Possible Pilots Strike On Delta - Anyone Else Concerned?

cal101

Am I the only one who is getting worried about the possible pilots strike?

We (DH and I) are on the Sapphire Princess on May 20th northbound Alaska cruise and have reservations on Delta using frequent flyers miles to fly to Vancouver on May 18th. Have been trying to check on other flights to Vancouver or even Seattle, but not sure what we should do or how soon we should do it. If we have to purchase tickets on another airline it will certainly cut into our budget for shore excursions, but, of course, will do it if we have to.

Anyone else in the same situation or have any thoughts or suggestions?

I've been in this situation before and I'm scheduled to fly Delta to FLL on the 12th of this month and fly back on the 23rd.

The situation at the time was not with Delta however but with American, the pilots voted to strike and in fact did at midnight. At that point I was panicked because I was scheduled to fly out at 6am. At 12:10am the President, (I think it was Clinton at the time) ordered the pilots back and mandated an arbitration.

From what I have read, the pilots have given the mediator in the case a date of April 15th, but arbitraton could be forced before that time or they could possibly reach an agreement through mediation. I have a feeling it might just be a tactic for the pilots to force management's hand. Either way, I'll be able to get there, but might not be able to get back, .... but i'm not going to worry about it and spoil my cruise !

I have a flight with Song (which is operated by Delta w/Delta pilots) later this month. There was an CNN article on the issue and my impression (at least in the short term) I do not expect any interruption in service.

Even if the arbritrator rules in favor for Delta, Delta would not necessairly void the piliots contracts that day. Plus if Delta did, the pilots would only set a strike date at that point.

If the pilots do strike then there is speculation that Delta would be gone for good which would be a murder/suiside (that's what happened to Eastern only is was a slow bleed for Eastern).

Hopefully managment and union will reach a compromise and avoid the strike.

Like you I was concerned about the possible strike. Where your cruise ins in May there is less visibility. All of us should know more by 4/15.

There are also newsboards for pilots out there and those boards have some good insight on the situation.

Personally, I am not stressed but I have set up a plan B just in case.

I just spoke with Delta today regarding my May3rd tickets, which was a promotional ticket..buy one, the other flies free. They assured me that if a strike prevented my traveling on DL that day, they (not me) would reassign my tickets on another airline, and phone me of the change. I would not lose the tickets. I was told to call DL a few days prior to my travel date to find out the status of my flight. They also assured me my FF mileage (80,000) would not be lost if they went out of business, but that another airline would pick them up. I sure do hope this is all "real" and "correct" information from DL at this time. Anxiously awaiting the April 15th deadline for pilot contracts. Cannot imagine them striking which could lead to the end of DL and their jobs!!

I just spoke with Delta today regarding my May3rd tickets, which was a promotional ticket..buy one, the other flies free. They assured me that if a strike prevented my traveling on DL that day, they (not me) would reassign my tickets on another airline, and phone me of the change. I would not lose the tickets. I was told to call DL a few days prior to my travel date to find out the status of my flight. They also assured me my FF mileage (80,000) would not be lost if they went out of business, but that another airline would pick them up. I sure do hope this is all "real" and "correct" information from DL at this time. Anxiously awaiting the April 15th deadline for pilot contracts. Cannot imagine them striking which could lead to the end of DL and their jobs!!

Its correct....kind of. Yes I'm sure they will try and re-book you on another airline, but that is based on availability. Typically, award/FF tickets get a lower priority, but they will try I'm sure.

Regarding the FF program, yes, it is true that in the past other airlines have picked up the FF miles from programs on airlines that have gone under, like TWA. The big difference between then and now, however, is the financial condition of all the airlines in general. Things were very different back then financially, and the airlines were better able to assume that liability. They will be much more hesitant about that now, and what you may find is that they pick up the elite status frequent flyers (in DL's case that would be the medallion folks) and not pick up the rest.

Let's hope none of this is necessary and that they settle this consentually. There would be no winners in a prolonged strike..it would be the end of Delta.

Archived