More Cunard Misinfo

alfiemom

After reading many of the threads here, I find that we are not alone....Cunard reps really don't know the answers to the "most often asked questions."

We had 4 answers to the formal night query. We're doing a TA and the first phone call said there were 4 formal nights. Then postings here said 3 formal nights. Our docs came from Cunard and said 2 formal nights. So...on to the phone where they said that their docs couldn't be wrong, of course there were 3 formal nights and on what page did ours say 2. I don't know if they ever apoligized since they were wrong.

Then the transfer situation: We are doing our own air. RT from Heathrow to Chicago (with the return to Heathrow for our fall TA on Mille). Of course, Cunard PR says that if you take their transfers, you can't fly out of Heathrow before 1 pm. Since I saw on these boards that the times may be different due to the pod thing, my husband called. Finally, after much runaround, he was told that we need to take a flight no earlier than 3:30 PM. No problem since the flight we wanted was at 3:40.

The other day they called our travel agent to say that "their system" kicked out our transers based on our 3:40 flight. Well, now they are saying that the 3:30 time is for domestic flights and it must be 4:00 for international. Now, we're both very frequent flyers and use the fast lanes where ever available. That also includes Heathrow. So, I'm not too worried about needing 2+ hours to get through all the processing. Of course, we can't change our air without penalities and losing our upgraded seats. They suggested that we tell the purser that we need to be off first and on the first bus to Heathrow.

I'm not concerned about making the flight. I'm sure we will. But the question was asked of Cunard USA by a passenger calling from the US. If there was a difference of timing, shouldn't they have mentioned it? I guess Carnival has taken it's toll.

So, flyer beware. Make sure they, and you, understand the timing of your flights before you book them.

Agree, Cunard is a mess. You think they would have online immigration forms, welcome to the late 90's Cunard.

I faxed over my transfer request today for a 2:15 flight out of Heathrow. Their reservations person and their pre curise booklet say no earlier that 1:00. They will pay the change fee if I have to change my flight due to their pod problems.

Its a 2 ship line with the systems of Princess cruises behind them, I don't know why its so difficult to deal with them and get a straight answer.

That's just it....a sample. We're going next week and there's 3 although I think we may participate in only 2. Our cruise docs said 2, someone else on our crossing said theirs said 3 and Cunard gave us 2 different answers.

Yes, it's only 2 ships. It's 2006! We're in the computer age! They are owned by the largest cruise company around! What's the problem? Maybe they feel that if they become too computerized and knowledgeable, that will mean that they are not the same Cunard of olde. Guess what? They're not. They're owned by Carnival.

Alfiemom,

Yes, it is frustrating getting conflicting information from the Cunard Headquarters, but, I promise once you step aboard the QM2 you will enter into another world. The officers and hotel staff of the great ship will take good care of you. The experience of cruising the QM2 and booking her are two entirely different things. So, count down the hours, pack your bags and prepare for a wonderful voyage aboard the mighty QM2.

Cruiserking

Cruiserking:

I am definitely doing that. In fact, today I got my spa appointment confirmation email. This is a short cruise time for us, but we really need the rest and would love to be pampered.

Bobbie

Bobbie,

Good for you. Have a great voyage aboard the QM2, make sure you have at least one pub lunch at the Golden Lion, the fish and chips and chicken korma are my personal favorites. Give Mayor Bloomberg my best as you stroll up the gangplank!

Happy Sails,

Jonathan

Archived