HELP! Italy via land or sea?

HI all. Italy is one places my husband and I want to visit -- but I must be honest, mainly for the food and wine , rather than all the art and history...we rarely get tied up doing touristy things when we travel. We like to sit at a cafe, soaking up the local culture, or just wandering around and taking in the different ways of life. Having cruised the caribbean 3 times in the last 2 years -- I am sooo hooked. But that's a bit of a problem because in reading my Italy travel books, I'm BORED. Yet, when I think about a meditterean cruise, I can search for hours on end and feel excitement building. I found a 10 day on Celebrity (we don't have much time) -- and my question is --- will 10-12 hours in rome, livornio and naples be enough to suck up the flavor of Italy??? (The cruise also goes to 2 greek islands which would be a big plus) Any input would be SO appreciated!

Thanks all!:)

Zurich, We would really get along on a trip because my wife and I share your love for food and wine. We have been to Italy many times on both cruises (leaving on another cruise to Italy next week) and land. On land, we have driven extensively from the Northern boarders with France and Switzerland down to the Amalfi coast. To us, your question has a very easy answer. If you want to really experience Italy, its food, wine, culture, etc... do it on a land based trip and rent a car. The cruises are fun, but too many of the ports are far from the ultimate destinations and you need to be there in the evening for dinner and the atmosphere. Given what you posted, I think you need to plan a driving trip through Tuscany and Umbria,,where you will find delightful small towns, many vineyards, warm friendly people, etc etc. Walking through San Gimignano late at night, after all the tour groups are long gone, is one of the more romantic experiences in Italy. Its similar in many other Italian towns where you really need to be there in the evening. Do you think we love Italy (smile). Our solution is to take Med cruises and than spend pre or post cruise time in our favorite countries (Italy, Greece, and France). And yes, the Greek Islands are truly wonderful. Its such a big world with so many great travel choices.

Hank

IMHO I would say take the cruise....of course 10 to 12 hours in an Italian port is not enough,BUT you can always go back and do a land trip(like hank says) later on.This way you will get a taste of Italy as well as a couple of Greek Islands.We go to Italy re land trips and have been there (Rome)twice at the end of a cruise,and will probably being going back again soon.So cruise and enjoy,and then plan a great land trip....:D

zurich72 - We did the 10 day Celebrity cruise on Galaxy last year. Is that the one you are considering? Italy was wonderful. So was Greece (Santorini, Mykonos). I have no regrets as this was a wonderful itinerary and we hadn't been to Italy before so it was a great introduction. But it did leave us wanting to go back for a land trip. A lot of other passengers said the same thing.

Hank,

How is driving in Italy? Is the signage easy to understand if you don't speak Italian? Did you use a nav system?

Also, you mentioned San Gimignano. Can you recommend a good place to have lunch or dinner there?

Thanks

Chris

I'm not Hank. But I did rent a car at the Rome airport and drive to our villa near Orvieto (in Umbria) last year and drive throughout Umbria. The signage is not difficult to figure out - I speak no Italian (other than the polite phrases everyone should learn if visiting there) - and I got lost, which was/is half the fun if you're not on a tight schedule. I'd definitely do a land trip to soak up Italy (or anywhere else for that matter). We're taking our daughter on the 12-night Millie Med cruise as her graduation present because that will be fun for all of us, will give her (and us) a taste of places unseen (we've never been to Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Villefranche/Riviera, or Barcelona, and she's never seen ANY of them), and we only have to move into our room once.

But we WILL be back for a land vacation - maybe to Paris for a week and Provence, maybe another couple of weeks in Italy, maybe Scandinavia. But we also want to cruise more too - Alaska beckons, as might a river cruise in Russia.

KnoxvilleSam

Since you want to see Italy "mainly for the food and wine" a cruise, where you will do the majority of your eating and drinking on the ship doesn't seem like the best choice.

Remember that your "10-12 hours in rome" will be significantly less than that, as Rome isn't on the coast. " livornio" is generally seen as the gateway to Florence, also not on the coast. If you don't go to Venice, and spend some time in Tuscany, you won't really get the flavor of Italy.

I'd recommend a land vacation to Italy for you.

I found a 10 day on Celebrity (we don't have much time) -- and my question is --- will 10-12 hours in rome, livornio and naples be enough to suck up the flavor of Italy??? (The cruise also goes to 2 greek islands which would be a big plus) Any input would be SO appreciated!

Thanks all!:)

The problem with Rome and Livornio (Florence) is that the cruise ship will dock on the coast, away from Rome and Florence. It will be 1 1/2 hours to get to and back from each city....so sucking up the flavor will consist of lunch.

Naples....not a good city to visit....but rather a city to visit other places from....i.e. Capri....again lunch with the probable cruise schedule.

But the great thing about a cruise is the ability to visit many different places within a short amount of time. The Greek Island are worth the visit as well.....:)

How do you feel about sea days? If the 10-day Celebity cruise is the same one we (and LADCAD) did last year on the Galaxy, there are 3 sea days. That was actually why we chose it - 3 days in among those wonderful ports to rest, relax, and enjoy being at sea. If you think of sea days as taking time away from your favorite land-based activites, then this particular cruise might not be the best for you.

How do you feel about formal clothes, assigned dining times, the same dinner companions, all the rituals of traditional cruise dining? It's all quite different from what you would likely do if you were exploring Italy on your own.

If exploring local nightlife is important, then a cruise isn't the best idea. (Though the Galaxy's itinerary does include a couple late evenings in port.)

We loved our time on our Med cruise - Italy, Greece, and France on one trip. But there's no "right" way to see Europe, just different ways!

Have a wonderful vacation, whatever you choose.

Chris, I agree with Sam. We do not speak Italian, but the signage in Europe is International and very easy to follow. We have never had a rental in Italy with a GPS Nav system..but I guess it could be helpful. Driving in Italy is an experience because the Italians are absolutely crazy drivers. We always thought a 2 lane road in Italy had 3 lanes,,, the left, right, and the middle (for the motorcycles going both ways at once). But seriously, they are good drivers. The biggest problem is parking in some of the cities (just like the states). As to eating in San Gimignano, I really cannot remember the names of the restaurants where we have dined. But, when you walk down the main street, we have always liked a few of the cafe/restaurants on the right side (heading into town from the entrance) because some of them have wonderful views of the valley (out their back windows). Where you eat might be somewhat dictated by where you can find a table, because the city is usually pretty crowded.

Hank

I have to add my voice to all of those urging a land-based trip (as much as I have recently fallen in love with cruising).

If your goal is to savor the food, wine and general ambience, I don't think a cruise itinerary (no matter how awesome) can touch the unique and flexible nature of a trip that is not tied to a pre-determined itinerary.

So much of the magic of a spontaneous trip is in the quiet evening strolls after dinner through a town/village that only hours before was teeming with tourists...or early morning coffee in a bar with locals fortifying themselves to deal with the imminent onslaught...

Plus, so much of what is wonderful and memorable about Italy occurs at some remove away from the "tourist sites".

On the other hand, a cruise can offer a chance to sample several different regions, and if there is the possibility of a return visit, you can narrow down the places you would most like to linger in. If you do opt for the cruise, I would advise either doing things on your own, or choosing the more off the beaten track excursions to get closer to the Italy I think you are seeking.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's input. I got swept up in the cruise moment for a while (I'm sure you all know how that is)... I guess I just didn't want the hassle of driving or taking trains, and lugging baggage to different cities, but everyone's opinions of being in Italy at night and early am at a leisurly pace is really swaying me to go land based this time. Thanks so much -- now new research begins!

If you like the idea of "being taken care of" on a cruise, but want the land experience of Italy to savor the food and wine, try a "land tour".

We have used Globus on many trips: Europe, US, and Canada and have always been extremely pleased. (No, I don't work for Globus or its affiliates - just a satisfied customer.)

Unlike many other land tours, they include SOME tour and SOME meals, which we like. We still have independent time to see sights and dine on our own.

They have a couple "Leisure" itineraries for Italy; we did "Italy at Leisure" last year and thoroughly the combination of:

- meeting us at the airport

- luggage handling between hotels

- transportation to and from cities

- free time (but with a guide for information/suggestions/dinner reservations, etc.)

We are not big on renting vehicles in foreign countries. You have to know the laws of the road, what if you have an accident (can you speak the local language to the police), etc. We tried it a few times, and it is just not for us. However, some travelers love renting in foreign countries. We prefer trains, buses, subways in cities, etc.

Archived