Marina Alaska Aug 16 - 23: Renovations?

spyhop3

Hi there-

My husband and I are on the Alaska Aug. 16-23 sailing of the Seven Seas Mariner (from Vancouver to Anchorage). This is my first cruise ever and I am afraid I will never be able to cruise less than 6 stars after it :) My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in style. Here is my question:

I read on the press release that the Mariner will be having renovations done on April 18 in San Francisco. Does anyone have any information on what these renovations will entail? I am hoping that it will be my luck to get on a recently renovated ship!

Any information you may have on the renovations - either to the soft goods, hardscapes or service is greatly appreciated!

Happy Sailing to everyone from a Water-deprived patron in Arizona!

Regent is starting a line wide round of upgrades changing out the mattresses, linens and bedding. It is also changing out other items which had the Radisson logo, including painting the ship's stack. All that said, I do not know which renovations will specifically be done then, but it will be an ongoing process. You probably will have some new things, but we will most likely be relying on you to tell us the specifics!

spyhop3, the Mariner departs on April 18 for a Pacific cruise, but the Navigator has a gap between April 18-21 with nothing on the schedule. Unless it is chartered for that short time, perhaps that's when the Navigator is getting spruced up. It is the oldest ship, and it was announced that improvements would be made on her first.

I'm on the Mariner at the end of August, and would love it if improvements are done before then, as I am bringing on several family members and friends for that cruise!

My first RSSC cruise was on the Mariner in Alaska in 2001. Since then, we took one mass market cruise on Celebrity when the Millennium was new, and I can tell you, that for me, there is no going back again. The only thing that I found better on the bigger ships is that the entertainment is more varied because there are more people with a greater need by the cruise line to cater to a wider audience. Other than that, give me open seating dining, bigger staterooms with wonderful amenities, and service that more than make me feel pampered. I will have 80 plus days on RSSC next year. We travel more now because of enjoyment of the RSSC experience.

Regent has confirmed to me that there will be some of the renovations and improvements installed on the Navigator in late March into mid April during turnarounds between cruises (and the, I believe, short charter). It would not surprise me if some of the work was done on the Mariner in advance of its Pacific itinerary.

The Mariner already has new beds. The day we got off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale at the end of March, they were bringing in the new mattresses. The new mattresses I believe were innerspring posturepedics. They are not foam mattresses, which I actually prefer. We had our choice of foam or feather pillows also during our cruise. I also believe I heard they were up-grading their linens, but we didn't see those.

Thanks for such a quick response to my question. It is good to hear that we will have new beds! I am sure the new linens will be in place by the end of August. I will write a review of the ship in great detail when I land at the end of August. Until then, I look forward to hearing anything about the Mariner and the upgrades on the boards.

Happy Sailing!

Archived