Getting Euro's before the trip - My experience

I'm the type who likes to have enough taxi fare and money for the first day when I arrive in a country so I don't have to think about those things after a long flight.

I go to Europe twice a year and always keep about 75 Euro's on hand at home for this purpose. Then I use the ATM's there for the rest of my stay.

A couple of days before my recent trip to Paris, I realized that I only had 30 Euros - not enough for the taxi. I was going to go to my local currency exchange and get some more so I'd have taxi fare covered but then thought about all the people who suggest it's not necessary.

I arrived at the Paris airport, got my luggage and headed for the ATM. The line was long and I got on at the end and waited for 20 minutes. Just as the guy ahead of me went to use it, he let out a big "oh no!!!" The machine had "died" or run out of money. A women who worked at the airport told us that the nearest ATM was a good 20 minute walk to the next terminal. I was tired and had heavy luggage so figured I'd get on the AMEX line (10 feet away) and get money there. I now had another 25 minute wait. I finally got to the window and was told the good news that since I have a platunium AMEX card I wouldn't be charged commission. "Great" I thought. I gave him american money and he gave me back what seemed like not enough Euro's, so I asked what exchange rate he was giving me. $1.36!!!! The bank rate was $1.21! A total rip-off. I had no choice. I changed just enough to cover my taxi and left.

So after spending an extra hour at the airport after flying all night, I end up with a worse exchange rate than if I got some Euro's at home.

Never again will I arrive with not enough for taxi fare.

Please - no flames. If you've never had a problem with the ATM on arrival then that's great for you. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their ways. It's just that this is a often discussed topic especially for first time travelers, so I thought I'd relay my recent experience.

Yup, this is exactly why I'm getting my Euros before I leave home, a combination of Euro travelers chex (which my hotel and tour guide accept) and real Euros. I think there are two types of travelers: the kind who get Euros in advance and book hotels in advance, and the kind who wait to get their Euros in Europe and book hotels as they travel. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I don't want to waste my precious vacation time (especially in a port city where I have very limited time) looking for ATMs and possibly dealing with problems. It's worth the little extra fee (about $30 per thousand) to me to get my money before I leave.

I for one appreciate this! I was contemplating how much to take over, do I go with travelers checks or cash...do I use cashcourier.com or try to find a bank.... Today while doing my homework I found out that AAA has what's called "Tip Packs" for this exact reason. They sell them in multiples of 100's and they don't charge for members (just the going exchange rate). This is probably something a first timer wouldn't think of until they are getting off of the plane in Europe!!!! Thanks again!

I'm sorry you had that experience, Jane, but thank you for sharing it. It's exactly why I would never arrive in a foreign country without at least a small supply of local currency. I've run into malfunctioning ATM's at home, so I have always figured they can malfunction overseas, too. Not to mention the hassle of finding one and maybe standing in a long line with your luggage.

Schplinky, we got euros on the Galaxy last summer. The rate was OK - higher than my local bank but not a total rip-off. We choose it rather than spend precious port time looking for an ATM, so the convenience factor was worth the small extra cost. You can also sell back unused euros at the end of your cruise. Again, not the best rate, but you may have reasons to do so.

As far as getting a pack of Euros at AAA, I called the local office here in KS and was told that the pack costs $100 for 71 Euros. This comes to a little more than $1.40 per Euro...not a good exchange rate by any stroke of the imagination. Try your local banks...I was able to get an exchange rate of $1.23 per Euro without any other commission...probably not as good as you could get an ATM in Italy but good for the amount I need for the first day.

Thanks Joanne,

I don't want to carry too much cash to Europe and don't mind them making a little money on my Euros so long as it isn't a rip-off. I'll get my cash on the ship. My bank charges exhorbitant fees for withdrawing overseas from ATM's so this is a good option to me.

How are you guys carrying all those Euros around--especially in Italy where I understand the pickpockets are pros. Someone suggested a pouch around the neck and under the shirt that can be purchased in Wal Mart. What about your camera around the shoulder. A quick knife cut could separate it from you very quickly.

John L.

You can also sell back unused euros at the end of your cruise. Again, not the best rate, but you may have reasons to do so.

The Euro is good in 12 different countries. Unless you're certain you won't ever be going to Europe again, why bother cashing them in? Keep them for next time.

Or if you really want to get rid of them, check if you have any friends going to Europe within the year and do an exchange with them.

I exchange money with friends in Europe all the time since I go there and they visit here. We look up the current exchange rate and do a fair trade that eliminates commissions to anyone. :)

I am planning on getting my Euros ahead of time for my May Med cruise. I have a friend at a bank who will get them for me with no fees. I am sure I will pay more but for the "peace of mind" it is worth the extra money.

I have always used a money belt to carry money even on small trips here in the US. I tend to get distracted in airports and find this the smartest way to travel. Once on the ship I will use their safes and only take the amount needed in each port.

We are staying 2 nights prior in Barcelona and our room has a safe but I do not know how secure I feel about that so may use money belt there.

I just wanted to thank Jane for your thoughtful post about how and when to handle currency exchange. We all have different travel personalities and we know what our personal tolerance for inconvenience can handle. I've got some friends that are taking a non stop flight next month to meet our group in Barcelona for a cruise. They are paying approx $500 more per person to fly nonstop but they are nervous flyers and they need the peace of mind of one take off and one landing. My husband and I are changing planes so we can use frequent flyer tickets. My American Express bill will be much smaller so that is my personal peace of mind! Many questions on this board have many "right" answers and it's just up to each person to figure out the correct one for their situation.

We have bought Canadian dollars for a trip to Montreal, Euros for our son's trip to Ireland, etc. It is a great peace of mind not to immediately be worried that a machine might not be working just when I need it !

I know that Wachovia does not charge a fee (if you go to the branch that has the Euros) and uses the 'up to the minute' exchange rate.

MaryAnn

How are you guys carrying all those Euros around--especially in Italy where I understand the pickpockets are pros. Someone suggested a pouch around the neck and under the shirt that can be purchased in Wal Mart. What about your camera around the shoulder. A quick knife cut could separate it from you very quickly.

John L.

John,

We bought camera straps with hidden wire so they cannot be cut. Also bought a fanny pack with the same. Both have shields that wrap around buckles, so they can't easily be undone by pickpockets. Just do a search online. Many companies offer them. P&W

John L.

Hi John,

We did the British Isles/Norway cruise last summer on RCCL Jewel of the Seas. We carried our passports and currency in money belts sold on Ricksteves.com. They were the most comfortable money belts we have tried yet, and we have tried a lot of them. My husband also had a small pouch that attached to his belt loop and tucked into his waistband. He used this for the cash we used during the day, and used his money belt for deep storage. We bought the pouch from either Magellens or Travelsmith online. We did witness a purse snatching on the Metro in Paris, so it reinforced the need to be prudent.

I purchased all my foreign currency before we left home since I had been warned about ATM problems by frequent travelers. I expected the ship's exchange rate to be outrageous and was very surprised to find that the ship's rates were comparable to what I had paid at home. Next time I will just exchange onboard as we go.

Hope this helps!

Sue

John L.

I use one of those "inside" wallet belts that fits inside my pants and lies flat. DH uses on of the ones that hang around the neck.

In my purse I keep enough money for street purchases (about 40 Euro's) so that I don't have to go into my secret wallet on the street.

Also, DH and I only keep one credit card each with us - one Amex and one Visa. The others are left in the hotel/ship safe.

GeorgiaPeach,

Thanks for your kind words.

You're exactly right. We all do different things for different reasons. On this recent trip to Paris, I flew via Miami so that I could get an upgrade to Biz Class. (no upgrades were available for the non-stop NY - Paris flight) But then, I also gained an extra 1500 FF miles! :)

Jane

Jane110, Thanks for sharing your experience. Your experience is one that we feared could happen to us. One of the many reasons we will get some Euros through our bank before we cruise in May. Our bank's fee for Euros is 1% of the amount or a minimum of $2.00. Converted using the current day's conversion rate.

I'm the type who likes to have enough taxi fare and money for the first day when I arrive in a country so I don't have to think about those things after a long flight.

I go to Europe twice a year and always keep about 75 Euro's on hand at home for this purpose. Then I use the ATM's there for the rest of my stay.

A couple of days before my recent trip to Paris, I realized that I only had 30 Euros - not enough for the taxi. I was going to go to my local currency exchange and get some more so I'd have taxi fare covered but then thought about all the people who suggest it's not necessary.

I arrived at the Paris airport, got my luggage and headed for the ATM. The line was long and I got on at the end and waited for 20 minutes. Just as the guy ahead of me went to use it, he let out a big "oh no!!!" The machine had "died" or run out of money. A women who worked at the airport told us that the nearest ATM was a good 20 minute walk to the next terminal. I was tired and had heavy luggage so figured I'd get on the AMEX line (10 feet away) and get money there. I now had another 25 minute wait. I finally got to the window and was told the good news that since I have a platunium AMEX card I wouldn't be charged commission. "Great" I thought. I gave him american money and he gave me back what seemed like not enough Euro's, so I asked what exchange rate he was giving me. $1.36!!!! The bank rate was $1.21! A total rip-off. I had no choice. I changed just enough to cover my taxi and left.

So after spending an extra hour at the airport after flying all night, I end up with a worse exchange rate than if I got some Euro's at home.

Never again will I arrive with not enough for taxi fare.

Please - no flames. If you've never had a problem with the ATM on arrival then that's great for you. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their ways. It's just that this is a often discussed topic especially for first time travelers, so I thought I'd relay my recent experience.

Hi Jane sorry you had such a hard time. ( I say this as one of the people who say to use ATM's). I also carry US cash which in an emergency I can change. Yes I know that you don't get a good exchange rate at an airport. I also arrange for someone to pick me up(car service) so I can have them stop by an ATM in town if necessary. DOn't most cab in France take credit cards? or I am wrong about that...

I just returned home from my bank and thought I would pass this on in case someone out there isn't aware to do this before starting their trip. I did this last time I travelled to Europe and will do so next month. My bank wants me to call their fraud department a few days before our next trip starts to let them know the exact dates we plan on being out of the country. I also plan on calling the customer service numbers for the credit cards I plan on carrying. Security breaches have gotten so bad that customers that don't notify their issuing banks run the risk of a block on the use of their ATMs if unusual activity is picked up the bank. Truthfully, I had planned on getting some Euros at an airport ATM once we land but after reading Jane's story, I think I'll bring some Euros with me to start the trip and hope for the best later on with an ATM.

Hi Jane sorry you had such a hard time. ( I say this as one of the people who say to use ATM's). I also carry US cash which in an emergency I can change. Yes I know that you don't get a good exchange rate at an airport. I also arrange for someone to pick me up(car service) so I can have them stop by an ATM in town if necessary. DOn't most cab in France take credit cards? or I am wrong about that...

It's like NYC. A few cabs take credit cards and sometimes their machine isn't working or isn't compatible to my credit card. (this has happened in a couple of restaurants too). Most Paris cabs don't take them. After flying for 12 hours, I wasn't in the mood to inteview the cabs on the taxi line to see who did. (though I do often use a CC in London cabs)

I did have US cash. I used some of it at the AMEX booth. I had a choice of using my AMEX card, Travelers Cheques or cash.

I came home with 75 Euro's so I'm now prepared for the next trip.

I just returned home from my bank and thought I would pass this on in case someone out there isn't aware to do this before starting their trip. I did this last time I travelled to Europe and will do so next month. My bank wants me to call their fraud department a few days before our next trip starts to let them know the exact dates we plan on being out of the country. I also plan on calling the customer service numbers for the credit cards I plan on carrying. Security breaches have gotten so bad that customers that don't notify their issuing banks run the risk of a block on the use of their ATMs if unusual activity is picked up the bank.

I'll add something to this - my friend and I did this before our Med cruise last summer. On the first full day of the cruise, she got a summons from the front desk about a credit problem. It turns out her credit card company denied the charge from Celebrity for her onboard account because it came from Miami when she was supposed to be in Italy, Greece, and France! She got it straightened out eventually - not all that easily as 800 numbers don't work overseas - but it may be worth telling your credit card companies that you will be on a cruise so they won't be suspicious of a cruise line charge no matter where the cruise line is based.

I have never had a cab in France take a credit card, nor would I feel comfortable using my credit card for a cab anywhere.

Jane110 - I agree with you completely. On my first trip to Europe several years ago we took the EuroStar from London to Brussels. On the advice of everyone we just planned on using the ATM's, it ruined our entire first day. We walked from ATM to ATM some were closed, some were out of money, and the others declined my card! Finally around 5:00 in the afternoon we found one that worked. Never and I repeat never will I go to Europe without some Euro in my pocket! I usually try and bring home 100 Euro so that I am all set to go next time. I did not have any problems in any other country but I'm not willing to be penniless again.

Its funny because I have used a credit card in a cab in Paris and in Sweden as well amd other European cities. I wouldn't charge a five dollar or five euro cab ride(not that there are many of those anyway). As I said I am sorry you had a problem...

Archived