Review says " smoking not allowed in cabins""

grannynurse

In her recent Zaandam review BrowneyedGurl says that smoking is no longer allowed in any stateroom on HAL ships.

Can anyone else back this up?

It would have to be verified by a very recent cruiser (since the Star fire, I assume).

Thank you

Grannynurse

I asked where/how she got this information. She hasn't answered yet.

I don't think it makes any sense. Princess had the fire, but she said ONLY Princess allows smoking.

Do you think it is possible to keep this thread on track and get the question answered ?

If anyone wants to talk about the evils of smoking, how many people smoke, how many don't smoke, opinions on smoking on ships etc...............

PLEASE START ANOTHER THREAD.

I am not trying to be rude or anthing like that, but I would like to know the answer without wading through tons of the usual posts on smoking.

Thanks,

Giz :)

Grannynurse - I got off Volendam last Sunday and smoking was permitted in cabins. She also said in her review that there is no more "Dutch" night on the ships that have undergone SOE upgrades. There was definitely a "Dutch" night while I was on Volendam. Saw it in the daily program and that night I saw a few women walking around in the little white hats.....

Claudia

I kind of wonder about the information. The Dutch Night thing alone makes me curious as we were on the Volendam a month ago, it had gone through SOE in December as I recall and we had Dutch Night. :confused:

Hi Giz,

I definitely agree with you. I just want my question answered not philosophical discussions on "my evil habit".

How would you word the thread heading?

or

Maybe I'll wait until Sail7Seas gets home. I'm sure she'll know the answer.

Thanks for your ideas.

and Jean, you certainly hit the nail on the head!

GN

Just returned last sunday from Westerdam, whilst on board we were at the front desk,this guy came up and said he couldn't find an ashtray in his room and was he in a no smoking room, all our staterooms are smoking and are throughly cleaned afterwards was the reply from front desk so that clears that up:rolleyes:

Although we all know that the HAL website is a pile of youknowwhat, they have not changed their page re smoking in cabins:

Planning & Advice:

On-board Policies

Smoking

For the comfort of all of our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available in most lounges. Smoking is not permitted at any time in dining areas. Our ships do not have "nonsmoking" staterooms; however, all rooms are thoroughly cleaned after each cruise to assure the comfort of our guests. All showrooms are nonsmoking during performances.

The website and Know Before You Go are usually the last to know and publish any new policy. And customer service gives 10 different answers to every question.

All I want HAL to do is tell us the TRUTH- what will the policy be for the next 6 months minimum so we will have a chance to cancel (or book), knowing the FACTS! That is NOT too much to ask. It's our money! :mad:

Brown Eyed Gurl responded and I posted this on the other thread.

The main office was telling this to everyone, there were no ashtrays in our room. Paperwork in rooms directed smokers to lounges and decks that had ashtrays or signs. Before our trip we were told by our TA and read in the HAL documents that smoking was allowed in staterooms, but I can only assume it recently changed??

Thanks for your response. I got another question.

Did the main office tell you personally, that smoking was not allowed in cabins or did you just hear this from someone?

It is very common not to have an ash tray in the cabin. If you need one, you ask for it.

If I recall correctly there is some paper work that mentions there are designated smoking areas on the ship.

Peaches,

I agree.

If there was a change in policy, wouldn't they have inserted something in our docs for a sailing three weeks from now announcing it? They did have the dining experiment notice (we're sailing the Oosterdam.)

It`s totally amzing to me that people who have one cruise under their belts can suddenly be authorities on a whole cruise line and know what is and is not allowed........jean:cool:

I hardly think she was proclaiming to be an "authority on a whole cruise line." She was simply reporting what she had been told, as well as her experience.

Are first time cruisers not allowed to post their experiences, or must they wait until they have several cruises under their belts?

I hardly think she was proclaiming to be an "authority on a whole cruise line." She was simply reporting what she had been told, as well as her experience.

Are first time cruisers not allowed to post their experiences, or must they wait until they have several cruises under their belts?

Can't we all just get along??

I'm wondering if it's possible the OP on the Zaandam thread misunderstood the smoking information given? IIRC she didn't say she was given a paper that specifically said "no smoking in cabins", but rather that she was given a paper that told where smoking was allowed outside the cabins. Could she have inferred (incorrectly) that smoking was therefore banned in the cabin?

For years I haven't found an ashtray in my cabin---even though smoking was allowed. I did find one there on the 3/15 Noordam cruise (happy surprise! I use them for jewelry at night). The Princess fire happened during my cruise.

I do understand that this could be a very, very new change in policy. And it could be a very, very new change on the Zaandam only. I think we need confirmation not only from other recent HAL passengers, but also from other recent Zaandam passengers.

(grannynurse, I hope this stayed on the "OT" side of your request to stay on topic.)

I agree with everyone that nine times out of ten there's no ashtray in the cabin. DH smokes a pipe (on the balcony) and he always has to ask for an ashtray. So not having an ashtray is not a clue.

I'll be interested to find out. Of course managing such a policy would be very difficult so they might just try a policy of discouraging it.

Did anyone call? I know we'll get 10 different answers, but if they've really changed to a "no smoking in cabins" policy you would think they would alert their staff:) .

I agree with everyone that nine times out of ten there's no ashtray in the cabin. DH smokes a pipe (on the balcony) and he always has to ask for an ashtray. So not having an ashtray is not a clue.

I'll be interested to find out. Of course managing such a policy would be very difficult so they might just try a policy of discouraging it.

Did anyone call? I know we'll get 10 different answers, but if they've really changed to a "no smoking in cabins" policy you would think they would alert their staff:) .

Heather-

Sad to say, but we are usually more up to date here on the new programs. Many times I've called regarding published changes and been told, they have no knowledge of it. When I said it was announced as a press release, the HAL rep. stated that they don't get the press releases!:eek:

Archived