How to avoid sunburn?

rjf32

Fair skinned people are at a much higher risk for Skin cancer. Mr spook is a redhead and I inherited the ghost like skin of my German ancestors. Getting a base tan can actually do more harm than good for people like us.

Sunscreen is of course obvious..I won't wear anything under 30spf and DH nothing under 45spf.

hats are imperative, as are sunglasses. yes, you CAN burn your eyes(not the eyelid, the actual retina) with the reflection off the water, especially in the Tropical locales.

Hydration and moisturization is also important. be sure and balance all the booze drinking with water as well as applying a soothing moisturizer daily.

I used to burn very easily as well. I would put on sunscreen 1 hour before leaving the shade and would burn within 5 minutes of stepping outside. A few years ago I switched sunscreen brands from Coppertone to Ocean Potion. I have not burned once while using Ocean Potion 50. Try it. The only place that carries it near me (Tampa, FL) is Wal-Mart.

My husband and I go tanning as a ritual before our cruises. Neither of us has burned once. We will still though, use an 8 spf the first couple of days just in case!

You should always wear sunblock when in the sun even with a tan because everybody needs some protection from the ultraviolet rays.

I'm a redhead, too, and have had skin cancer. My dermotalogist recommended Bullfrog sunscreen(I like the quick-drying gel) and I've had great results with it for years. Apply all exposed areas(tops of feet, ears, everywhere) really well 30 min before going out and reapply every hour or so AND every time you get wet or perspire a lot. Wear a good hat and DARK glasses. I always sit in the shade when possible, and wear a shirt when snorkeling.

A bad burn will RUIN a vacation- Pack a bottle of aloe vera for your cabin fridge just in case...and Tylenol.

I live in Florida and always cringe when I see people frying themselves. Ghostly white is not pretty, but neither is lobster red!

BTW, your fiance is a lucky girl to have such a caring fellow!:)

Just last night on the evening news (Fox Channel) they were advertising a product called "Heliocare". I went to the site to check it out. Evidently this product has been used in Europe for over a decade. Here's what it says.

UV Sun Protection in Capsules

protecting solar skin damage from the inside out

Heliocare® is an oral dietary supplement with antioxidant properties which helps maintain the skin's ability to protect against sun related effects and aging.*

Currently Heliocare® (Polypodium leucotomos extract) is the only agent known to provide systemic photoprotection, making it a major scientific breakthrough in sun protection. Although topical sunscreen formulations provide varied levels of protection against UVB and UVA radiation and protect from burning, they cannot completely stop all harmful UV rays from penetrating the skin. Heliocare® works by sustaining the skin's natural ability to deal with sun (UV) related effects and aging.*

UV radiation that penetrates the skin can trigger the release of free radicals that affect DNA and the cutaneous immune system.

Here's the site if you want to check it out yourself.

http://heliocare.com/

I burn extremely easy, and often need to wear a shirt/coverup whenever I'm in the sun. I have found that the absolute best sunblock for me is one of the baby sunblock types that is SPF 50 - but it MUST contain TITANIUM DIOXIDE! In addition to being great as a sunblock, it is also for sensitive skin, and doesn't irritate my skin the way regular sunblock sometimes can. Be sure it is waterproof and or sweatproof. Also, be sure to buy a new bottle. After one year, Sunscreen starts to lose its effectiveness. Although most people may not notice this, it you are extremely sensitive, you don't want to take any chances.

It has Parsol 1789 in it. I use it all over where I will be exposed to the sun, AND wear a hat.

Reapply if you're out for long periods of time. Also, wash the palms of your hands, as it will sting if you wipe your eyes later on.

Parsol 1789 is THE key to great sunblock. Or Titaniaum dioxide - though that can leave white streaks.

Also, I sometimes buy baby sunblock to use around the eye area because it doesn't sting if it gets into my eye.

Also ladies be careful with expensive handbags. I had to replace the handles on one because my sunblock caused the dye in the leather to fade.

If you do get sunburned, take some tylenol and put some ice packs on your burn as soon as you realize you've got it. That spray solarcaine helps too or the aloe gel..take some with you from home. Then keep on moisture lotion so you don't peel! (Obviously I've been burned before!!) Try to keep the burned areas covered up until it isn't red anymore when you are in the sun.

Archived