First Things to Take Care of After Boarding

I know that you should try and book spa reservations the first day and Portofino reservations...anything else? Also, do these need to be booked in person or can they be done from the cabin phone (or is it hard to get through by phone)?

I know that you should try and book spa reservations the first day and Portofino reservations...anything else? Also, do these need to be booked in person or can they be done from the cabin phone (or is it hard to get through by phone)?

If you want a soda card, purchase that because if I remember correctly, they are only available for purchase for a limited time.

Eat. Drink. Drop off your carryon.

Take your camera....if you get on early, it's a great time to get pix of the ship without 10 million people in the way.....I kind of like pix that are free of as many people as possible. Not sure why, i just like clean shots as much as possible.

then eat and drink more.

joshkathy- RELAX!! It's not going to be as bad as you think LOL! I have decided to do spa treatments last minute and never had a problem getting an appointment. The only one I would say IS important is the specialty restaurants. SO.... get on board, get some lunch and a drink...... check out your cabin....then go explore the ship. Check out your table in the dining room, make your specialty reservations, stroll the ship..... you can check out the spa, they will be doing tours of the facility the first day. take advantage of that and then you can make reservations right there if you want.

Don't make it stressful, everything will be right there for you either in announcements or in the compass, they don't leave you in the dark. It's vacation you shouldn't have to rush!

P.S. I usually wait until the SPA starts offering specials mid-week, you can get good deals especially if it is a slow week for them. :)

~Jen

Thanks, Jen...I'm asking these questions because I DO want to relax...especially after the minutae's been addressed. This is our fourth cruise...just our first on RCI and each line is different, thus the many questions (we sail next week). Thanks for the info on all our threads!

Drop off carry-on, take pics of room before it gets messy, have lunch, make ressies for Portofinos and Chops, buy your wine package. Lastly, get your first drink and start to relax, you are on vacation!! Jeez! I can't wait till August.

When you board the ship and get your Sea Pass, you will see what dining time you are assigned and the number of guests at the table. If you have any issue with that at all, go to the maitre d' as quickly as possible to try to correct the matter.

He is usually stationed at one door or other of the main dining room. There will probably be a line of supplicants asking for seating or time changes or both. Note: If the ship is full, he may not be able to help you. However, you can try again the next day or two, because there always does seem to be a musical chairs waltz as guests discover they are not compatible with their tablemates or they require changes for any number of perfectly legitmate reasons.

Also, when you board you may have to head to guest relations to iron out any problems that may have already arisen. For example, our last cruise my husband's Sea Pass stated he was Platinum but mine erroneously said I was Gold Crown and Anchor staus. It was just a mistake. Things happen, but they should be resolved early.

I like to check out our table in the dining room- if a size/location change needs to be made it can be done right away. Happy cruising!

I usually do this first thing, but in my experience when I ask to see my table and location they always act like they are really doing me a favor and that I am asking the impossible. Is there some kind of etiquette rule to asking to see your assigned table when you board the ship? Should it only be done during certain times???

My suggestions for Day One:

After boarding the ship and if your cabin is available, go there first to drop off your carryon luggage. I'm another one that will take pictures of the cabin before unpacking while everything is in order. Once that is done DH/I do the most important thing on our first day....

We grab each other's hands, jump up and down in our cabin like kids and say "We B Crusin' Baby!". So after getting that little bit of personal craziness out of us, we head out of our cabin and do the following...

• Place Passports, miscellaneous documentation and other valuables in the safe.
  • Reservation at Portofino.
  • Locate table in the dining room.
  • Eat lunch.
  • Take pictures/video of all the public rooms on the ship. Less people around and you can get a true picture of what the rooms look like when it's not crowded. This also will familarize you with the layout of the ship.
  • Grab a drink or two or three! LOL
  • Purchase soda card and/or wine package.
  • Go back to cabin and jump up/down like kids again since reality of vacation is truly setting in.
  • If luggage arrives, then I unpack to get it over with.

I normally don't get any spa treatments but as a previous poster mentioned, specials will be advertised in the Cruise Compass during the cruise so you don't have to book right away unless you have a specific day/time.

Whatever you do, go at your own pace, absorb each minute of your vacation and have a great time.

What ship will you be on?

Have a fantastic cruise and enjoy!

I like to check out our table in the dining room- if a size/location change needs to be made it can be done right away. Happy cruising!

How do I know where my table is? I don't see anything in the docs?

Hi

DH/I don't jump up/down on the bed. He's tall and would smash his head on the ceiling. I'm petite so I would be fine. We jump up/down on the floor... it's safer that way. :D

You'll find out your table number on your SeaPass card. If there's another way of finding out prior to the cruise, I'm definitely interested in finding out.

Happy Cruising!

If you want a soda card, purchase that because if I remember correctly, they are only available for purchase for a limited time.

Actualy, on the sailings I've been on, you could buy any time durring the cruise. The cost is per day. This is key, as I was advised to purchase the card on the second day of the cruise because if you buy the sticker before reaching international waters, you pay sales tax for the value of the card for the whole sailing. This could negate any savings you might achieve by using the sticker the first day than paying for sodas as you go. IF you are going to buy the sticker, buy it on the second day to save the most money.

How do I know where my table is? I don't see anything in the docs?

Bigbudman- your table number isn't in the docs. It's printed on your SeaPass so you'll have to wait until you get on the ship to find out your table number.

ciship- we've always just gone the wander-around-the-dining-room route to find our table and haven't had any problems. If the waiters have been distracted, perhaps they were preoccupied with setting things up?

Archived