deluxe oceanview no balcony = larger sq. footage?

longduo

We have noticed that on several Princess ships there are usually 2 cabins forward at the end of a long row of balcony cabins that do not have a balcony, but appear to have all of the square footage of the balcony as part of the cabin itself (such as Tahitian Princess 7006 and 7007, and on Sun, Dawn, Sea and Ocean category CC & C)

Has anyone ever had one of these cabins? We never seem to use our balcony much, but believe we would enjoy the additional cabin space.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Longduo

Yes, my husband and I were upgraded to one of these rooms on our first cruise and it was very nice. We were on the Sun, cruising to Alaska. We had no balcony, but the window was flush with the railing of the balcony in the cabin next to ours. Subsequently, we had a lot more room in our cabin than they did. That is the bonus feature.

Although, on our next cruise we opted for a balcony, if one were not available, I would definitely want to secure one of the cabins with the extra square footage.

Hope this helps.

Oh and another thing, our room was easy to point out on the Princess Sun postcards. LOL

If you have sailed in a balcony cabin before, you might not care for the OV cabin. We were unable to book a balcony cabin on the Sun for 2005 cruise, so settled for an OV. It was nice to have the big window, but in no way replaced the open feeling of having that balcony to step out onto any time night or day.

We feel it is definitely worth the few extra dollars to have a balcony. And we don't mind giving up the few extra feet of interior space.

However, to each his/her own.

We were on the Sun Princess last year and had booked a Cat. DD, "Deluxe Ocean View." room, C-702, because I knew that the balconys are really small on the Sun class ships. While we did enjoy the extra space in the room, I was really ticked that I did not just go ahead and book a balcony stateroom. It's nice to look out the window, but I do like to stick my head out and over the side to see what's happening.

We're going on the Dawn in a few weeks and will have a balcony this time. I know the room will be smaller, but I think it will be worth it.

On the Dawn last April we were upgraded to a CC Rm#A217. It has the extra sq footage that the balcony takes up inside the room, very nice. Window was very large.

Next week on the Sea we also were upgraded to a DD Rm#C307. We are looking forward to it. Each year we book an "E" Cat guarantee and have been upgraded to the larger room each time. Our first cruise we had a balcony and really don't miss having one, we found we didn't use the balcony much either.

Have a great cruise.

Archived