How many times have you been asked?

JackieH

Or have you been asked , "Are you bringing the kids?".. This will be our 2nd cruise coming up in August. We are going on the Valor. The first cruise was almost 3 yrs ago with 2 kids. NOw we have 3 kids. Anyways, anytime I tell somebody Im going on a cruise they first thing they say is "Are you taking the kids?"... I mean if I told people I was going to Disney they would never ask me this question.

To some people it is so suprising that we are taking all 3 kids:eek: , and I could never figure this out. At the time of our cruise our kids will be 12, 7, and 2. Sure the 2 yr old wont remember the cruise, but the rest of us will.

I could never imagine leaving town without my kids. I have a different theory then most, the kids will be grown up and gone before I know it. SO why not travel with them now, while we can.

It's so true! LOL

I agree with you, they will be grown and gone before we know it...So I don't want to miss a second! (OK, sometimes I wouldn't mind a little break!!)

As to remembering the trip, even if they don't have an actual recollection of a particular excursion, I do believe that the experiences have a positive effect. Just as traumatic or negative experiences can impact a child's development in an adverse way, I believe that happy experiences have a beneficial effect.

A child who is well traveled from a very young age will be different from one who has never had those experiences. I think of it as the "landscape" of their minds. The landscape of a well traveled child is so much broader and diverse. JMHO.

You never know how a travel experience will affect a child...For example, we took DS, then 5, to Pompeii, simply because it was a place to stop to break up a long road trip. I had been before, and knew it would enable him and DD (then 18 months) to run around and burn some energy in a relatively safe environment (relative for Europe, and considering there was no traffic! LOL) That sparked a love of "ruins" in him. When I was planning the trip we took this past Feb., and I told him we were thinking of another cruise, I asked him what he would most want to do. He said "see more ruins" (we had gone to Dzibulchuan on our first cruise.) So, I choose the Miracle and we went to both Altun Ha and Chacchoben. He loved it! We have booked the Freedom for next year, and he is absolutely thrilled at all the Greece and Turkey itinerary has to offer. He'll be 8 on that trip...

I think traveling instills a confidence, awareness and perspective in children that pervades the other aspects of their lives.

Plus, even if they won't exactly remember the trip, they sure are having fun in the moment! And as a parent, that thrills me!

Happy cruising!

Yes, the first question is "are you taking the kids?

and the second question is "isn't it expensive to take them?

I try to explain to people that it is cheaper to take them on a cruise that to take them to Disneyworld for a week but they just don't get it.

My kids are all grown up now (except for a 12 yr old) and they still go with us, its our anual family vacation.

We take trips alone, as a couple, as well as bring the kids along. We always try and give our kids many experiences. But it is just as important to spend time alone, as a couple, as we have had some wondeful times together.

We take trips alone, as a couple, as well as bring the kids along. We always try and give our kids many experiences. But it is just as important to spend time alone, as a couple, as we have had some wondeful times together.

I have heard this a lot from people. We are a one income family and we only travel one time a year, so it is always a family vacation .Plus, we do not live in a state with any family so leaving the kids even over night(Unless it is a sleepover for one of the older kids) is never an option.

We have had the same questions. It's a family vacation and they are coming. Yes, it's pricey, but to pay someone else to watch all 4 kids would also be costly. This is one of those times when you get to spend and experience life together. Family first!

NCL Dream with 4 on 4/8

We talking about our last cruise I would always say, "O we're all going on a cruise in November" our "We're taking the kids on a cruise."

Then the question I would usually get asked is "Oh are you going on Disney?" I guess Disney does a great job of marketing thier cruises as the ultimate family vacation. However, we did Celbrity, and they do a fantastic job with kids, as I have also heard about Carnival and Royal Carribean, and even HAL on some iteneraries.

We took a cruise 2 1/2 years ago for our 10 year anniversary, and it was a great chance to get away for just the two of us, but about half the time we enjoyed not having the kids, and half the time we said "Oh the kids would really get a kick out of this".

My kids are grown. I only took them on one cruise, because we came to cruising fairly late ourselves. But I'm with you - when the kids weren't with us on vacation, we usually were saying "oh, DD would like this", or "DS would like that". We can't wait to take a family cruise with our 4 kids, their spouses, and our granddaughter. I love vacationing with the kids! And I'm fortunate that they actually like vacationing with us and each other.

And so what if kids are "too young to remember"? Gosh, I've heard that so many times! So what? We'll remember. It's not just about them!

I&MsMom I soooo agree with you!! My son is 5(almost 6) and we have travelled internationally with him since he was 5 months old. Yes it was more cumbersome with all the BSE (baby suopport equipment) but oh so worth it.

I agree that in the long run they don't remember exact experiences but he definetly remembers happy times with mom and dad.

my reply is always "of course"

We are a family. We do things as a family. I'd no more consider not taking our DD as I would consider "not taking" my DH.

I HAVE not taken my DH once...lol. But NEVER my kids :D ;)

Our kids go where we go. We would never ever consider leaving them at home. I don't think I could relax for one second knowing my children were somewhere else without us.

So from 7 months on, the kids are cruising kids. :)

Or have you been asked , "Are you bringing the kids?"...

Oh my gosh, people even asked me this when my son was only 1-yr-old. I was like, um, yeah, of course. Anyway, I go on vacation to get away from the tedious stuff in life, not to get away from my boy! Besides, he enjoys travel so much that I couldn't bear not to take him ;)

Our kids are 11 and 15 and we still occasionally get asked if we're taking them with us. Not a big deal. We'll be taking them on their third cruise this December. We had taken them on 2 previous cruises, the first one in 1999.

I had a travel agent try to talk me into leaving my son at home. She wanted to know if there was anyone who could watch him, I explained to her Mommy didn't want to leave him at home, he's 10 months old, and we tried 10 years to have him. Needless to say she didn't get my business.:D He's a mamma's boy! Deb

Our friends just know now that we always take the kids, so they don't bother asking. The occasional stranger we strike up a conversation with is usually surprised we take the kids.

The funniest thing is my mom still takes us too.

Last fall, they went to Hawaii on their own (planned too short notice and too pricey for us to go) for one cruise and they didn't really like it. I think they missed having all the energy and action of having all of us kids and grandkids around.

I guess everyone is different. Some people want a vacation to get away from their kids. We take a vacation to spend more time together. To each his own.

I guess everyone is different. Some people want a vacation to get away from their kids. We take a vacation to spend more time together. To each his own.

I totally agree. Since we only get one vacation a year,we want to spend time as a family.

We've booked 2 cruises this year so I have 2 different responses - no in June and yes in December. DH and I are going by ourselves this June on a 4-night to the Bahamas. The kids will be with the grandparents so this is a big vacation for them too! In December, my parents are taking all of us on a 7-night Caribbean. I really can't wait for that one!

Mel

I'm so scared that I'm taking my 2 year old and 5 year old to Alaska on HAL. We (as long-time readers of these boards know) pondered leaving 2 year old at home but in the end decided to bring her...

Friends who have been on these cruises have described them as "2000 angry sets of eyes glaring at you all the time" and "this cruise was not for children." I've been warned by owner of cruise travel agency, friends, and some internet posters not to do it. So it isn't even a matter of people asking me! They are warning me not to do it!

Well, we're doing it anyway, because in the end, we're a family and we're all going. Here's hoping it really is okay...

I'll let you all know in July whether it works or doesn't!

Or have you been asked , "Are you bringing the kids?".. This will be our 2nd cruise coming up in August. We are going on the Valor. The first cruise was almost 3 yrs ago with 2 kids. NOw we have 3 kids. Anyways, anytime I tell somebody Im going on a cruise they first thing they say is "Are you taking the kids?"... I mean if I told people I was going to Disney they would never ask me this question.

To some people it is so suprising that we are taking all 3 kids:eek: , and I could never figure this out. At the time of our cruise our kids will be 12, 7, and 2. Sure the 2 yr old wont remember the cruise, but the rest of us will.

I could never imagine leaving town without my kids. I have a different theory then most, the kids will be grown up and gone before I know it. SO why not travel with them now, while we can.

Me and My dh just started cruising last year and both of our daughters are both in there 20's one just graduating college and one just started an established business so they both have different lives from us and are very busy, so I say if you can spend as much time with your kids on these vacations I say go for it. I wish we would have started cruising earlier because it's a blast. Well we will just wait until they can make it to go along.:D :D :D

We talking about our last cruise I would always say, "O we're all going on a cruise in November" our "We're taking the kids on a cruise."

Then the question I would usually get asked is "Oh are you going on Disney?" I guess Disney does a great job of marketing thier cruises as the ultimate family vacation. However, we did Celbrity, and they do a fantastic job with kids, as I have also heard about Carnival and Royal Carribean, and even HAL on some iteneraries.

We took a cruise 2 1/2 years ago for our 10 year anniversary, and it was a great chance to get away for just the two of us, but about half the time we enjoyed not having the kids, and half the time we said "Oh the kids would really get a kick out of this".

I have a different comment from some coworkers, when I happened to mention that we were going on a cruise or going to Las vegas, she said something like...Oh isn't is nice that your husband will take you on such a nice vacation, I wish I had a husband, by then I was boiling. Like why am I here at work, so I can pay for my own things???:mad:

We have taken out three children on so many cruises. It is my favorite vacation. The first time was to Alaska way back in 1990. Only had the one small one and he was just 4 at the time. We all had a great time. Back then, sailing to Alaska was relatively new and there were only 4 kids on the entire ship. Needless to say, those 4 had many, many "grandparents" on board. We did go to Alaska again with all three and again we had a great time but there were alot more children then.

We have done Disney, Carnival, RCC, Princess, Norwegian and always the kids have a wonderful time and make many friends. Presently, my 20 year old son is dating a girl he met on the last cruise over the Christmas holiday. Funny, we had to go all the way to the Caribbean for him to meet a girl that lives 10 minutes from us!!

We have also done the Panama Canal cruise which was fabulous! I think that my kids have seen alot of this world and country simply because we do cruise with them.,

Our next cruise is this August. We will be sailing for 10 days in Europe. This is the first time that we will be in Europe. I signed onto the Roll Call and saw comments like "hope that there aren't too many kids on board" or "well, it is a pricey trip so there shouldn't be too many of them and school starts soon after" I posted that I was travelling and would like to join the roll call and they keep ignoring me! Someone from the UK posted that unfortunately, the UK kids have holiday those 2 weeks.:D I will let you all know how many kids end up on the ship.:D

• 2 weeks later...
my reply is always "of course"

We are a family. We do things as a family. I'd no more consider not taking our DD as I would consider "not taking" my DH.

Stated very well! I think by now people know better than to ask us that question.

We never went out to dinner without our foster daughter, why would we dream of cruising without her? She came to live with us in September '04 and we took her on her first "real" vacation ever (a cruise) that December. We adopted her last September and still have never gone out to dinner without her. By the end of this year she will have been on her third cruise, been to Disney World and Aruba. Yes, she is very lucky, but we are blessed.

We always brought our daughter on all of our vacations. The only exceptions were two cruises when she was in college and had classes.

She is now 22, graduating with her Master's (Elementary Ed), and will be with us on our cruise to Bermuda in June.

Archived