Florida Turnpike Road Trip

MD_Dan

I was aghast at the cost for adults to fly between Miami and Atlanta.  So I arranged for a one-way car rental for $175 total.  Its 650 miles.  And we'll have 15 hours and three seasoned drivers.

- How closely is the 70 mph speed limit strictly enforced.

- How clean are the service center bathrooms?  (I'm traveling with three females)  Compare them to a McDonalds. 

- We have a wide variety of diets.  So I'm thinking we should stop at a Whole Foods.  Is there another place that has a big variety of choices?  We'd rather not spend time at a sit-down restaurant.

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just my experience:

1)  You will be passed by over 99% of the drivers going 70 mph on the Turnpike and/or I-95,  I usually set my cruise control around 76 mph and am still passed (I stay out of the far left lane except to pass) by many.

2)  I've never had any complaints about rest stop bathrooms on either highway.

3)  Publix groceries are ubiquitous and usually offer a wide variety of choices in Florida.

Have a great cruise and a safe drive!

In reference to the speed limit...since living here in FL for over 30 years now...I have never had an issue with setting the cruise control to 79 on I75 or the Turnpike and not worrying....even when passing highway patrol. The rest stops serve their purpose...usually don't find the bathrooms terrible.

Just did Atlanta to cape Canaveral a couple of days ago and have done the whole trip a few times. Miami to palm beach and Macon to Atlanta are crazy. Better to stay right lane below 70 than to compete in the mind games in the left lanes. Rest stops are clean, but we prefer McDonald’s.   Whole foods or publix will be way off the highway. Bucceess probably best option (not saying much) better to stock up in the big city. 

1. There's a 70 mph speed limit here?!? 👀 looks around 👀 WHERE??? Going that slow might be considered a death wish on I-75. Or I-95. Or I-4......you get the idea.

2. Some of the Florida highway rest stop bathrooms could be considered swanky compared to some of the fast-food bathrooms I've been in. 

3. Publix. They're everywhere. Best known for their made-to-order subs.