Review says " smoking not allowed in cabins""

grannynurse

[quote name='grannynurse']Hi all, This is the reply I got frm HAL regarding smoking in cabins . . .[/quote]

I'm just saying thanks for getting the official current word. So many times we beat ourselves to death on a point when we just haven't asked the right question or person. susana.

[quote name='grannynurse']. We currently have no plans to prohibit smoking throughout our fleet, as we continue to have many older guests and many European guests who are much more likely to smoke.

QUOTE]

I disagree that "older guests" are more likely to smoke...As a older senior I have found that many of my age that have survived have given up smoking...Of course that is just my perception...I find it interesting that HAL has admitted openly that they have "many older guests".

[quote name='Opinions'] I disagree that "older guests" are more likely to smoke...As a older senior I have found that many of my age that have survived have given up smoking...Of course that is just my perception...I find it interesting that HAL has admitted openly that they have "many older guests".[/QUOTE]

While many older guests have given up smoking, probably a majority of them, it is still true that older guests are more likely to smoke than younger pax.

Why do you find it interesting that HAL "admits openly" that they have many older guests?? HAL doesn't make a secret that the average age of their pax is 50, but why would they be ashamed of that fact anyway? These pax are what keeps HAL in business and they are happy to have them as loyal Mariners.

[quote name='Opinions
I disagree that "older guests" are more likely to smoke...[/quote']

A year ago I would have thought the same thing. However, on my transatlantic cruise last year, there were many guests, who I would politely call, much older than the average cruiser. There were also many more smokers than I would have imagined. Most seemed to take the attitude that they had lasted that long and weren't going to worry about it anymore. susana.

[quote][B]Opinions[/B]..................I find it interesting that HAL has admitted openly that they have "many older guests".[/quote]

What I find even more interesting is that anyone might see HAL "admitting" it caters to an older demographic as a negative!!!:)

For many, it's a positive.

Baby boomers are now maturing into that frightening word "older" and as we continue to see larger and larger numbers of "older" people, I think more and more advertising will be directed toward this group. I personally see this as a welcome change.

[quote name='peaches from georgia']While many older guests have given up smoking, probably a majority of them, it is still true that older guests are more likely to smoke than younger pax.

Why do you find it interesting that HAL "admits openly" that they have many older guests?? HAL doesn't make a secret that the average age of their pax is 50, but why would they be ashamed of that fact anyway? [/QUOTE]

Every statistic I have seen shows that those over 60 are less likely to smoke than those younger...And my friends of my age most seem to be non-smokers...As a 79 year young long time HAL cruiser I find it interesting if any cruise line today admits it has many older guests..(I didn't say "ashamed".)...They all seem to be marketing their product to a younger audience...But that is only my perception of their aim.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, Opinions, but generally speaking when one uses the word "admits", it suggests the negative.

It's rare one "admits" to something positive. You always hear someone has "admitted" their guilt ... yet rarely do I hear someone has "admitted" their innocence.

Although I will "admit";) that if we're using the true definition of the word, you definitely used it correctly:D and I misread.

I haven't smoked in about 35 years. If I've ever been in a cabin where someone has smoked (and I'm sure I have), I have not noticed a smoke odor. However, there is a very strong smell sometimes when I first enter the stateroom and I'm assuming it's a combination of their cleaning agents, disinfectant, etc.

I have noticed when walking into a hotel room where someone has smoked so my smoke sensitivity is pretty strong.

The "just arrived" disinfectant smell does not linger long. I'm sure you'll be fine if you're concerned about it.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Well, let's hope that settles it---at least for a while. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Thanks for reporting back, grannynurse. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Yes, hopefully that settles it. Hopefully, that policy will stay in effect for years to come. There's no reason that smokers and non-smokers can't co-exist on a ship in harmony. All it takes is a little bit of common sense and a lot of courtesy ... on the part of both sides of the issue.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']I can't help but wonder ...

Just how are the cruiselines going to enforce a no smoking in the cabins rule?

--rita[/quote]

Look for cameras in the towel animals! ;)

Pat, We liked it more than we expected, except that it is to big. Lots of walking. If we have to fly to FLL we would take anything but a Vista. As long
as she is going out of NY we will sail on her. We all had a good time. Diane was with us and upgraded to a suite. Some of us are planning to book for Jan
and April. Again, only because it is so convienent for us.

Hi all! Just got off the Oosterdam yesterday and we had ashtrays on our balcony. I was a bit surprised! Our room did not smell of smoke at all.

We got a picture of all of us in our cute Dutch hats! It was fun!

Kristy :)

I also received an answer to my email to Hal on this subject. Here it is.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]Thank you for the e-mail regarding your upcoming ms ZAANDAM cruise.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]As per your inquiry, we have developed "designated smoking areas" on board each of our ships in the majority of public areas; however, smoking is, of course, not permitted in the elevators. We do not offer non-smoking staterooms, and we do not restrict guests from smoking in their staterooms.

Holland America Line does everything possible to ensure that each of our smoking or non-smoking guests have a pleasurable cruise experience. At this time, we have no word of a smoke-free vessel to be introduced to our fleet. Unfortunately, it seems that inaccurate information has been posted on the Cruise Critic website and we hope the above information helps to clarify our position in the matter.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your comments. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived