THOUGHTS ON NCL STAR vs OTHER SHIPS

howieizme

Well, it's been a long Winter out here in California. It's been raining for 2 months and it does not seem to be letting up.

Last night at 3 AM my girlfriend and I decided to book at last minute cruise on the NCL Star on 4/26/2006. 8 Day Mexican Riviera.

NCL was not my first choice by a long shot however. 20 years ago my parents took me on a NCL cruise and it was GREAT. 4 years ago I decided to go on another cruice and found cruise critic! However it seemed the NCL reviews were not good. So I decided to book on HAL and wound up having a fantastic time. My girlfriend and I are in our early 30's. However we enjoyed the HAL cruise and the older crowd as we were looking for a mellow vacation. I did'nt want to end up sitting by the pool with drunk 20 somethings like carnival.

So my question is, what kind of crowd will I run into on the Star? Also, any comments about the ship and service would be appriciated. I am so looking forward to this trip as it has been a hell of a year. We need a warm break.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike,

We did the Star in January and had an absolute blast. It was my 7th cruise I have also cruised Carnival twice, Princess twice, and Royal Caribean twice. The ship was very nice, we had a BA Balcony Aft Cabin which was wonderful! I was not sure how I was going to like NCL and was a bit concerned about the Freestyle concept, as I had always done the set dining. I am 32 and really enjoyed the being able to eat when you wanted to and were you wanted. The age group on our cruise was very diversed, from young famalies, to older people with there grand children, and everything in between. I never really saw any drunks around the pool! If you have any questions, or I can help you in any way feel free to ask! Have fun!

great info! Thank you. I guess i'm trying to make sure that I can plop myself outside on the deck, and fall asleep for 8 days without any sestractions. Thats what I really need. We all need more vacations!!!

Mike

Well, it's been a long Winter out here in California. It's been raining for 2 months and it does not seem to be letting up.

Last night at 3 AM my girlfriend and I decided to book at last minute cruise on the NCL Star on 4/26/2006. 8 Day Mexican Riviera.

NCL was not my first choice by a long shot however. 20 years ago my parents took me on a NCL cruise and it was GREAT. 4 years ago I decided to go on another cruice and found cruise critic! However it seemed the NCL reviews were not good. So I decided to book on HAL and wound up having a fantastic time. My girlfriend and I are in our early 30's. However we enjoyed the HAL cruise and the older crowd as we were looking for a mellow vacation. I did'nt want to end up sitting by the pool with drunk 20 somethings like carnival.

So my question is, what kind of crowd will I run into on the Star? Also, any comments about the ship and service would be appriciated. I am so looking forward to this trip as it has been a hell of a year. We need a warm break.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, I always wonder what is up when someone who is a brand new poster makes comments like "NCL was not my first choice by a long shot" or the reviews are bad. Right now, particularly you can read any board on any line and find massive negatives from bad food, to viruses, to engine trouble. If you are looking for the worst it certainly is there. As for NCL reviews; overall they have been pretty positive lately. Yes, not everyone has had a blast and not every ship is perfect. The Star is one of the newer vessels, designed for freestyle cruising. You are cruising at a very good time of the year, the weather, other than early morning fog the first few days should be ideal and the little people have gone back to school so they won't be a concern. Make sure you try, at least one of the specialty restaurants. My favorite always has been Le Bistro.

If you are looking for negatives you will find them, if you want to have a good time, you will. I don't know when you cruised HAL, but all the mass marketed lines are similar today. NCL has found it's nitch with freestyle plus offers such a variety of age groups and life styles it has something for everyone.

If you didn't want to sail this line, I am confused as to why you booked it? I know it isn't because everything else is sold out. Could you have wanted that extra day for a similar price? Could this be wanting your cake and eating it too?

Now stop expecting to have a less than fun filled 8 days, enjoy yourself and report back after you return to sunny Calif. In the meanwhile could you send some of that rain to AZ and NM? Where a smile if nothing else. NMNIta

I have cruised Sitmar, RCCL, Disney, Carnival, HAL and Princess. I have had a great time on every single cruise. You will have a good time if you want to. To me the act of cruising is just fun. On cruises I have had great food and service and I have had not so great food and service. I rarely even have a room with a window and I still have a great time. I will be on the Star on April 18th and am really looking forward to my first time on NCL. I pay little attention to reviews. I think there are people out there just looking for something to complain about. If one thing goes wrong you gotta get past it quickly and get back to having a good time. We don't live forever so have fun while you can.

We started cruising in 1997 with NCL... have never tried anyone else because there is no need for us to. The Freestyle keeps us coming back over and over again. Take a look at my signature, we're going back on the Star for the fourth time on April 10th. We really enjoy the Star for the food, crew, itineraries and the mix of people that this ship attracts.

Now, relax and go and have a good time.

We loved all the lines we have cruised and would sail anyone of them again in a heartbeat. For me I like to try different things. So give it a try and see for yourself, don't just go by what someone else writes. Hopefully someday I might have sailed on all the lines. Yeah right! I can dream.

we are cruising with you ! come on over to our rollcall and you will meet first hand all of us who will be sailing with you. i think you will be pleased with all the nice people that you will meet before you go.:D

denise and adam

I've sailed Carnival twice, Princess three times, and NCL twice. We have a future cruise on NCL booked for '07. All of those past cruises were great! We really enjoyed the Star. Although the buffet under-whelmed me (compared to the previous six cruises we've been on), the food at the specialty restaurants was outstanding. Because we had a penthouse suite, we were able to order off any menu and dine in our room. That experience (plus visiting Manzanillo) was the highlight of the cruise. The staff were just so great (the service was definately some of the best we've experinced on all the cruises we've been on). Any problem (yes, problems occur) was remedied so quickly. I like the median age of the two NCL cruises we've been on. A little younger than Princess. My DH and I are 43 and 39 respectively, and we prefer cruises where the median age includes us. This was true of both our NCL cruises. We kind of kept to our selves on our cruise on the Star, but we were very social on our NCL Spirit cruise. We met so many people around our age. The ship board friends we made was one of the highlights of our Spirit cruise. Enjoy! :) :) :)

of choosing the Star? I know it was for me. Other than the venerable

Norway (may she rest in peace) in the 80's, all of my cruise experiences have been with RCI and Carnival.

But some cruise veteran friends of ours wanted our families to cruise together..and we wanted to try something different. The Star seems to

fit the bill...8 nites (7 days is becoming too short for us now) hitting some

great Mex Riviera ports including Acapulco (after dry dock mechanical work).

And my fare for two adults and two teens in one family cabin: Just over

2,000 total.

With that price, and a nice, newer ship (pics look great)...we thought we'd ignore all the flaming (though the reviews lately have been very positive)

and give it a shot, Freestyle should work best with our teens...

If the food is generally good with an occasional poor entree...with service

and entertainment in the same realm, this will be a great vacation at a great price. We sail in October...and can't wait!

Mitch

Archived