Sun Review 4/1/06 - 4/8/06

:) :) We have just returned from the Sun (4/1/06-4/8/06) and are looking forward to planning our next trip.

Embarkation was a breeze. We were able to go through the Latitudes line. It was short and quick. We were in our room within minutes. Lunch was being served in the Garden Café (buffet) so we grabbed a quick bite to eat and sat out on the back of the ship. I can’t tell you much after that. I was feeling somewhat under the weather….missed the sail away party and the CC get together….and went back to our room and slept. When I woke up it was dark and we were out at sea. Room service came in handy that night.

Our stateroom was wonderful. Last year we had a superior inside stateroom which I found roomy, but this year we had a BA Balcony (0240 on the 10th deck). This was the best. We used room service every morning so we didn’t have to run out right away in the morning. DH loves his breakfast right away, so we ordered coffee, juice, fruit and some toast & pastries. This worked out great since I am an early riser. I was able to sit out on the balcony, drink coffee and read my book every day! We also ordered a picture of ice each morning and used this to fill up my water bottle. I recommend bringing some wide mouth plastic water bottles. You can use these for juice or water during the day.

Our room stewards were good. We had to make sure we had the do not disturb card in the door or they would knock pretty early to make up the room or to turn down the beds.

Although we had no complaints about the food, we did have our favorites; breakfast in the Seven Seas, waffles in Pacific Heights, Ginza, and Le Bistro. We had nice dinners in the two main dinning rooms. Some were better than others. After reading these boards I made sure we had reservations on Caribbean night. The menu for that night (Tuesday) did not look appealing.

Midway during the cruise the cruise staff started serving people in the buffet lines. This caused many complaints from people who weren’t getting their food fast enough.

The entertainment was good. Don’t miss Shark Bait!! They had us in stitches.

Our intent on this trip was to enjoy the beaches. Prior to going, we book all of our excursions though NCL on line. We have been happy with the ships excursions.

At Samana we took advantage of the Beach Escape. We didn’t get the package which included lunch etc. and were fine with that.

On Tortola we took the Best of Tortola excursion. This included a scenic ride to Cane Garden Bay Beach and lunch. The beach was pretty. My only complaint was that once we got to the beach everyone was trying to rent us a chair. Instead of paying $5.00 a piece for a beach chair, we went to a beach bar, ordered a couple of mighty fine daiquiris and enjoyed a swim and the beach. Lunch was very good.

At St. Thomas we hopped on a ferry to St. John’s. Loved this place very much and would love to go back there some day. The snorkeling was wonderful. There were many complaints about where the ship docked. We weren’t docked at the main dock and not walking distance from the shops. This was fine with DH……we definitely saved some money.

Great Stirrup Cay was beautiful. The snorkeling was wonderful and we were lucky enough to see the stingray. The barbeque was set up and the hamburgers were to die for!! It was my first hamburger since July so I am sure I am not the best judge but DH said they were good too.

Prior to the cruise I ordered a bar set up in our room. Rum for me and beer for DH. I believe this kept our bar bill down. I brought a few bottles of coke and purchased the soda card so I could make my drinks in the room. We also purchased the Romance Package for 79.00. This included a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, canapés, and cover charge for two at Le Bistro, a bottle of wine and 5.00 off of a photo.

I always expect to be bothered by the bar servers but again this time it did not happen. We could always catch a server’s eye if DH needed another beer. I tried to make a point to get my own sodas for two reasons, first it was good exercise for me and second I didn’t feel right about asking someone to get me a soda when I knew they weren’t going to get an extra tip from me.

All in all it was a great cruise. I am having a hard time thinking of anything I would have wanted differently. Maybe not having to hear other’s complaints as often. This is only our second cruise and the first one was on the Sun to the Western Caribbean last year so we really don’t have another ship or line to compare it to but we both felt that for the cost, we had a great time and came home well rested and relaxed.:) :)

Archived