I know a stupid question, but I will ask anyhoo...

vesw01

If you are on a Carnival cruise during a hurricane and like some posters have said - never get to any of the ports...don't they technically owe you a refund on your cruise, since you never had the chance to get off at the first port with the guarantee? Wouldn't be getting back to home base then be your first port?

Just a thought

If you are on a Carnival cruise during a hurricane and like some posters have said - never get to any of the ports...don't they technically owe you a refund on your cruise, since you never had the chance to get off at the first port with the guarantee? Wouldn't be getting back to home base then be your first port?

Just a thought

NO.. you get a credit per port missed! This has be discussed a brazillian times .. If you are lucky you get a full refund.. but not likely!

Why do people have to be nasty???? Geeez........

vacation_guarantee.gif When it comes to fun, Carnival's got you covered. We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we offer the only money-back guarantee in the cruise industry.

Simply book your "Fun Ship" vacation and sail away:

• If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise experience
  • Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.
  • Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.*

So what I am saying here is .... if the return to port that you started from is your first port and you aren't completely satisfied.............boy I was just throwing it out there as food for thought...

if the return to port that you started from is your first port and you aren't completely satisfied

I never thought of that. If you are on a cruise that does not go to a port and one is not satisfied. What can I say, a loophole.

Has anyone ever taken Carnival up on their Guarentee?

Ok, I guess I am just going to be a pain tonight..... so if you go on a cruise that the first port is Key West you can still continue on and then leave ........

I know this is a silly thread, but sometimes we all need a little silly.

Why do people have to be nasty???? Geeez........

vacation_guarantee.gif When it comes to fun, Carnival's got you covered. We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we offer the only money-back guarantee in the cruise industry.

Simply book your "Fun Ship" vacation and sail away:

• If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise experience
  • Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.
  • Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.*

So what I am saying here is .... if the return to port that you started from is your first port and you aren't completely satisfied.............boy I was just throwing it out there as food for thought...

I think the key phrase is "Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare". Since you completed the cruise, albeit without any ports of call besides your port of embarkation, Carnival probably would not refund your cruise fare.

Carnival is generally very good about these things. They monitor storms and by the day you leave, they pretty much know if your itin is going to be a problem... they generally will change the ports, or make it a cruise to nowhere, or shorten it, or lengthen it... it's rare that something happens that makes it a cruise to nowhere.. it happens on occasion, but it is rare. I wouldn't worry too much..they will do the best they can. When they change it like that, they give you an option to cancel, or go generally with a credit and future discount depending on the changes

Ok, I guess I am just going to be a pain tonight..... so if you go on a cruise that the first port is Key West you can still continue on and then leave ........

I know this is a silly thread, but sometimes we all need a little silly.

That is an interesting question. You would have to stay on after Key West and then get off, but then your amount of unused cruise money goes down.

How do they determine the amount of the unused cruise? Do they break it down per day?

That is an interesting question. You would have to stay on after Key West and then get off, but then your amount of unused cruise money goes down.

How do they determine the amount of the unused cruise? Do they break it down per day?

They break it down per hour ;):D

Well then if they do it by the hour, I wonder if I can get reimursed for the time I spent at the muster drill - important I know, but not fun. If I paid $399 for the week and figure about 168 hours on the cruise.. they owe me $2.38 .... will that be cash, check or cc?? We don't accept Amex

we did the dumb thing..booked a cruise in oct last year...hey it was so cheap along with the military discount....yea..we were on the glory (2nd time) key west, belieze and cozumel ....well, ya cant blame the weather, we knew dang well it was hurricane season!!! so....we went to nassau ( our least favorite), san juan (phooey) and st thomas for the 3rd time i a row. i called carnival, they changed the plans overnight to remove ithink costa maya they said we will receive a $20 credit. costa maya is a hole, but we booked the cruise with 4 stops in mind....the food on this cruise was terrible on the buffet. hardly any desserts, the yr before we had alot to choose from and the same pork roast 3 meals in a row. so i dont know if this was all due to yucky time of yr or they just deceided to scrimp on the chow!! goin in may this yr!!

First-time cruisers are unlikely to have heard of the "Jones Act,"

from

http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

The Jones Act

from

http://www.cruiseco.com/Resources/jones_act.htm

Ok, I think I have a stupid question. In that second link it said the ship was leaving Miami for the Mexican Riviera. Isn't the Mexican Riviera the western side of Mexico (where Fred is going!) in cruise talk? They wouldn't leave Miami to go to the Riviera, would they? :confused:

I know Royal and Carnival both call the western side the Mexican Riviera because I have been pricing it for next summer!!! :D

costa maya is a hole

WOW, I wonder if you went to the same Costa Maya I was last week, I had a great time, I had a private beach to myself, had my own waiter serving up chips and salsa and beer and laying in my hammack. Costa Maya tops my list in Cruise Ports, and I cant wait to get back there.

Our Private Beach:

IMG_8379_420x280.jpg.c70a1db33cea0089634ebcb23b52a6cb.jpg

I had read this thread earlier today and really had no comment, but as I was reading yesterday's USA today (3/31/06) in the life section the identical question was asked of one of their travel experts. (I looked for the link but it is not online yet.)

The answer was rather lengthy but explained the situation in detail and discussed "non commissionable charges", which we lay people refer to as "port charges".

Bottom line, non commissionable charges are not refundable no matter how many ports are missed and if your ship never stops at a port the "guarantee" never comes into play.

Archived