TA: Constellation or QM2?

Dr65

I am a dedicated Celebrity fan but I am concerned about a transatlantic aboard an M class due to weather. Does anyone have any ideas about the QM2 and its ride quality vs. M class? I've heard that food and service are not up to what I'm used to on Celebrity but will sacrifice this aspect to get a smoother voyage. Thanks, Dr65

I've done T/A (Eastbound) on Connie, and it was so smooth, I was actually disappointed! Even the infamous 'Bay of Biscay' was nothing for the Connie.

She's a great ship, and handles really well. The North Atlantic (especially the direct NYC-Southampton run) is notorious for rough seas, and the QM2 is kitted out to handle it well.

My question would be, what are the itineraries? For instance, Celeb Connie is doing a T/Alantic E/Bound on 28April, but if you look, it is EIGHT nights (instead of the usual FIVE for a crossing) so I can only presume that she will be taking a much more southerly routing than the QM2 (and therefore avoid the rougher more northern passage).

Can't help you on the ship stability, but we've been on both the Connie and the QM2 and thought the food and service was better on the QM2, not to mention that the ship is spectaular. We were not expecting much as we had sailed on QE2 years before and thought the food was horrible, but the Qm2's food was really good and we were in the regular dining room.

Qm2 is definitely worth doing at least once to experience her.

But I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose.

The QM2 was designed for transatlantic sailing threfore had a deep draft The other ships whether it be Celebrity, RCI, Carnival etc etc were designed for Caribbean sailings and have drafts of about 25 feet give or take. This allows them to dock at most islands.

The deeper draft allows more smoother sailings in rough water teh type you can usually, but not always expect when crossing teh Atlantic

Hope this helps

In my 44 cruises on just about every line out there, I was the most disappointed in the QM2. We had a Queens Grill suite and while the food in the QG was fine, it was really not much better than Celebrity. And when you pay the kind of money you do for a QG suite, you expect the food in the QG to be different than what's served in the main dining room---but the menu was exactly the same. Yes, they do have an ala carte menu, but still, the point is, you can get a much cheaper room and get the same food in their main restaurant. The service on the QM2 was very poor, and the King's Court buffet was the worst I've ever experienced with the seating areas being filthy and the food uninspiring. You would literally stick to the tables because they were never washed off, the floors were sticky because no one bothered to wipe up spills and chairs were covered in dropped food. While the ship is lovely in areas, it's one of the worst designed ships I've ever been on. If you want to go from one place to another on the same deck, there are times when you have to go up or down one or two floors because the main dining room is in the way and you cannot cut through the dining room. One of the main pools is aft, but there's no easy way to get to it because the Todd English restaurant is right there and they don't allow you to cut through the restaurant to access the pool. You have to walk out, go up a flight of stairs, walk over an area and then down another flight of stairs to get to the pool. Give me Celebrity, Crystal or Seabourn anytime.

I have done two TA's on the Constellation - she travels very well - never had a bad crossing. Had rough seas in the Bay of Biscay one time, but she did not roll much at all.

We are going on the Jewel of the Seas on April 30th and it is 14 nights to the UK. It is a cruise as well as the crossing which the QM2 does!! Costs about the same too!!!

We have gotten the impression that the QM2 was hyped to the teeth but in the end she is a Carnival ship and that should probably say it all! Too many people have been coming home disappointed. If it is ship handling you are concerned about then yes the QM2 is better equipt to handle advers weather than the Connie.

If it is just the overall experiance you are looking for then I would suggest saving the big bucks and head for the Constellation she is definately better value for money even with her little problems

We did TA last year westbound on Connstellation in mid September. The ride was wonderful. The Constellation handles very well. I guess it depends how much money you want to spend and how much time you have for the crossing. When Constellation crosses it is much more than a true TA which is just transportation from one continent to another. When Constellation crosses it takes about two weeks because of different ports it visits. Pat

While I haven't been on Constellation, I have been on her sister the Summit. Did a r/t NYC trip this past January on QM2, and while I'm glad I went for the experience, my balcony cabin on Summit was every bit as nice...actually, it was identical, down to the bathroom sink.

The Queen has it over Celebrity on public room decor and sheer size, but for variety of food I'd stick with Celebrity. Usually by the second morning aboard I've seen pretty much every room and found my way around, but on QM2, after 12 days, there were at least 4 rooms I still hadn't gotten to...she's THAT big. (I can't even imagine trying to get around the new Behemoth of the Seas)

You're also restricted from the T-pool and saunas in the spa unless you're having a treatment that day or pay $25, not true on Celebrity. The only restricted area there is Persian Gardens (eh). Nice, but not worth any extra $$$.

As for the rough seas part, I wore my Sea Bands the entire time we were in the north Atlantic on QM2, never needed them once on Summit (in Alaska).

Glad I did the QM2, no need to repeat. I'd stick with Celebrity.

The QM2 is a tradition and must be experienced. We love our Celebrity M and RCCL Radiance class ships but as stated earlier the QM2 is built for Trans Atlantic Crossings. That being said anticipate at least four formal evenings and lots of walking. We took the QM2 down to the Caribbean from NYC on January 3rd and had a great time.

You do not have to be a Queens Grille passenger to experience the magnificance of the ship.

Good and reasonable rates are available in the USA. Tickets purchased in European markets seem to be higher.

While Crystal and Silverseas are more intimate and even classier,being on the QM2 should be a wonderful cruise if all goes well.

m

Archived