you're gonna kill me but,

??

I have done 21 cruises and I do know the "real answer". We have talked to many of the waiters and others on all different cruiselines, who gave us great and some, not so great service and they all tell the same stories about pay and family left in other countries, 7 days a week of work, 12-14 hours a day, for 9 months at a time. We had one waiter 5 times in a row and really became good friends with him. I did believe him 100%.

So, I just preferred to post how I look at tipping and not the "truth and factual pay salary of the crew". I will continue to always tip the same no matter what the truth is.

On here The "truth" leads to World War 3 in about a days time because some do not want to believe the truth, could care less about the truth and do not want to tip anyway. :D

That is why I posted my way.

Just my opinion. ;)

Alexis, I agree with you 100%. The reason/purpose of my original post was to gain information as to what the staff receives as a salary. I have heard from this board that it ranges from peanuts to huge sums of money. I just don't want people to think they don't have to tip because they have only read the threads claiming the staff makes big money without the tips.

I just want to know if you people ask your waiters at land based restaurants how much they make? how about your doctors and dentists? kid's teachers? bank tellers? the office janitor?

Probably at least minimum wage.:rolleyes:

Lewdog: I think it is somewhat important that people know whether or not the staff receives decent salaries on the ships as in a number of cases lately, I have read posts indicating they make big money. This information "might" and I stress "might" unfortunately see people tipping a lot less than they possibly could.

Does anybody know if cash or paid on seapass is preferred by the staff? I thought I read that if you pre-pay by seapass it is deposited directly into the staff's bank account and that cash is more of a hassle. I've always paid cash but I'm thinking of using my seapass and adding extra in cash.

Is knowing what they get paid, going help you judge how much to tip? What they get paid has nothing to do with how much you should tip.

To some people yes.

Lets say everyone thought cabin attendant "Joyce" received a base salary of $500.00 per week plus tips of "x" number of dollars.

When in actual fact and reality she receives $50.00-$80.00 per month (as some posters have stated) plus tips.

Would the above knowledge change how much more you would tip if you could afford it? (keeping in mind that some people would and do, look for any excuse not to tip). I realize there are proper guidelines for tipping and if everyone followed them, there would be no need for this discussion. IMO (and yes I realize I started the discussion).:)

On our last cruise our servers had to handle our table plus a table of a large rude family that made the dining room rearrange for them on day 2. They showed up late every day making the staff go get their appetizers and salads even though the kitchen had retooled to entrees. This made the servers work twice as hard and made our service suffer too.

At the end of the week the table of 19 left a tip that was suitable for a table of 3. After working hard all week the server and assistant made so little it was like working for free for 10 days.

Also, look around you in the dining room on the last night of the cruise. How many empty seats are there? At least 10% on both our last cruises. I don't think they were all seasick.

tip

Definition 1

Optional payment given in addition to a required payment, usually to express appreciation for excellent service; here also called gratuity.

A tip is not something you give for poor service or for average service. People that tip for average service are doing a disgrace to future passengers. A tip as defined is a expression for excellant service. You earn a tip, it is not guaranteed.

Now many of my waiters or room stewards have been from Canada,Australia or the UK. These are not 3rd world countries. As for as I know they apply for these jobs and are not forced to work on these ships. If you feel so guilty about what they make then may I suggest you forsake your cruise and donate your cruise fare to the crew of these ships. Please do not try to guilt people into tipping if there service is not up to par. This will only give the next set of cruisers the same subpar service.

Just so you know I tip amazingly well for excelllant service that went above and beyond. I will not tip for poor service and I will tell them why so that the next cruisers may expect better. Happy Cruising all!

we tip the recommended amount,and anything extra that i ask for or good service that i recieve,i pay extra in cash,and i doubt they make more than the officers unless he/she had a good month in tips,and i speak with very good knowledge of how crews are paid on boats,because there was a time when i worked out at sea,and a hellofva lot harder and more dangerous than their jobs are,but it really depends on how were treated and the level of service me and my wife recieve,as to how much we tip:)):rolleyes:

Archived