ask you after you said where you're from is, "Have you met Stephen King?"....you may get that a lot already, well at least from his fans...

I was/am a little nervous about this too. My TA booked myself and son at a table for 4. I immediately emailed him back and told him to book me at the biggest table possible, as 4 was just too intimate for me, especially if we don't get along! After reading the "Do you buy a round?" thread all today, it's given me a lot more to think about! :D

I think that if you like to meet people it should work out fine! At least that's what I'm hoping!....

Hope you have a great cruise!

Oh, I get so, so, so tired of being asked that. Especially when the reaction is "you gotta be kidding!!??" for 5 minutes when I say no, it's my fifth.

Also get tired of being asked "Where are you from?" I'm sailing out of Galveston, d'oh. Where are you from? is what I ask the people who work the cruise, they're from all over the world!

Keep in mind that people are usually trying to be nice when asking such questions.

You could just buy a round.:rolleyes:

Oh geez (hee hee) I was just reading that thread...! ;)

This is a topic I love to read about because it's always hard for me to break the ice, too. People are so different, and one person's idea of a good topic is a question that drives others crazy! (As evidenced in this board already! :p)

I think the best thing to do is stay friendly and feel out your table mates.

For example, it is often said not to ask about one's job, however, I LOVE my job (I'm a teacher). On my last cruise, I was very careful NOT to ask others what they did for a living, but on the third or fourth night, someone asked me, and as is turned out, she was a teacher as well and we spent the rest of the cruise talking about it!

So go with the flow and have fun! Hope this helps!

To break the ice I always ask the wife what color panties she has on, and if she's wearing bikinis or thongs. I found that gets everyone engaged in the converstion. You'll be surprised at the resppnses I get!

Not only gets your table conversing but also a few other tables around you going to. I'm not brave enough to ask that kind of question

Archived