Rum Cakes

lbendick

IMHO Blackbeards rum cakes are far better than Tortuga.

Have brought both brands back to our card group several times for tasting and the majority of our friends here at home prefer Blackbeards over Tortuga.

Will be in Grand Cayman next month and our friends are already reminding us to bring back a load of Blackbeards!:D

Dianne

IMHO Blackbeards rum cakes are far better than Tortuga.

Have brought both brands back to our card group several times for tasting and the majority of our friends here at home prefer Blackbeards over Tortuga.

Will be in Grand Cayman next month and our friends are already reminding us to bring back a load of Blackbeards!:D

Dianne

What store or stores offer Blackbeard's rum cakes?? I tried Tortuga's but was never impressed by them. Leaving on April 30th on the Miracle. I want to purchace two large rum cakes to share with some of my co-workers.

I've found Blackbeard's cakes sold in a few souvenir stores in Georgetown, but most often purchase them from a Blackbeard's kiosk located in the shopping plaza across the street from the tender pier.

Have never seen Blackbeard's sold on the ships since Tortuga has the ship market sewn up. Just about every ship that sails the Caribbean (or even Mex. Riviera) carries Tortuga rum cakes.

Last time I purchased Blackbeard's they were still a bit cheaper than Tortuga. They come in large, medium and individual sizes just like Tortuga.

The kiosk in the shopping mall had free samples of the various flavors of Blackbeard's so you can taste test them. Word of warning though, once you start sampling, it's hard to decide which ones you want as there are so many delicious flavors to chose from.:D

Dianne

We bought some rum cakes at the turtle farm. They were hurricane flavor (chocolate & vanilla swirl), and they were really good. The box says "Hook" on the front. I have one in the freezer, so I'll take a look and see if it has any more information on it.

Looking forward to any info you have from that rum cake box. Will be in Grand Cayman in about 3 weeks and love to bring back new and interesting rum cakes to our friends.

While our friends love Blackbeard's, we brought back one medium sized rum cake from Barbados, Calipso Bakeries, Ltd. Company is family owned, purchased the cake in the duty free mall at the port. It was really, really good. Super. Our friends want more of those too.

Have purchased rum cakes in every port we've traveled in the Caribbean, and we've traveled through quite a few. Bacardi cakes in Puerto Rico are good but have a very strong rum flavor.

Dianne

I've found Blackbeard's cakes sold in a few souvenir stores in Georgetown, but most often purchase them from a Blackbeard's kiosk located in the shopping plaza across the street from the tender pier.

Have never seen Blackbeard's sold on the ships since Tortuga has the ship market sewn up. Just about every ship that sails the Caribbean (or even Mex. Riviera) carries Tortuga rum cakes.

Last time I purchased Blackbeard's they were still a bit cheaper than Tortuga. They come in large, medium and individual sizes just like Tortuga.

The kiosk in the shopping mall had free samples of the various flavors of Blackbeard's so you can taste test them. Word of warning though, once you start sampling, it's hard to decide which ones you want as there are so many delicious flavors to chose from.:D

Dianne

Thanks for the quick reply!! I'm printing this to place in my folder. Every Wednesday night on my job, one of the supervisors brings homemade ice cream and cake to work (this is for all the employees that stay to cover for late flights) for the employees to eat after we completed our work and clock out. With the exception on one, none of my co-workers been on a cruise. I want to bring some rum cake back. I agree with you with Tortuga's rum cake, it's on every ship I ever sailed on. I love Bacardi rum cake, but you are out of luck if your ship don't visit the Bahamas. I shipped four Bacardi cake to the states a few years ago and the price was :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

I can't wait to sample Blackbeard's! I will return and give a review :D !!

Fascination 2001

Columbia (Alaskan State Ferry) 2003

Oosterdam 2004

Westerdam 2005

Miracle April 2006

Westerdam fall 2006 ???

Maasdam 2007

Looking forward to any info you have from that rum cake box. Will be in Grand Cayman in about 3 weeks and love to bring back new and interesting rum cakes to our friends.

While our friends love Blackbeard's, we brought back one medium sized rum cake from Barbados, Calipso Bakeries, Ltd. Company is family owned, purchased the cake in the duty free mall at the port. It was really, really good. Super. Our friends want more of those too.

Have purchased rum cakes in every port we've traveled in the Caribbean, and we've traveled through quite a few. Bacardi cakes in Puerto Rico are good but have a very strong rum flavor.

Dianne

The box has a picture of the "eye" of a hurricane on the top. It also says Hook's Rum Cake (Cayman Islands), "Hurrucane Flavor."

Here's their website...

http://www.rumcakes.com

or toll free...1-866-947-2253

Now that I think about these, we bought small ones at the turtle farm, then we ate those (we were there for a week). I found larger ones at the airport. I don't remember if the turtle farm had the larger ones. I also don't remember if they had any other flavors. We just enjoyed this because we all love chocolate and vanilla, and the swirl was nice.

I'm going to add your info about the rum cakes to my "travel" list. :)

Clicked on the website you posted and search came up ``Blackbeard's.'' Assume it is the same company however company was selling rum cakes under a special commemorative label post hurricane.

Got to stop posting on this thread. My mouth is starting to drool remembering the taste of the company's pina colada cake. Love the chocolate too - and about every other flavor they produce.

Dianne

Clicked on the website you posted and search came up ``Blackbeard's.'' Assume it is the same company however company was selling rum cakes under a special commemorative label post hurricane.

Got to stop posting on this thread. My mouth is starting to drool remembering the taste of the company's pina colada cake. Love the chocolate too - and about every other flavor they produce.

Dianne

I didn't even notice that. I'll bet you're right about the commemorative label. I couldn't figure out why I didn't see any other flavor but the Hurricane. Well, that explains it!

It took a lot of willpower to toss that cake back in the freezer! I want to make sure and open the thing when I have all my kids and hubby around. It's too tempting to be "home alone" with a rum cake.... :)

Archived