Getting Euro's before the trip - My experience

I'll add something to this - my friend and I did this before our Med cruise last summer. On the first full day of the cruise, she got a summons from the front desk about a credit problem. It turns out her credit card company denied the charge from Celebrity for her onboard account because it came from Miami when she was supposed to be in Italy, Greece, and France! She got it straightened out eventually - not all that easily as 800 numbers don't work overseas - but it may be worth telling your credit card companies that you will be on a cruise so they won't be suspicious of a cruise line charge no matter where the cruise line is based.

Joanne: Great advice! My last trip was land based and it had never occured to me that the cruiseline offices are based in the US and thus the billing would come from here too. That's why this board is so great!

Its funny because I have used a credit card in a cab in Paris and in Sweden as well amd other European cities. I wouldn't charge a five dollar or five euro cab ride(not that there are many of those anyway). As I said I am sorry you had a problem...

Smeyer,

I don't doubt you. Nor do I doubt the experience of many people who fly into a city without local currency and have never had a problem getting money from a local ATM. On our trip to Buenos Aires last year we pre-arranged a car to pick us up at the airport and we paid and tipped on our credit card. We arrived with no Argentine Peso's and easily found an ATM a block from our hotel. I'm well traveled, did my research and for that trip knew I'd be fine without pre-buying pesos.

However, as I stated in the initial post:

If you've never had a problem with the ATM on arrival then that's great for you. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their ways. It's just that this is a often discussed topic especially for first time travelers, so I thought I'd relay my recent experience.

I simply posted what happened to me last week to share with others who may not be as experienced. I assure you, I'm not trying to convince you to change your style of travel.

Safe travels,

Jane

We're going to take our chances and go without Euros. We land in Rome.

Plan A: If we find a working ATM at the airport without a huge line, great, if not, we'll wait.

Plan B: We can buy our Leonrado Express train tickets with our credit card. We are staying near the Termini station in Rome and will hit an ATM once we get to the hotel.

Plan C: In case we need Euros right away. We have traveller's checks. That'll be our backup. They'll ding us on the exchange rate but that's life.

We've travelled enough to know that there is always a wait for things and things may not go accoring to plan. We've learned to roll with the punches. Just have some alternative plans in case the ATM's don't work.

But, if you're not well travelled, as Jane says, it can very very aggravating.

I always end a trip making sure I have Euros to go home with. Recently I lent all my Euros to a neighbor so she didn't have to buy ahead or wait at the ATM at arrival. She returned the amount to me when she got home.

For those who usually use a luggage cart, always keep a 1 Euro coin too Carts used to be free, but that seems to be changing.

But, if you're not well travelled, as Jane says, it can very very aggravating.

I'm extremely well traveled and the aggravation of my experience last week does not indicate I'm some sort of inexperienced traveler. I've been all over the world independently and I visit Paris about twice a year.

I roll with the punches very easily and generally don't overplan my trips. I also don't often take a train from the airport to my hotel, so local currency, not a travelers check, is needed immediately before even leaving the airport for a taxi.

You'll be fine in Rome because you're taking a train and can buy your ticket with a credit card. Then you'll be in the big city of Rome where there are plenty of ATM's.

Enjoy Rome.

Archived