Question about cruise price adjustment

GT108

Hi Everyone.

I want to say thanks for all the informative threads.

It helps to answer many questions that I have and some that I didn't know I have.

I've recently learned that we can get the difference in the cruise price should they go down after we booked.

How do you experience cruiser keep an eye on the prices?

Do you have a ritual?

Are there certain sites that you check?

How do you approach your travel agent about the drop in price?

I imagine they will lose some of their commission should the price drop. Is this a touchy subject to bring up to the travel agent?

Sorry for so many question.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I have much to learn.

Thank in advance.

Which line are you booked on? Cruise prices don't often go down after a booking is made; most of the time the opposite is true. Some cruise lines will adjust the price if there is a drop after booking. And sometimes they will offer an amenity or upgrade in lieu of a discount in the fare. But if there is a promotion that is limited to new bookings, or if it is after final payment, you'll be hard pressed to get them to do anything.

If you are working with a good travel agent, he/she will have your best interest at heart, knowing that they (the agent) will benefit in the long run by doing so. I would not hesitate to ask them to follow up if the fare on your stateroom has dropped.

You can watch for promotions and check rates online periodically.

In general, the price drop has to occur before final payment for you to get much of a benefit. Most drops after final payment are flash or new booking specials and don't apply to existing bookings.

The price you paid should be compared to the 'official' price on the cruiseline website.

If you originally got some deal via a travel agent that was $100 less than the cruiseline price, then the cruiseline price has to drop MORE than $100 for you to receive a credit/refund; you won't usually get any credit if it drops to a price higher than what you paid. So the only site you need to check is the cruiseline pricing and your own TA in case they have another special offer.

Most good agents don't mind the price drop; its true they don't get as much commission, but they also know you could cancel outright and go anywhere else and they would get zero commission.

I was booked on the Carnival Fantasy - now it is the Sensation.

I am no longer worry about the negative review during the past two sailing as I have confident any glitches will be resolved (hopefully) before I sail in August. I was just thinking, with all the negative exposure, there may be a sale on her to move the empty rooms. I just want to be ready to get my family an upgrade should that happen.

It is my first time cruising with CCL.

I was reading on the CCL board about how people are getting price adjustment when the fare goes down. I was just wondering how those in the know, go about checking for this.

To be honest, I have never heard of this until I began surfing this board. I have sailed on RCL and Princess in the past, always just accepted the price I paid.

I'm not sure about Carnival but on Celebrity what I do is I go on their web site and look up the same cat. as what I have booked to see what cabins are avail. If I see the same cat. I have booked for less than what I have paid I then call the TA. I just did this in Oct. and found there was a $600.00 drop pp. This was AFTER final payment. I called my TA and told her what I found and she called Celebrity. I received $1200.00 about 2 weeks later. Don't worry about how to approach the TA, they see this all

the time. Good luck.

I agree with the previous posters. I just watch the website price on whatever line you are sailing. Not Happy Hour special or anything like that, their actual price for the same sailing. Last year I recieved over half of the original price back! All I did was call our TA and he returned my call after checking and was shocked himself. There was 3 of us and we paid less than our deposit for an 11 day cruise. This year we booked a similar cruise, but booked directly with RC, as it is easier to just call them and get the reduction/ refund if you are paid in full. Otherwise, it is at the discretion of the TA to take care of this for you. Andros/Tony

I booked our September Princess cruise through an online TA. Between February and April, the price has dropped twice. I simply email the TA, stating that I've noticed a price drop on their site, giving them my confirmation number.

Within a hour, they have emailed me a new confirmation page with the reduced price. Couldn't be simpler!

I check their site 1-2 times a week. ;)

I checked Orbitz, or some similar on-line agency a lot to keep track of the prices. We got an upgrade from an inside to an Ocean View for only $30 pp and then after final payment the price dropped so that we got about $160 back! I just called our TA to tell him what was going on, he called RCI and got us the new prices.

• 2 weeks later...
I booked our September Princess cruise through an online TA. Between February and April, the price has dropped twice. I simply email the TA, stating that I've noticed a price drop on their site, giving them my confirmation number.

Within a hour, they have emailed me a new confirmation page with the reduced price. Couldn't be simpler!

I check their site 1-2 times a week. ;)

What website are you checking? The TA or Princess? I have not seen any prices listed on the Princess website for me to check the price.

If you don't see the pricing on the Princess website, then you have not looked far enough. Princess has an online booking engine on their site. From the princess.com homepage--start at "Book at cruise" and then chooose the "book online" option.

Archived