London Hotels

skyboy

We will be traveling with our teenagers and would like to stay in a hotel close to the theaters, restaurants and shopping. Would that be the Mayfair or Covent Gardens area? Can anyone recommend any hotels that they have stayed at?

Both areas are reasonably convenient. Depends a lot on your budget!! Strand Palace is old - look up reviews on Tripadviser!! Marble Arch and Bayswater/Hyde Park can be OK - depends pretty much exactly where. Some dodgy areas!!!

Millenium in Grosvenor Square is an up-market hotel which is apparently giving fair deals - but in high season, probably not!!!!

When are you going? Look up on Tripadviser, look at reviews and go from there!!! If you are going in the summer - is air-conditioning a 'must'? If so, many hotels in UK DONT have a/c!!! So choose accordingly!!

We will be traveling with our teenagers and would like to stay in a hotel close to the theaters, restaurants and shopping. Would that be the Mayfair or Covent Gardens area?
Covent Garden is near the heart of theatreland. Restaurants are everywhere in London, although there are more in the Covent Garden area than in the Mayfair area. Mayfair may be better for some shopping, particularly the big department stores on Oxford Street, but much depends on what sort of shopping you have in mind.

We live right by the Cumberland. Is expensive - although you may well get a deal there!! Ultra ultra modern public areas - not everyone's cup of tea - but would probably please teenagers. All redone.

You need to decide your budget first!!! Then come back to this thread!!!

Thanks for your responses. We will be going in Mid July so you are right, a good ac is a must. We also want a room thats fairly quiet with comfortable beds. I did book at the Rubens awhile ago but just heard that the location may not be great if we want to be in the middle of things, shopping and restaurants just a fun place for the kids to walk around. Is that true??? If so I might try the Cumberland as I was able to get a room for around $200 a night. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your responses. We will be going in Mid July so you are right, a good ac is a must. We also want a room thats fairly quiet with comfortable beds. I did book at the Rubens awhile ago but just heard that the location may not be great if we want to be in the middle of things, shopping and restaurants just a fun place for the kids to walk around. Is that true??? If so I might try the Cumberland as I was able to get a room for around $200 a night. Any other suggestions?

If you got that rate at the Cumberland...go for it IMHO.The teens will have plenty to do and see.The hop/on bus is right across the street by Marble Arch,the tube is right next to hotel,there is all kinds of shopping and you can walk to a lot of sights,and plenty of places for all to eat.Good rate for July.

Thanks again. I did not book the Cumberland as yet because with that rate, I would lose too much if I had to cancel. My husband thinks we should stick with the Rubens. How far is it to walk from the Rubens to the area of the Cumberland? We will have to figure out where Madonna lives!!!

You probably wouldn't walk. The Rubens is in Victoria at the back of Buckingham Palace near the Royal Mews. There are buses and tubes to get you around London a short walk from your hotel. Many cruisers stay at the Rubens and appear satisfied. If you want good value, then you are probably going to have to sacrifice the most convenient locations!!

Does anyone know if the Renaissance is convieniently located???

We stayed at the Chancery court and it is within walking distance of the British Museum, hop on hop off bus, tube station and theaters.

it is a 5* hotel

Findlondonrooms.com and they will have a lot of listings all over London. Usually a better rate than booking direct with the hotel. Just check Tripadvisor.com to see what others have experienced with your choice. 3 of us stayed near Victoria Station for about 350.00 usd for 3 days. It included a full english breakfast as well. It wasn't the greatest, but charming and convenient to the Tube. Have a great time, we really loved our 3 days in London last year. Andros/Tony

We stayed at the City Inn Westminster last summer. Very modern, but clean and comfortable. It was right on a bus line and a short walking distance (5 mins) to the Tube. It was about a 15-20 minute walk to Victoria Station. We liked the accommodations and stayed there for 3 nights prior to our RCCL Baltic Cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

AndyM and TwoLadies:

Question about the Strand. I am going to date myself and the hotel, but we stayed there in 1985 and the room was not modern, but very big with a wonderful European bathroom (i.e heated floor, towel rack and old fashioned claw type bathtub) and it was clean and fine with us. What I really liked about the hotel was the great deal we got on the 6 nite seven day with breakfast and air fare for $450 pp. that we got!! But seriously, it is almost right across the street from the really fancy hotel which name leaves me at the moment.......the Savoy, that's it. The Strand, to me, is also in an ideal location for walking around and using the underground, etc. So is it really showing its age sorely? I mean what exactly does one mean by old? Also Andy, how long ago were you there? Thanks for your help.

Pooh

The rooms have recently been refurbished and our room was really nice. The location made it for us, we were there in January 06. Right around the corner from Covent Garden and theatre land. The london tour bus stops 100 yards up the road and the concierge got us a cheap deal on tickets.

Archived