Our first cruise as Elite members of Captain's Club

kelmac

This was our 22nd cruise and our 10th cruise with Celebrity. I was interested to see if our first experience cruising as Elite members would make much difference. Well, we were treated very, very well.:)

Embarkation was a breeze, with the new Xpress boarding passes and the special Select/Elite boarding line, we were on the ship in less than 10 minutes. A+

We thought our luck had run out as we have always had perfect cabins on Celebrity; as we entered you could tell a heavy smoker had occupied the cabin the cruise before and the safe was open, but locked. We ran into Darleen, our cabin attendant, as we were leaving and told he were going to see if we could get a cabin change, or a paid upgrade to fix the situation. We could feel her concern about the situation, as I'm sure she felt responsible for the condition of the cabin. We told her it was not her fault, and not to worry. As it turned out, the Century was having one of those spot health inspections that morning, and Darleen couldn't spend as much time in the cabin as she had planned. The Century got a 100% rating on the inspecition.

At guest relations, we indicated we were Elite members and have never had any problems with our cabins in the past. They had no available cabins, as many had been sold last minute to the Star Princess customers.

This visit, however, set into motion a frenzy of activity in our cabin. A special cleaning took place, walls were cleaned, all bedding was removed, a special air treatment, and the carpet was cleaned. When we came back from lunch and time roaming around the ship, we could not believe the difference. The cabin was spotless and the asst' hotel director met with us in the cabin, fixed the safe and spent ten minutes with us talking about the upgrades coming up on the Century. He offered to give us a tour of the "mock up" cabin on deck eight and made us feel like valued customers!

A+

Once again, just as things were looking up, another problem. The Asst' Maitre'd in charged of seating indicated that even though we were the first people on his list to be changed from a table for eight, to a table for two, we would have to wait 24 hours. This is one area Celebrity has always had trouble. We always requested a 2-top, but never have been assigned one. No problem, as every Asst' Maitre'd has always made the change as we make sure we visit him as soon as we board the ship. Not this guy, he would not budge. We don't let things like this slow us down, so we just headed off to the buffet, hot tubs, pool, cruise critic get together..., I didn't feel good about this situation, as I know dining together at a table for two is a tradition with us. We're not antisocial, but we enjoy this special time together and didn't want to bond with a group of table mates, only to tell them we would not be returning the next night. So I made a visit to the Asst' Maitre'd one more time and mentioned our Elite status and our history with tables on Celebirty. He was not happy about it, but he assigned us a very nice table for four, that had been converted into a table for two for us. Bingo, problem solved. B- (not going to mention this guys name)

The first formal night we were invited to the Captain's table to dine with the first officer. I don't think this was because of our Elite status, as this was the fifth time we have been invited. I think it has more to do with my tall, blond, cute, funny, and happy wife. The social hostess/Captain's club hostess always spots her and makes a bee line to us and we know what's going to happen. It's become somewhat of a game with us. On the Summit we actually hid from the social hostess, as you start feeling quilty about all the invites. Sure enough, they seated Lauren next to the first officer and we had a great evening!:) A+

The third day, a flower arrangement from the Captain's club arrived. We got all the usual coupons, internet credit, beach bag..., In addition, we were invited to the theater tour (behind the sceens), the galley tour, the wine mixing party, the special officers party, and the Captain's club party.

A+

One really nice perk of the Elite level, was the ability to use the Aqua spa pool every day at no additional cost. We made a trip there just about every day. Wow, the pool is great and the steam room was as hot as I have ever experienced. Lauren was good for about 2 minutes in there.

A++

Priority tendering tickets and passes were waiting in our cabin each night and we would be the first to board a tender each day one was required.

A+

Through out the cruise we received several calls in our state room following up on the condition of our cabin and to check on how things were going.

A+

Disembarkation day was the best ever. Even though we were just headed to a local hotel for a post cruise stay, we were invited to Michaels Club that morning and were allow to leave the ship before anyone else. We were literally the first to arrive at the taxi area at 8:30am. Zero waiting around before leaving the ship.

A+++

As usual, we had a great cruise with Celebrity! We are big fans of HAL, but after this cruise experience it just solidifies the fact that Celebrity is cut above all the rest! We had a great time with our Cruise Critic group! The best ever and look forward to our next cruise on the Millennium.

Enjoy!

Kel

Hey Kelly:) wow, sounds like Century was top notch for you!

Great review.....but no harm in mentioning the Maitr'd's name....

I am really curious who he was:eek: as normally they do everything

than can to accomodate those requests....did he happen to be

from Poland? Just curious, Richard did those requests last year when

I sailed her and he was great! Then our own maitr'd was Nelson,

who was fabulous:)

Glad you both had a great cruise!:D

After I sail Zenith I will be elite too;) my signature shows that

will only be 8 but for some reason whenever I have called Capts

Club they always have me down for one more than I can recall....

not sure how that happened!

Hey Kelly:) wow, sounds like Century was top notch for you!

Great review.....but no harm in mentioning the Maitr'd's name....

I am really curious who he was:eek: as normally they do everything

than can to accomodate those requests....did he happen to be

from Poland? Just curious, Richard did those requests last year when

I sailed her and he was great! Then our own maitr'd was Nelson,

who was fabulous:)

Glad you both had a great cruise!

After I sail Zenith I will be elite too;) my signature shows that

will only be 8 but for some reason whenever I have called Capts

Club they always have me down for one more than I can recall....

not sure how that happened!

Hi Lois!

All of the Asst' Maitre'd s we have encountered with Celebrity have been the best. I'm sure this guy just has a different style when it comes to changing seating--I looked at the electronic board and could see several tables in gray with a zero number indicated. He had open tables, but he wanted to make all the changes at the same time. This makes total sense to a "linear thinker" -- find out where everyone belongs and make changes once. Efficient, but horrible customer service. Andrew from Poland, or Andrew from the Philipines, would have just said, "why of course, Mr Mac, I have a lovely table for you located....," The whole thing would have taken 30 seconds and he would have received a generous tip from us on the last evening. If fact, most Asst' Maitre'ds that have made changes for us have located us in their section of the dining room. Oh well.

Lauren and I did a 12 night cruise on the Galaxy this past December, and that gave us the extra number to move us to Elite.

Hope to see you on the Millennium in December, and have a great time on the Zeinth!!

Kel:)

Your thread somewhat mirrors our Mercury experience minus the smoke and table. My DW and I have always enjoyed our Xperience! Our next cruise on the Mercury is next February and we too, will go aboard for the first time as Elite members.

Rick

Hi Kel and Lauren Glad you had a great cruise.Remember me from our almost cruise together last year.We will be going on Zenith next month to Bermuda.Hope our cruise experience is just as good.

Hi Ann!

Catch me up on your cruises since you did the Century out of Amsterdam! We really want to do that Bermuda itinerary--maybe during the summer if we can get a deal.

As you know, I have a real knack for scheduling cruises that don't happen. This Century cruise was supposed be on the Millennium, but they sent the Millennium to South America and switched us to the Infinity, and of course the Infinity went into dry dock during our scheduled week, so we ended up on the Century. No problem, as we got a special deal, and loads of ship board credit. You know how that works!:rolleyes: :)

Have fun, and I'm sure we will end up on the same ship down the road!

Kelly

Hi Lois!

All of the Asst' Maitre'd s we have encountered with Celebrity have been the best. I'm sure this guy just has a different style when it comes to changing seating--I looked at the electronic board and could see several tables in gray with a zero number indicated. He had open tables, but he wanted to make all the changes at the same time. This makes total sense to a "linear thinker" -- find out where everyone belongs and make changes once. Efficient, but horrible customer service. Andrew from Poland, or Andrew from the Philipines, would have just said, "why of course, Mr Mac, I have a lovely table for you located....," The whole thing would have taken 30 seconds and he would have received a generous tip from us on the last evening. If fact, most Asst' Maitre'ds that have made changes for us have located us in their section of the dining room. Oh well.

Lauren and I did a 12 night cruise on the Galaxy this past December, and that gave us the extra number to move us to Elite.

Hope to see you on the Millennium in December, and have a great time on the Zeinth!!

While I've had problems with table mixups on Celebrity the only time I couldn't get it resolved the first night was on Century. The Asst Maitre'D was almost rude to us. His name was Dorin. Funny thing was he had been our waiter on a previous cruise and was as sweet & charming as he could be!

Terri

While I've had problems with table mixups on Celebrity the only time I couldn't get it resolved the first night was on Century. The Asst Maitre'D was almost rude to us. His name was Dorin. Funny thing was he had been our waiter on a previous cruise and was as sweet & charming as he could be!

Terri

Hi Terri,

I just ask Lauren if his name was Dorin, and we couldn't agree (remember). It might have been? I will ask the people over on our roll call board what his name was.

Enjoy!

Kel

Once again, just as things were looking up, another problem. The Asst' Maitre'd in charged of seating indicated that even though we were the first people on his list to be changed from a table for eight, to a table for two, we would have to wait 24 hours. This is one area Celebrity has always had trouble. We always requested a 2-top, but never have been assigned one. No problem, as every Asst' Maitre'd has always made the change as we make sure we visit him as soon as we board the ship. Not this guy, he would not budge. We don't let things like this slow us down, so we just headed off to the buffet, hot tubs, pool, cruise critic get together..., I didn't feel good about this situation, as I know dining together at a table for two is a tradition with us. We're not antisocial, but we enjoy this special time together and didn't want to bond with a group of table mates, only to tell them we would not be returning the next night. So I made a visit to the Asst' Maitre'd one more time and mentioned our Elite status and our history with tables on Celebirty. He was not happy about it, but he assigned us a very nice table for four, that had been converted into a table for two for us. Bingo, problem solved. B- (not going to mention this guys name)

I would have spoken to the Maitre'd if there was a problem with the Asst' Maitre'd. If no satisfaction there I would have spoken to the Guest Relations Manager and if no satisfaction there, the Hotel Director.

I would have spoken to the Maitre'd if there was a problem with the Asst' Maitre'd. If no satisfaction there I would have spoken to the Guest Relations Manager and if no satisfaction there, the Hotel Director.

kewlguy,

Not really a problem, just a different style of doing things. If he had not given us a different table for the first night dining, I would have contacted the Maitre'd.

It just dosen't seem right to show up to a table of eight and bond with all those people, just to bail on them for the rest of the cruise.

One of the things I really like about Holland America, is the ability to not only request a specific table type, but an actual table number. We have requested a specific table on all our HAL cruises and they have honored every request. Celebrity could learn something here!:rolleyes:

Still, Celebrity is our number one cruise line!!:D

Enjoy!

Kel

One of the dining room staff members was not only curt,but downright rude to a member of our party of 64. We spoke to the Restaurant Manager.. it went all the way to the Hotel Manager.

Unfortunately for the waiter, he definitely picked the wrong passenger. The President of major New England travel agency.

It was not she who complained, though. It was done on her behalf.

I am sailing on the Constellation for their Canada New England 11 nights in October. I am an elite member but never sailed on Celebrity (except the Xpedition) and you answered my questions before I asked, thanks. I am diamond plus on RCL if you're wondering, so I automatically became an elite member. I am glad we don't have to go to the tender area and ask about priority debarkation, the tix are in the cabin. I'm excited about this cruise. I will probably compare X to RCL this first time.

I am sailing on the Constellation for their Canada New England 11 nights in October. I am an elite member but never sailed on Celebrity (except the Xpedition) and you answered my questions before I asked, thanks. I am diamond plus on RCL if you're wondering, so I automatically became an elite member. I am glad we don't have to go to the tender area and ask about priority debarkation, the tix are in the cabin. I'm excited about this cruise. I will probably compare X to RCL this first time.

Hi Karyn8,

I think you are in for a real treat! We sailed the Constellation when it was in it's first month of service. Great, great ship! We've sailed RCL five times and love the "look" of their ships. Where Celebrity will shine is in the food and service departments--make sure you eat once in the alternative restaurant.

Yes, the evening before each tender port, you will receive tender passes in your room. Your sea pass will be white and have the words "Elite Member" printed at the bottom of the card. Visit the Captain's club hostess (next to guest relations) the first day and introduce yourself. If you have any questions, or concerns, she will help you out.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Kel...You said you were on your 10th cruise and attained Elite status...is that correct? I thought I had read somewhere it wasn't attained until AFTER your 10th cruise. Whoopee...we'll be on our 10th sailing at the end of the month, hope we get the extra perks...mainly those priority tendering tickets! Linda

Kel...You said you were on your 10th cruise and attained Elite status...is that correct? I thought I had read somewhere it wasn't attained until AFTER your 10th cruise. Whoopee...we'll be on our 10th sailing at the end of the month, hope we get the extra perks...mainly those priority tendering tickets! Linda

Hi Linda,

The reason we moved to Elite in only nine cruises is because our last cruise was on the Galaxy for 12 nights. Longer cruises give you two credits toward the next level. I beleive suite guests also receive an additional credit (all though, we have never had a suite). We've cruised many 9 to 14 nights cruises with Celebrity, but only in the last couple of years has the policy changed. The whole system is based on credits now, not just cruises taken.:rolleyes: :)

Have a great cruise!

Kel

Kel, thanks for the report. DW and I have taken five cruises on Celebrity all in RS, and on our next cruise on Infinity in Sept. to Alaska, they told us that we are now Elite members of the Captain's Club.

DW is a goumet cook, and has always wanted to see the galley but has not yet been given an opportunity. As Elite, were you given that opportunity on Century?

We loved Century on both of our cruises, and were amazed that several pax had viciously bashed her in this forum. We always received priority tender passes because we were in Royal Suites, however found that if an excusion group was departing, that we would have to wait for that group to pass, before we could board the tender.

Kel, thanks for the report. DW and I have taken five cruises on Celebrity all in RS, and on our next cruise on Infinity in Sept. to Alaska, they told us that we are now Elite members of the Captain's Club.

DW is a goumet cook, and has always wanted to see the galley but has not yet been given an opportunity. As Elite, were you given that opportunity on Century?

We loved Century on both of our cruises, and were amazed that several pax had viciously bashed her in this forum. We always received priority tender passes because we were in Royal Suites, however found that if an excusion group was departing, that we would have to wait for that group to pass, before we could board the tender.

Yes, there was a galley tour. Since I had already done several on this ship, I did not go. After 20 cruises as Elite, the galley tours, backstage tours, etc. lose their appeal.

The poor girl is more than ready for her revitalization. Our particular stateroom (8022) stunk to high heaven of mildew: Beds, pillows, draperies, rugs, the insides of the closets and drawers. I sprayed and sprayed with Lysol to no avail. Our a/c never worked properly (too warm), the telephone broke, the safe and the tv. All were fixed, except the a/c. Food was not very good, and that was the general consensus of the 9 at my table, all past passengers.

Service was slow in the Cova, Michael's and Images during busy times, with one bartender in Michael's and two in Images. Upon debarkation they were throwing out old mattresses. I can only pray they were from crew quarters as they were in such deplorable condition, the thought of passengers having slept on them made me sick to my stomach.

Charlie, I was invited on the Galley Tour when I sailed Summit

back in October and I am not "Elite". I am sure you and Nedra

are "Select" and as far as I know the invitations go out to those

folks too.

Thanks Lois, contrary to another poster we have not had an opportunity to have a tour of the Galley, and I think Nedra will be delighted to have that opportunity.

We were select on Mercury in January, and since that was our 5th. cruise in a RS, that gave us 10 cruises. I went back and checked my Celebrity account on their website, and they show both of us to be Elite. :D

Did you notice that we are trying SilverSea in December? Over on those boards, there is the same moaning, groaning and bashing as here. I wish some would get a life and go rock climbing or something. You remember all of the nasty posts about Century, and then we went on her last year and found the complaints to be unfounded. We had a great cruise, infact all of our five cruises on Celebrity have been great and memorable experiences. However, we are rather optimistic people, and always have a great time because we are together, and others are waiting on us :D.

Tuesday, we fly to Kauai!!!!! Golf and sightseeing. Take care Lois, and one of these days we will actually be on the same cruise. :D

cechase,

Lauren and I have attended several Galley tours while we were Select members. Not sure why they didn't include you??? Anyway, the Galley's are spotless and very organized. Master chef for each department. I will try and include a photo (if I can figure it out??:o )

Enjoy!

Kel

847489501_winterbreak2005005.JPG.e6f4d3b95d215bce418b769fb752af20.JPG

Hi Kelmac: I think the reason is that we have only been on C class vessels. I believe that this is a standard tour on M class vessels.

Thanks for the pictures - my DW will probably go nuts in anticipation of visiting the galley. [Food channel is her very favorite channel! :D]

We were on the Century in November of 2005 and had also requested a table for 2. We are Elite members with over 30 cruises credited. For the past 20 cruises or so, we have had excellent luck to be able to get a table for 2 as requested. Also, we always choose first seating as it is usually less crowded and we have a better chance to get a table for 2.

Unfortunately, on this cruise, even though we did pick the first seating, there were no 2 tops available. We asked to change but there was nothing at either seating. The Maitre’ D explained that there were several reasons for this. First of all, everyone seemed to want first seating that cruise and there were a lot more open tables on the second seating (no tables for 2 though). Secondly, the suite guests and the Concierge Class passengers get priority choice over Elite members and it just so happened that there were many more of them asking for tables for 2. Third, he said that Century has many less 2 tops than the other ships, and that he has noticed that it is a problem on many runs.

So, we had to sit at an 8 top. No big deal. But, we really do like to sit by ourselves and we were a bit disappointed. We were casually speaking with the Maitre’ D one evening before the final formal night and he graciously offered us an opportunity to come to the second seating on formal night and he would have a table for 2 set up for us. It seems that one of his suite guests that had been assigned the 2 top did not like formal evenings. They were getting a dinner in their suite so we were able to use their table for the evening. It turned out great. The Maitre’ D even gave us a free bottle of wine.

The reason I am explaining this is that the most important reason we love Celebrity is the wonderful service and kindness we have received over the years. This was a great example. He could have just said - too bad - so sad and left us disappointed , but no! He actually went out of his way to make sure we were happy. It takes someone who cares to put 2 and 2 together and make the effort to please - he did the very best he could under the circumstances.

Our cruises are never perfect. But MOST of the time they do a fantastic job.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived