Views on Artemis Please

cruiser_58

Hi All

Hopefully will be booked on Artemis tomorrow for 07 - i know it's all about personal preferences but would love to hear everyone's viewpoint on her - good bad or indifferent. We intend to try as many different ships as possible, but we mainly book for the ports of call.

Regards

Noreen

Hi Noreen,

Did you get the cabin you wanted? Hope so.

What cruise are you doing?

We got the cabin we wanted on P713, we also booked for ports of call and time of year. Have been on all the other P&O ships and are really looking forward to trying Artimis. Though we are a little concerned about the reports we have heard. Hopefully you will get lots of positive (or not) replies, so I am really interested in your thread.

Heather

Hi Heather

Yes thanks - all booked now for Artemis P705 Essential Norway & Oriana X718 Iberian Isles in 07 and off on Arcadia J617 Northern Explorer this July. Have also been a little concerned about some posts about Artemis but still decided to try her.

Noreen

We sailed on her four times while she was flagship of the Princess fleet, and under name Royal Princess.

A lovely ship, and a real trend setter in her day. Should you hit rough water, Artemis is a very good rider.

I was sorry to see her leave the Princess fleet.

We sailed on her four times while she was flagship of the Princess fleet, and under name Royal Princess.

A lovely ship, and a real trend setter in her day. Should you hit rough water, Artemis is a very good rider.

I was sorry to see her leave the Princess fleet.

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply - good to know she can handle the rough weather.

Noreen

We went on Artemis to Norway last summer. We were full of doubts - mainly because although we have been on many cruises we had not been with P&O and also because we normally travel on smaller ships. We had a great time and liked the ship very much. Yes she is older, and she is not glitzy but she is a great size and we thought very comfortable and well run. We have just booked yesterday for a different Norway cruise for 2007. We enjoyed the daytime programme and thought the evening entertainment very good indeed. This I know is taste - we like the musical shows in an evening, though not the comedians, but also like classical and there was an excellent classical pianist before second sitting dinner who gave 6 concerts during the cruise.

Our problem is about Arcadia. We have also booked Arcadia for the Panama cruise for December 2007. There have been some bad reports about her too.

She is a little large for us I think, but on the other hand we were really pleased with P&O last year. The main complaints seem to be no atrium, decor too understated and too quiet. What do you think. Too our eyes the atrium on Artemis was fine, but we do not like the look of Oceana which we think is a bit glitzy. If those three complaints are the only ones we may well like the ship. How dead do you think it was.

Hi Heather

Yes thanks - all booked now for Artemis P705 Essential Norway & Oriana X718 Iberian Isles in 07 and off on Arcadia J617 Northern Explorer this July. Have also been a little concerned about some posts about Artemis but still decided to try her.

Noreen

Hi Noreen - I just thought I would say hello as Tony and are are also on the Northern Explorer aboard Arcadia in July. I have noticed form 'the other' CC site that there are several of their members aboard - hopefully we can have some sort of meet.

We did Celebrity last April/May and met a really nice bunch of people through this site. Celebrity even hosted a Coffee & Danish meet for everyone - twice :) .

Looking forward to further on-line correspondence with you before July,

Andrew

We have been on her once last year and have booked to cruise again this year in September.

Really enjoyed the"small ship "feel.Lots of deck space.Only thing missing was more alternative dining areas,but on a small ship space is at a premium.

We went on Artemis to Norway last summer. We were full of doubts - mainly because although we have been on many cruises we had not been with P&O and also because we normally travel on smaller ships. We had a great time and liked the ship very much. Yes she is older, and she is not glitzy but she is a great size and we thought very comfortable and well run. We have just booked yesterday for a different Norway cruise for 2007. We enjoyed the daytime programme and thought the evening entertainment very good indeed. This I know is taste - we like the musical shows in an evening, though not the comedians, but also like classical and there was an excellent classical pianist before second sitting dinner who gave 6 concerts during the cruise.

Our problem is about Arcadia. We have also booked Arcadia for the Panama cruise for December 2007. There have been some bad reports about her too.

She is a little large for us I think, but on the other hand we were really pleased with P&O last year. The main complaints seem to be no atrium, decor too understated and too quiet. What do you think. Too our eyes the atrium on Artemis was fine, but we do not like the look of Oceana which we think is a bit glitzy. If those three complaints are the only ones we may well like the ship. How dead do you think it was.

Hi Angela

Thanks for your reply and glad you had a good time on board her, comfort and service are a big part of a cruise so good to know that was fine.

We sail on Arcadia for the first time this July so will be happy to give you some feedback on her after that.

Noreen

Have never had any trouble with P&O ships"being Dead".We always have a good time.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for popping in to say hello. Yes it would be nice to have a meet - keep checking back on to 'the other' CC site, someone usually suggests a time\place for a meet. Best to take the lead from the ships official site i think.

Look forward to further correspondence with you both.

Noreen:D

We have been on her once last year and have booked to cruise again this year in September.

Really enjoyed the"small ship "feel.Lots of deck space.Only thing missing was more alternative dining areas,but on a small ship space is at a premium.

Thanks for the thumbs up, looking forward to experiencing the "small ship" environment. Your next cruise this month- have a wonderful time.

Noreen

We were on her in August and found that she has the best food of all the P & O ships - food in the restaurants was delicious and beautifully presented. She's a fairly quiet ship but very comfortable and clean. The entertainment was good - all in all, we had a lovely holiday.

Marge M

We were on her in August and found that she has the best food of all the P & O ships - food in the restaurants was delicious and beautifully presented. She's a fairly quiet ship but very comfortable and clean. The entertainment was good - all in all, we had a lovely holiday.

Marge M

Hi Marge

Thanks for your reply - pleased you had a lovely holiday. Good food, good entertainment marvellous. Really looking forward to trying her out.

Noreen

My wife and I and two friends depart Southampton this Saturday (Easter weekend) for two weeks around the med. After reading some mixed reviews I am looking forward to making my own opinion, will give you a potted review when we get back.

After being used to RCI and Princess I am expecting a rather more laid back genteel type of cruise, still no kids and all outside cabins is what appealed to me this time.As long as the food and ambience is fine then we will be more than happy, the entertainment I can take or leave usually, especially as it is usually club acts past their prime, being from Blackpool we have seen plenty of them.Denise Nolan and Douggie Brown were apparantly on the last long voyage as was Pauls sibling Martin Daniels, so looks like the bar lounge for us methinks. Anyway will let you know in a few weeks time.

bruceybabe the ambience and food are excellent.There is no pub as such but it seems to get away with it.

We love the adult only ships and Artemis is no different.

You will have a great cruise.

Some photos on my website.

Marge M

We were on in August as well to the Canaries.

Keith

My wife and I and two friends depart Southampton this Saturday (Easter weekend) for two weeks around the med. After reading some mixed reviews I am looking forward to making my own opinion, will give you a potted review when we get back.

After being used to RCI and Princess I am expecting a rather more laid back genteel type of cruise, still no kids and all outside cabins is what appealed to me this time.As long as the food and ambience is fine then we will be more than happy, the entertainment I can take or leave usually, especially as it is usually club acts past their prime, being from Blackpool we have seen plenty of them.Denise Nolan and Douggie Brown were apparantly on the last long voyage as was Pauls sibling Martin Daniels, so looks like the bar lounge for us methinks. Anyway will let you know in a few weeks time.

Have a lovely cruise and look forward to reading your review once back.

Thanks

Noreen

Hi - we are looking to book on Artemis in 2007 - read a few poor reviews, but still willing to give her a try. I read that the drinks are expensive and the decor in the cabins and bathrooms is poor.

any comments will be read with interest.

Jeanlyon:

The bathrooms aren't in the first flush of youth (if you pardon the pun) but are fine. The shower is very powerful and hot and you also get a bath which is a plus! Everything worked and was clean. Again the cabins aren't brand new, but comfortable. I would recommend that you have your cabin made up as a twin as then you will have more room and easier access to the balcony (if you have one.) Fabrics are new and fresh and all the cabins are outside which is good. Televisions are rather ancient, however. We didn't have a problem with the cabin and I heard no grumbles from anyone which is an indication of satisfaction too! It's possible that cabins could be refurbished by next year (?) As regards drinks, P & O's prices are standard across the fleet I believe. We don't find their prices any dearer than Princess or Celebrity.

Keith: We were on the same cruise I believe!!

Marge M

• 2 weeks later...
Have a lovely cruise and look forward to reading your review once back.

Thanks

Noreen

Just back from two weeks around the med. throughly enjoyed the cruise, food and ambiance were excellent so no complaints. Only downside, for us anyway was the lack of nightlife, still as around 80% of the passengers were over 70 and mostly in the 80's I don't think they were too bothered.Apart from when some of the ships crew joined in there were usually only ourselves plus maybe another couple or two dancing in the disco at nights, two thirds of the ship appeared to go to bed after 11.00 pm.The entertainment in the Starlite lounge from an Ukranian band doing a mixture of soft rock covers and strict tempo was quite good, my wife and I enjoy a bit of the come dancing stuff.The International lounge where the main shows were held was very comfortable and we never had any problems getting a seat unlike some previous comments I have read.Mind apart from the comedian we were not knocked out with the standard of the shows which were well presented, still this all down to personal taste.

The theme of this cruise which had only been decided late on was antiques, there were some very knowledgable lecturers on board, however as this is not an area that interests me I passed, though it was standing room only I believe. The classical piano player and the woman tinkling the ivories in Tiffanys lounge prior to dinner were ok but personally I am a rock n roller at heart so found this a trifle boring though most of the 'antique' passengers appeared to be lapping it all up, at least while they managed to stay awake.

The daily quizzes were good, managed to win a treasured p&o umbrella after many attempts. Also the 60's night was fun.

The staff were excellent and could not do enough for you plus the lounge areas and attrium were very pleasant. Missed having a separate coffe bar area as in Sea Princess though, still she is a different kind of ship.

This was my first cruise with p&o and I was very impressed with the quality of food, the eve meals were superb, I especially liked the idea of silver service, something which is gradually being phased out. We never tried the alternative grill room which carried a £7.50 cover as the food was so good in the Coral dining room. Also every day there was a theme in the Conservatory buffet dining area, ie Italian, sea food etc plus a chocaholics buffet one day which we passed on. The daily curries were superb also. Managed to put around 7 pounds on over the two weeks !

Afternoon teas of course were exceedingly good.

We had a promenade cabin which was great as it was out the door and a quick burst around the deck, 4 times = one mile. The cabins were fairly small but adequate and everywhere all over the ship there was someone varnishing, painting and generally touching up and even had the carpets in our corridor changed near the end, so the ship is well looked after despite being a little over the hill and I would heartily recommend her to anyone who wants a fairly quiet, relaxing laid back type of cruise.

Personally I will be looking again at RCI next year for a little more action.Navigator sails from Southampton, we will see. Most of the passengers I spoke to said they preferred the smaller ships and would never countenance these larger fun type ships, still each to their own.

Freedom of the seas was arriving at Southampton the day we disembarked and appeals to me though not some of the regular p&o cruisers.

Any queries will try and answer them.

• 1 month later...

Archived