Princess Photography

JessH

Actually, copyright protection does extend to photography even if it's your likeness. You may have a proprietary interest in the distribution of that likeness, but the photographer owns the copyright to the actual photo itself b/c he/she "created" it. And, yes, copying a movie or a TV is in violation of copyright laws, it's just not usually prosecuted unless there is a mass distribution.

What I believe you are referring to is what is commonly misunderstood as the "fair use doctrine." Many people mistakenly believe that this allows an individual to make copies of copyrighted material for protection. Acutally, the "fair use exception excludes from copyright restrictions certain works, such as those that criticize and comment on another work." 17 U.S.C. § 107. Thus, exact duplicates of copyrighted work such as those to which you are referring are not within the "fair use" exception.

Your analysis would suggest that you could copy multiple copies of computer programs and use them on all the computers you own, even if you own a business that operates 100 computers. Thus, under your analysis, you would have not engaged in distribution. Check your licenses afforded by the holder of the copyright for your computer programs, CDs, printed music, etc., that would be a violation of the copyright. That fact that that creator does not challenge your use, does not diminsh the infringement.

If you are admittedly not a practicioner in this area of the law, why are you offering fodder on the topic?

OK, can't stand it any longer! FTLOG, how and why do you type with the first letter of every word capitalized??? :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

All You Need Is A Digital Camera. Taking Pictures Of Pictures And Or Whatever Else Is Ones Choice. Call It What You May. We Took Several And They All Came Out Super Great. Same With Taking Pictures Of The Ship, Food, Entertainments, And All Else In General. All In All Over 600 Pictures Taken. The Pro's Pictures Are Expensive So Whats To Say About Saving A Few Dollars Here And There.

if someone takes a picture of a picture the photographer took of his/her family to show friends (presumably with the other vacation photos) what happened while they were on the cruise ship, i think it would constitute fair use. if recording television shows, to play for yourself later, is a crime, the company that makes tivo would have problems. singeresq; do you also believe it is illegal to take pictures of paintings at a museum? i assume by your comments that you are an attorney. do you practice exclusively in the area of intellectual property? if so, i suspect that if a client of yours was being sued by a cruise line for taking a picture of her family portrait, as it was sitting in a display shelf, (after you stopped laughing) you would have at least five good arguments why it did not constitute copyright infringement. i admit i am not a copyright attorney, per se. that does not mean i know nothing about the subject, or that i can not reply to the original post. indeed, at least in michigan, there is no special license requirement to practice intellectual property law, beyond being a member of the state/federal bar. i don't profess to be an "intellectual property lawyer", and frankly, if you are, i will defer to your superior knowledge on the subject. somehow though, i think you may be disagreeing just to disagree. one final thought; copyright laws vary from country to country. ships usually sail to several countries during a cruise. are all of those countries part of the berne convention?

Ai yi yi! I am amazed at the things people will do to save themselves some money! And they will justify it for a whole host of reasons. The one I love is, "the prices are far too high."

Singer, Esq. has fairly stated the law as it applies to the reproduction of a protected work (in this case, professional photographs). And even if it were not illegal, it certainly is unethical to photograph those photographs and to deprive the photographer of the value of his/her work.

So, please, don't embarrass yourself or the rest of your fellow cruisers by engaging in such conduct.

Once you purchase a photo, it's yours to do what you want with it. I photocopied some old cruise photos on my personal printer/copy machine that has the color feature. I wanted to make a collage (sp?) for my mom when she was in the hospital and the copies came out really, really well. I used a good quality photo paper. And, Princess does allow you to photocopy the photos once you purchase them.

JesH... When DH and I were on our first cruise for our honeymoon five years ago, we took a couple of pictures of our pictures. We had a new digital camera (which was pretty high tech five years ago ;) ) We had already purchased several of the professional prints that we really liked and figured, (after several margaritas), that we would try and see if taking pics of the pics would work. It did. It actually worked really well. So we bought the really good pics, and took pictures of the not so good ones that we wouldn't have purchased anyway. I remember being sloshy drunk and trying to be all "spy vs. spy" about it. LOL We thought we were sooooo slick and original!

I wouldn't do it today. We have the cash to spend, and I have grown into more of a "follow the rules" type of girl. But if you decide to do it, know that you aren't the first and won't be the last. And if you get a few dirty looks, its ok. I mean, it's not like you are letting your kid swim with a swim diaper on, or smoking in non designated smoking areas, or wearing jeans in the dining room on formal nights, or smoking a cigar on your balcony. I mean, THAT is serious stuff. :)

JesH... When DH and I were on our first cruise for our honeymoon five years ago, we took a couple of pictures of our pictures. We had a new digital camera (which was pretty high tech five years ago ;) ) We had already purchased several of the professional prints that we really liked and figured, (after several margaritas), that we would try and see if taking pics of the pics would work. It did. It actually worked really well. So we bought the really good pics, and took pictures of the not so good ones that we wouldn't have purchased anyway. I remember being sloshy drunk and trying to be all "spy vs. spy" about it. LOL We thought we were sooooo slick and original!

I wouldn't do it today. We have the cash to spend, and I have grown into more of a "follow the rules" type of girl. But if you decide to do it, know that you aren't the first and won't be the last. And if you get a few dirty looks, its ok. I mean, it's not like you are letting your kid swim with a swim diaper on, or smoking in non designated smoking areas, or wearing jeans in the dining room on formal nights, or smoking a cigar on your balcony. I mean, THAT is serious stuff. :)

Thanks!

Looking forward to meeting you in 2 weeks :)

Archived