QE2 introduces yet another class.

Actually, this is nothing new - it's been standard practice to assign P1 and PG grades to Princess Grill and P2 and P3 (and now P4) to Britannia Grill for several years, maybe more. I guess Cunard have just decided to publicize it now.

While they are theoretically equal, the Princess Grill is the more desirable of the two (unless you are a smoker - see below). They are very close, but the spiral staircase down to the Princess Grill Bar, the "Four Elements" sculptures, etc. create a very special room. It is my favorite restaurant aboard QE2. The Britannia Grill comes off as a very good imitation (which it is).

If the current smoking situation - that is, Princess Grill totally non-smoking, while Britannia Grill has both smoking and non-smoking sections - continues, this will inevitably mean that some smokers in P1 and PG grades will want to be in Britannia Grill which in turn will allow/force some P2/P2/P3 passengers into Princess Grill. I expect that situation is simply why Cunard always said that passengers "can choose between the Princess and Britannia Grill" even though they assigned the restaurants "by default" based on cabin grade (though one could still request one or the other) more for their own convenience than anything else.

Cunard also make the point that domestic UK legislation may require all restaurants to be all non-smoking - and I hope that is the case.

They say that the precise regulations are not yet clear - so watch this space - but it looks promising none the less.

I have just received a UK March – December 2007 Preview brochure. It states:

P1 and PG accommodation dine in the Princess Grill

P2, P3 and P4 enjoy the Britannia Grill

It all seems a bit pointless to me. Is the Princess better than the Britannia?

Best wishes, Stephen.

i'm not sure but p-grill is tough to beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal preference at best. And........the reason I have money is that I save money and Brittania is the way to go.

LM1

The comment is about the QE2, not the other ship. I have not dined in the Princess Grill on the QE2.....but would seriously think about it as a better 'upgrade' from QE2's Mauretania, rather than Caronia....which is pretty similar to Mauretania.

Peter

Balcony level I believe. Do not know if Port, Starboard or both.

Hmm.....might have nice low ceilings then.....and if its in the same location as my first Balcony level table, lovely hot food as its right next to the servery.....

Curiouser and curiouser......

Peter

How about all this for the next refit. Put a floor across the hole in deck 3 of the Britannia and place tables in the extra space. Remove the servery areas of King Court and fit out the whole space as a restaurant. Change Todd English to a Cunard style restaurant and give it a name like Princess Grill Aft.

Everybody could then have single seating dining and the AA cabin people could have the Grill experience.

Best wishes, Stephen.

LM1

The comment is about the QE2, not the other ship. I have not dined in the Princess Grill on the QE2.....but would seriously think about it as a better 'upgrade' from QE2's Mauretania, rather than Caronia....which is pretty similar to Mauretania.

Peter

I tried Mauretania once, my very first crossing. Thereafter I was in Caronia, and I much prefer it. Frankly, a number of the guests in Mauretania seemed rather disgruntled, and cranky about "dressing up", that sort of thing. I always met charming people in Caronia. Also, Caronia is more intimate.

What a great suggestion, Stephen.

Obviously the probability that this will happen is very small. Some passengers would not like to be waited on and prefer to stay in line. Also, Cunard would have to employ much more stewards for single seating.

But it would be nice indeed. Like it was done e.g. on the Vistafjord as prime example of Cunard service.

The QM2 offers, even including the 46 AA cabins, far to few seats in single seating.

I have just received a UK March – December 2007 Preview brochure. It states:

P1 and PG accommodation dine in the Princess Grill

P2, P3 and P4 enjoy the Britannia Grill

It all seems a bit pointless to me. Is the Princess better than the Britannia?

Best wishes, Stephen.

You mean QM2?

I tried Mauretania once, my very first crossing. Thereafter I was in Caronia, and I much prefer it. Frankly, a number of the guests in Mauretania seemed rather disgruntled, and cranky about "dressing up", that sort of thing. I always met charming people in Caronia. Also, Caronia is more intimate.

You pays your money.....I've been in Mauretania 3 times, Caronia once - each time the Mauretania table companions were fine - as were the two ladies adjacent to us in Caronia.....The Caronia restaurant didn't do it for me somehow - I felt the Mauretania alcoves to feel more 'intimate' and the dark brown decor in Caronia screamed 'anonymous 70s international hotel' - and the place was lit like a pub at chucking out time - it certainly didn't feel 'intimate' to me! Perhaps we should both give them second chances?

Peter

Has Britannia Grill been recreated on QE2?

Sorry Molly, don't really understand your question - there has been for some time a Britannia Grill on the QE2 - originally the Princess Grill (Starboard) the mirror of the original Grill room.......All the brochure is pointing out is what has been the case in practice, higher P grade pax go to Princess, lower to Britannia.....

Could you be confusing QE2's Britannia Grill with QM2's Britannia Restaurant?

Peter

All the brochure is pointing out is what has been the case in practice, higher P grade pax go to Princess, lower to Britannia.....

With the difference, and that is why I do not like the fixed assignment, that this was only the default rule. You still could request a specific room independ of what P grade you where in. May it be that you preferred the red or the blue colours, wanted to smoke or be in a non-smoking room, were travelling together with people in different grades or any other reason.

Anyway you could be sure to receive the same level of service. Hopefully at least this will be so in the future.

Sorry Molly, don't really understand your question - there has been for some time a Britannia Grill on the QE2 - originally the Princess Grill (Starboard) the mirror of the original Grill room.......All the brochure is pointing out is what has been the case in practice, higher P grade pax go to Princess, lower to Britannia.....

Could you be confusing QE2's Britannia Grill with QM2's Britannia Restaurant?

Peter

I must be spacing out, because I completely forgot there was a Britannia Grill on QE2.

MY POINT..............the lower class dining is exceptional. So very sorry I got my ships and restaurants confused. Been on both, and in all restaurants. For the money............Brittania, Mauretania, are wonderful. But the others have their perks if you absolutely need them. No complaints. No argument.

Archived