Train Le Havre To Paris

BEAV

Our ship will be docked in Le Havre from 7:00am to 10:00pm.

Has anyone taken the train to Paris and back from Le Havre? We are thinking of doing this as opposed to ship-sponsored bus transporation.

If you've traveled by train between these two cities, were they punctual? Also, since it's only a two hour ride, is first class worth the extra fare ($180 vs $120 for two adults round trip) over booking 2nd class?

Is a 6:00pm departure from Paris arriving back in Le Havre at 8:00pm considered "safe" for a 10:00pm ship departure?

Although I have not taken the train from Paris to Le Havre, I did take it from Paris to Caen and return to Paris. This was in May 2003 during the transportation disruptions and we were lucky enough to be one of the few trains that was actually operating that day (it was a Saturday). Despite all the turmoil for passengers on other trains not operating, our train was right on time both departing and returning. We purchased our tickets prior to leaving for France and ended up paying quite a bit more for a "reserved" seat on the train (I guess as opposed to general admission?). The reserved seat turned out to be no different than any of the other seats in 2nd class and actually had someone sitting it in when I got on the train so I just picked any seat. The travel agent who sold us the tickets said the reserved fare would ensure us a passage on the train (I suppose rather than purchasing last minute at the train station and finding out the train is full).

As far as upgrading to first class, I would not bother for the short time you will be on the train although the first class compartments were roomier and quieter.

A co-worker has taken the exact route you are enquiring about and concurs with my comments. I hope this helps you somewhat.

Diane.

• 3 weeks later...

Schedules for Train from Le Havre to Paris

We're looking to take the train from Le Havre to Paris instead of the cruise ship tour. The time is only 2 hours each way versus 3.5 hrs for the tour bus plus I suspect considerably cheaper.

Does anyone know where I can look up the train schedules?

Thanks.

We're looking to take the train from Le Havre to Paris instead of the cruise ship tour. The time is only 2 hours each way versus 3.5 hrs for the tour bus plus I suspect considerably cheaper.

Try this:

http://www.sncf.com

(Click on the little British flag symbol in the bottom left-hand corner to get to the english language version of the site. It's often the case that in europe the english version of websites is indicated by the British flag symbol, not the Stars & Stripes.)

It looks as if you can do the trip really cheaply - just under 70 euros for two people. Travel out on the 10:12 and back just before 6pm. But don't forget that you've got to get from the ship to Le Havre station, and I have no idea how easy/difficult that will be.

Incidentally I have booked tickets from SNCF over the internet and had them sent to my home in the UK, and it all went without any problems.

Schedules for Train from Le Havre to Paris

Thanks.

We booked our tickets at www.raileurope.com. They are located in the US and will mail you the tickets before you leave.

Also, I would encourage you to book 1st class vs 2nd class. We just got back yesterday from our Le Havre-Paris train ride and are glad we bought 1st class tickets.

Archived