HAL introduces Signature Master Chefs Dinner

Been there, done that on the Volendam and once was more than enough -- must find out what night it will be on in June and the Westerdam and decide if it is going to be the Pinnacle that night, or the Lido!

I agree. I did it on the Volendam in February. I won't try it again on the Zaandam or the Oosterdam later this year. I will go to the Pinnacle or Lido instead.

Our waiter seemed to be off of his rhythm that night--the only night we all thought he wasn't the best waiter on the ship. Finding a roll on a plate under the chef's hat wasn't my idea of the best way to start the experience.

I have been on both of the Disney ships and HAL does not know how, nor do they need, to imitate what Disney does so well. I go on HAL because of what they do well, and this new dinner theatrical experience is not it in my opinion.

Realize I'm in the minority, but it sounds like fun to me!;)

Will not pass judgment until I experience it for myself..

Even though I'm in the Older population, I can still enjoy fun things! I'm one of those who wears a costume when attending a Halloween Party or a 1920's Costume when attending a Roaring 20's Party..:D

To each his own..Betty

Betty-

That was my thought too! I am a "cup is half full" kinda gal, and I am open to new experiences. :)

Will I like it? Who knows, but I have never been really thrilled with the Baked Alaska parade either.:rolleyes:

I'll give it a try, who knows with open minded dining companions, it could turn out to a be a fun evening.:D HAL must have received good reviews on their test audience, if not, why go with the additional expense?

Betty-

That was my thought too! I am a "cup is half full" kinda gal, and I am open to new experiences. :)

Will I like it? Who knows, but I have never been really thrilled with the Baked Alaska parade either.:rolleyes:

I'll give it a try, who knows with open minded dining companions, it could turn out to a be a fun evening.:D HAL must have received good reviews on their test audience, if not, why go with the additional expense?

OK, OK, Localady, we'll try to be open minded dining companions, and go along for the ride:rolleyes: I don't want you to think that your fellow CC'ers on your Amsterdam Christmas cruise are a bunch of party poopers:) I don't completely object to this new dining concept; I just wonder how practical it will be to implement. But I'll let HAL management figure the logistics out! Me, I'm game to try almost anything once! (Where's my chef's toque?)

Hello!

We are fresh off the Volendam and attended the Master Chef's Dinner. The chef hat did not fit my husband and I just couldn't bring myself to cover up the hair I just spent an hour working on. We did cooperate and don them when the photographer came to take the photos, but there was no way I was going to purchase that one:eek:

The food was very good but I found myself feeling sorry for the staff. They were clearly not comfortable and did their best to dance around and entertain, but they really should be allowed the do their jobs and not be bothered with this "side show."

The creation of the salad was most interesting. There was a dancer in fishnet stockings and a chef coat holding a giant bowl and each of the stewards came forward with an ingredient for the salad. One of the servers dropped a green pepper slice on the floor, picked it up and threw it in the salad. We all thought that was the salad we were supposed to eat, and all you could hear around us were gasps of horror from people imagining being served food that bounced off the ground. The dancer noticed the horrified faces and started yelling, "It's just a prop!" Thank goodness for that!

I sincerely hope HAL will let these hard working folks off the hook and this Master Chef Dinner goes away.

Jennifer

The creation of the salad was most interesting. There was a dancer in fishnet stockings and a chef coat holding a giant bowl and each of the stewards came forward with an ingredient for the salad. One of the servers dropped a green pepper slice on the floor, picked it up and threw it in the salad. We all thought that was the salad we were supposed to eat, and all you could hear around us were gasps of horror from people imagining being served food that bounced off the ground. The dancer noticed the horrified faces and started yelling, "It's just a prop!" Thank goodness for that!

Oh, my word! That is definitely NOT the Master Chef's Dinner we had on the Amsterdam in January. It was far more "elegant" and "reserved" than that!

Anyone encounter the "Love Boat" night? Where everyone sings along to a recording of the Love Boat theme? Now that was fun ... and probably only took a couple of minutes out of the dining room staff's time. I think they did it right before desserts were served.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Personally, the only entertainment I like at dinner on a ship is a piano, harp, string quartet etc. playing. No singing, no "required audience participation" either. I endure the baked Alaska parade, but if I sat near the door, I'd be gone before that happened, as well.

Perhaps something like this would be slightly more acceptable if you were traveling and eating with close family members only where everyone already knew what each other's reactions would be. NAW, not even that is acceptable because the one family member who doesn't like it will be teased. But it seems outrageous to me to be expected to react in some standard way to something I'd not voluntarily attend! if I wanted that, I'd be on a different cruiseline.

If they insist that this is something HAL passengers enjoy, then I hope they give those of us who would not enjoy it plenty of time to make alternate arrangements. And I'll rethink traveling with HAL>

Oh, my word! That is definitely NOT the Master Chef's Dinner we had on the Amsterdam in January. It was far more "elegant" and "reserved" than that!

Anyone encounter the "Love Boat" night? Where everyone sings along to a recording of the Love Boat theme?

--rita

I think it's pretty clear that the days of "elegant" and "reserved" are in the past. HAL is definetely going in a different direction and it is sad. It will end up just another mass market 3 star line. I'm glad there are more premium lines out there who want to keep a more upscale style of cruising and who will be there to pick up the customers HAL loses.

OK, OK, Localady, we'll try to be open minded dining companions, and go along for the ride I don't want you to think that your fellow CC'ers on your Amsterdam Christmas cruise are a bunch of party poopers:) I don't completely object to this new dining concept; I just wonder how practical it will be to implement. But I'll let HAL management figure the logistics out! Me, I'm game to try almost anything once! (Where's my chef's toque?)

Now there is the spirit MAM!!:D

I know that the dining stewards are way too busy already, and this seems like way more work for them. But hey, being a child of the 70's I will try almost anything once... :rolleyes:

MAM I anxiously await the opportunity to dine with you, I mean, you knew what a chef's toque was!!;) (Many of us just think of it as the funny chef hat!)

P.S. Our off-spring might even enjoy the performance, and when they are happy, it's not a bad thing!:cool:

Not going to say much other than another board on CC (shall remain nameless) is making fun of this latest experiment at HAL. Personally I like to eat in style and not have a silly show go on. Some people might think its cute though but if I had the choice I'd pass on it myself.

I'm trying to picture this.

When I first read the heading for the original post I thought it was an extension of the previously-tried wine/ fine dining experience dinner that pax paid $50 to attend. Reading further I'm assuming that this is a featured night in the regular dining room at no extra charge. Am I right so far?

If so, how unlike HAL. I guess I'd react or interact like I did with the Dutch nights / Baked Alaska Parade / Moose parade. I don't think I'd be upset to see it once but as a regular feature on HAL cruises, naaah.....

It might appeal to some, but call me a fuddy-duddy, it's precisely why we choose HAL, to avoid this kind of sensory overload.

I wouldn't boycott the first performance but,

Count me among the nay-sayers.

GN

Well, we experienced the Master Chef Dinner on the Volendam in October. It may have been in the 'beta testing stage' at the time. It was an interesting experience. The food was a bit different, more adventurous, than what the dining room ordinarily served but the choices were more limited. However, we enjoyed the meal.

Our waiters seemed to like the variation in routine and our meal progressed at about the same speed as usual, if I remember correctly.

I am amused at the gushy prose of the press release. We were at an aft window table on the lower level of the dining room. We saw some napkin flourishing and a salad conga line, but whatever else went on, in the form of theatrical entertainment, was out of our view.

I would not boycott the dining room on Master Chef Night any more than I did on Dutch Night. (If I had done that, I would have missed out on discovering Bami Goreng.) I wouldn't want to miss a new or different experience that might be yummy or a lot of fun.

If they try to jazz up too many dinners with fancy themes, I might find that annoying.

I believe that the offer has its merits but maybe a direction change is needed.

HAL has the good food and fine staff in the main dining room, if it didn't and there was a neutral or negative potential in the dining experience than maybe it should add something to dilute the poor dining experience.

But that is not the case.

Adding twirling plates, chiefs hats, singings and stuff might be good in a contained enviroment but not in the main dining room.

My suggestion is to utilize this type of entertainment for a scheduled night in the Pinnicle. It is contained and guests can schedule around it or toward it.

The small seatings in those oriental places where the chief cuts and prepares your mean in front of you is very nice and entertaining - but not for everyone and not every night.

The dining establishments - as in NYC - with the singing wait staff ( Hoping to be recognized and go to Broadway) is great for some and not for others.

My humble suggestion is to use the segregated Pinnicle either for the occasional dining theme or even a special lunch.

Just me.

Good Grief---

It's tough enough teaching kids not to play with their food...

...then we have to endure the waitstaff conducting this RCCL-brand foolishness?

The Baked Alaska parade is already an anachronism whose time ran out when I couldn't get my entree before the flipping parade started - Now they want to subject us to this???

This won't make the complainers complain any less.

This won't make the food taste better.

This won't make the service any better.

This won't make the entertainment in the Main Lounge better.

...and this won't make the staff or passengers happier.

So why do it???

Why can't I just have my dinner and wine and enjoy conversations with my dinner companions and enjoy the service from my servers? Is that too much to ask???

If I wanted to have an RCCL experience, then I'd have booked RCCL...

...meanwhile, I'll join the rest of you in Pinnacle.

:mad:

It's tough enough teaching kids not to play with their food...

...then we have to endure the waitstaff conducting this RCCL-brand foolishness?

:mad:

I think the word you want is "tacky," Brian! :rolleyes:

I don't understand the hysteria. No one is going to force anyone

to go to this. Personally, we are ambivalent to the idea.

As far as the burden on the staff is concerned, that is HAL's

orblkem and I am sure it has been researched by them.

Archived