Digital camera & "The Baths"??????

alrose251

We will be visiting "The Baths" in one week and just can't wait. The pictures I have seen are beautiful. We want to bring our digital camera, but are unsure if it will get wet.

Can you safely bring a digital camera? I don't plan on swimming, but want to know if you are exploring the area is it necessary to go completely underwater to get to another area?

We will be visiting "The Baths" in one week and just can't wait. The pictures I have seen are beautiful. We want to bring our digital camera, but are unsure if it will get wet.

Can you safely bring a digital camera? I don't plan on swimming, but want to know if you are exploring the area is it necessary to go completely underwater to get to another area?

Yes you can safely bring a digital camera. The water in the Baths themselves is never more than knee deep - so as long as you are careful and don't drop it, you will be fine.

The above being said....BE CAREFUL!

I had my digital camera in an underwater housing to be safe. A couple walking though the "Devil's Trail" were using their camcorder to record the walk. A wave broke on the front of the rocks and the tide swelled in the "knee deep" pool we were traversing. The guy with the camcorder lost his balance and "SPLASH" into the water went the camcorder! Just to be safe, keep the camera in a zip-lock bag when you are not taking photos and keep the strap around your wrist when you are!

The above being said....BE CAREFUL!

I had my digital camera in an underwater housing to be safe. A couple walking though the "Devil's Trail" were using their camcorder to record the walk. A wave broke on the front of the rocks and the tide swelled in the "knee deep" pool we were traversing. The guy with the camcorder lost his balance and "SPLASH" into the water went the camcorder! Just to be safe, keep the camera in a zip-lock bag when you are not taking photos and keep the strap around your wrist when you are!

Yuck what bad luck! I have been to The Baths several times and never experienced a swell that would knock me off my feet (ripples at most) BUT I was also concentrating on getting my awkward bad, knee'ed self through The Baths and not making a movie of the experience. I guess the lesson is keep a good grip on your camera, be aware of your balance and when not in use keep your camera in something at least water resistant. BTW many people do take cameras of all types through The Baths - So I guess as long as you are careful, you will be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

alrose251 - I know this won't help you, as you must be home now from your adventure (hope you had a great time!), but just wanted to provide a suggestion for anyone else reading this thread...

I've been looking into an Aquapac (available at http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html) - they are basically a waterproof bag you put your camera in to take photos (underwater or near water, where you may be concerned about it falling in). They cost anywhere from $30-$120 depending on the size of your camera.

There is a thread about them which might be of interst here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=341405&highlight=aquapac

:)

I have an aquapac and it works great. I bought mine at a local Boaters World store, paid $30 for it. I am looking to purchase a camcorder and will buy a aquapac for it too. I actually found out about the aqua pac on these boards. Laura

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in the market for a new digital camera, you might want to consider a Pentex WPI it is waterproof up to 5m. It is very small, slides into a pocket, has all the features of most digitals. After a day at the beach I rinse it under tap water and best of all it takes great pictures.

The most fun is when others see it getting wet they panic.

• 1 month later...

FYI with the plastic bag. In Puerto Rico I was on the shore line taking a picture of my son. Went to put the digital in the plasitic bag.....It came right out the other end (hole) and into the water! Needles to say I have a new digital, an aquatic pac, plus the waterproof casing (works in 130 ft deep)!

Archived