Lost luggage from port to ship, what to do?

I didn't think that luggage would get lost from it being placed at the port to making it onto the ship. I read the other post how luggage was lost from ship to port terminal. I usually pack a carry on with meds and valuables, but with a family of 4 traveling; packing a couple of days worth of clothes for each of us results to one good size heavy bag.

So what do people do if they don't have any clothes to change into. How does the ship crew handle the situation. Do they allow the people into the dinning room with their shorts. Oh what looks and talk that would create.

Prior to our Serenade cruise out of San Juan, I read a post where a pax luggage went on the wrong ship.... tags similar or something. Serenade of the Seas / Sovereign of the Seas SOTS and SOTS. Not real sure of the exact details.... seem to remember the cruise line gave them a credit and they purchased some clothes in the shops onboard. But doesnt sound like a very good time for me ( I took 13 pairs of shoes on my last cruise :D )

One of our cruises my brother's luggage was placed on the wrong ship and he didn't get it until the last stop. :( The ship gave him a $50 allowance to purchase a few things and also got him some crew clothing so he could wear, other than that I don't reallly remember what he did. Probably bought a few more things at the islands. I believe if you have insurance it will cover your cost to buy the things you need. What I do now when I pack for all of us is to mix all of our clothes up in all the suitcases that way if one of ours is lost, we still have clothes in the other suitcases.

My boss just returned from the Valor......2 pieces of luggage ended up on the Victory, she had flew in the day before so she handed all the luggage to the porter at the pier and tipped him $10.....all she had was the clothes she came to the ship with and the dirty clothes she wore on the plane and stuck in the outside pocket of her dtrs suitcase...Carnival gave her $175 shipboard credit, a gold top and black skirt and a fruit basket.

They said the airlines would not fly the lugage to her next port because it had been left unattended.....they also washed her laundry every day. She alternated the 2 outfits daily...wore the black skirt and gold top on both formal nights and someone she met lent her a swimsuit.....her first and last Canival trip.......the motto is to put some outfits in your carry on and mix your lugage with your travelmate.

My boss just returned from the Valor......2 pieces of luggage ended up on the Victory, she had flew in the day before so she handed all the luggage to the porter at the pier and tipped him $10.....all she had was the clothes she came to the ship with and the dirty clothes she wore on the plane and stuck in the outside pocket of her dtrs suitcase...Carnival gave her $175 shipboard credit, a gold top and black skirt and a fruit basket.

They said the airlines would not fly the lugage to her next port because it had been left unattended.....they also washed her laundry every day. She alternated the 2 outfits daily...wore the black skirt and gold top on both formal nights and someone she met lent her a swimsuit.....her first and last Canival trip.......the motto is to put some outfits in your carry on and mix your lugage with your travelmate.

I'm surprised that your friend would take from this experience "first and last Carnival trip". The luggage handling is done by longshoremen, not the CL, and in any event, lost luggage is inevitable from time to time, regardless of CL, Airline, or whatever.

I think the shipboard credit, loaner formal, daily laundry and fruit basket was quite nice and appropriate response!

Anyways, hope the luggage eventually caught up with her.

I have had my luggage placed on the wrong ship when traveling with RCI. Fortunately, it was only one of my bags but it held all of my evening clothes. This was also a very bad experience with RCI. I did get a shipboard credit for some clothes but there is not much on the ship to buy. I think the credit was $100. The thing that drove me crazy was that they knew exactly where my bag was but still had me fill out multiple forms and kept sending me form letters telling me that they were trying to find it - check the airlines, etc. First, I was told that it would be left at Labadee so I could get it then. because the other ship was there the day before us. That did not happen. Then I was told that it would be at the next port - again no. During all of this they never called me to keep me informed - I had to call them to find out the latest story on my luggage. Then it was some story about who took it out of the country and customs regs. I got it when I returned to Miami. Never any sort of apology - as though it was my fault and I created the problem. Loved the question about - has this bag been out of your sight. Well, it went on an E.Caribbean cruise, while I was on a W.Caribbean cruise. Lesson learned - always pack a change of clothes in your carry-on ( never know when or if luggage will appear), mix your evening and day clothes in two bags, and directly give your bag to a porter who is only taking bags for your ship. And no the baggage tags were not similar for the two ships, different colors and different letters. Travel and learn - things happen but they do not have to happen twice.

I didn't think that luggage would get lost from it being placed at the port to making it onto the ship. I read the other post how luggage was lost from ship to port terminal. I usually pack a carry on with meds and valuables, but with a family of 4 traveling; packing a couple of days worth of clothes for each of us results to one good size heavy bag.

So what do people do if they don't have any clothes to change into. How does the ship crew handle the situation. Do they allow the people into the dinning room with their shorts. Oh what looks and talk that would create.

Through no fault of the cruise line my luggage was placed on the wrong ship (this being my first cruise I was clueless and allowed an aggressive porter help me with my bags). I was on Millenium and my luggage was on RC. This was on Sunday and we finally ended up at the same port on Wed so was able to retrieve my luggage then. The crew of the Millenium was wonderful-they did my laundry each evening for no charge, sent a fruit basket and tshirts for me and my cabin mate, supplied me with curling iron and formal clothes. Luckily I had packed a few items of clothing in my carry on. I got a call each day from the desk asking if there was anything I needed. What could have been a disaster turned into a wonderful experience. I had purchased travel insurance so was able to be reimbursed for on ship purchases of some clothing and other items. Satine

We flew NWA from Cle-Detroit-Amsterdam & then switched plane to Venice on KLM. We were at the carousel as the luggage came flying down in front of us but none of it was ours. Then the guy puts the door closed & states that it all of the luggage. We called him over told him 2 A.T Hardcase 30" bags. He pointed to a gal at a typewriter in a window to take our claim. We gave her our spare baggage tag that was filled in and she got a call that they have it in Amsterdam & it is on the next flight. We hear the call from Princess Golden to board bus, so we left telling them to get it to us on the ship. That night after dinner, no luggage & it was 5 hours later.

The Captain, who we were friends with as he lives near our timeshare on Maui, so we do things together. He got an officer exclusive for our luggage. Turns out KLM put it on a flight back to Amsterdam after it arrived. So it will meet us in Monte Carlo. So now we have formal night & I asked the purser what they are doing about this or do we wear our sheets to dinner in a toga style? I told him to meet with his Captain on taking care of us. 2 hours later we are paged & taken to the tux shop where I got a tux jacket but no pants, I wore black shorts under it with black hose. We were a hit! Yes, we got seated at the Captains table with him laughing away, that I never stop surprising him.

Another great Princess cruise, not with our friend as Captain, was S Carib & our mini suite upgrade was 140 degrees inside. We went to the Purser to tell them, an officer went to our stateroom saw we had AC on 55 & it was 85 in it. So he called a technician to fix the AC & get it on high. They bought us Asti for dinner, then we did the show, and then returned to our room which was still hot. Back to the Purser & they tell us the tech was there & AC is fine. Then I am reading the paperwork on the counter & it state 233 visited & we are 223. Tech is off til morning. So we told them to move us to better accomodations since we are not unpacked & too hot to sleep there. She states they're sold out. So we got pillows & blankets & got comfy on the sofa in front the her. An officer arrives at us telling us we cannot sleep there. So go to our stateroom, cool it off so we can go there or fly us home to your expense with total reimbursement for a cruise that we have no stateroom for. AMAZING THEY MOVED US TO A SUITE NEXT DOOR! Why not 7 hours ago????

Cruising is so much fun & when they try to go bad, just hit them between both eyes!

Archived