Stinker Travel Agent

carolemom3

Help! I'm not happy with my TA. We have just booked 5 balcony rooms on Royal Caribbean. When I asked about any "freebies" I was told the only thing he's giving out was the "great group rate and great location" of the 5 cabins together. When I mentioned we would be celebrating my mom's 79th birthday and wasn't there something he could do for that, he told me we could order a cake for her in the Main dining room for $6. :mad: I would have thought that booking 5 cabins at once would get us something...coupon book, etc.

I know we're very lucky to have 5 cabins together and I'm grateful, but he's a stinker and I know another TA who will go all out for us, she just couldn't get us the reservation we wanted. I haven't called her yet to ask about the situation, thought I'd ask here first. Does anyone know if I can cancel my reservation and rebook with the other TA without losing the awesome cabins? Any advice would be appreciated!

Royal Caribbean 11/12/06

To receive the special amenities for groups, the minimum number of cabins that need to be booked is 8 at double occupancy. The 16th passenger would then go free, but is still responsible for port charges and taxes. I am not aware that you would have to pay for a birthday cake on board. The cruise usually gives them at dinner if requested in advance. I really don't see where your travel agent isnot being fair to you. You mentioned that the first one could not even get the cruise you wanted?

Before you do anything else, check to see what rate another TA could get you. Then, if it is the same rate, make sure you would be able to transfer the booking to another TA. From what I understand, sometimes a TA can keep a hold on the cabins, so a person cannot just move their reservation. You may be able to transfer the booking directly to RCI, but they will not give you any freebies either, nor will they give you a free birthday cake. The coupon books are standard for repeat customers or given away by TAs, if they get them free from RCI.

It's popular on these boards to trash TAs sometimes and unless they have done something simply horrid, such as totally mess up your ressie or ignore you completely. I don't think your TA has done anything too awful. Perks for groups usually don't start happening until 8 or more cabins are booked. Sometimes, for a smaller group, such as yours, the perks would have to come directly out of the TAs pocket. If they have heavily discounted your cruise, they have already given back to you part of their commission.

I'd wait a bit, cool down and revisit the issue later. It sounds as if you are just having a personality clash. Many times you will not know of any freebies until you are onboard and the TA surprises you with them.

Finally, the $6 charge for the birthday cake is standard. They started charging for cake because so many people were lying that it was their birthday to get free cake. Very confusing to me, as dessert is included with dinner every night, most of it far more appealing than cake. If your wait staff knows it is her birthday, they will treat her very special :) !

I wanted to add, a few years ago I tried to "shop" price after I had booked a cruise. The TA I talked to would not give me a price once she knew I was already booked with another TA. I learned that it's just not fair for you to allow a TA to do a bunch of legwork for you, then cancel out just because of a small price drop, or in your case, perks that would not amount to much.

It's called professional courtesy.

what I don't get is the assumption that you deserve some sort of freebie. Fishing for free cake seems tacky to me, like you were too cheap to spring for the six bucks.

Bottom line is, NOBODY deserves anything above and beyond what they pay for. To expect otherwise smacks of entitlement.

The time to ask for perks is BEFORE you book. I think the TA's response might have been a littly snarky, but it was honest. If the other TA can't get you the same reservation, then it appears to me that the one you're using is giving you a good deal.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't stress out over a $6 cake (but do order the chocolate one - they're divine and just as good as any of the desserts they serve)!

Thanks everyone for putting things into perspective. The other TA was offering all kinds of "extras" and then what put me over the edge was hearing from a fellow passenger in "roll call" who is getting shipboard credit in Portofino, champagne in their room, etc. I truly am grateful to be with my whole family and not be scattered throughout the ship. I'll leave it alone and focus on the fun we'll have.

carolemom3, The person on your roll call may have a different situation altogether than you. They may be paying a much higher price than you (Cardinal rule, never discuss what you paid :rolleyes: ). They may have booked several times with the TA and are being rewarded for repeat business. They may have given the TA referrals. They may be repeat RCI cruisers, you do get perks for loyalty with RCI.

I know I'd rather pay a deeper discounted price than get a "free" bottle of wine, I'll select my own wine to drink, the one time we did get a freebie, it was white zin, what we call pretend wine.

An agent once told me that you pay for everything, one way or another. Many times I've read on these boards where a person isn't able to use a booking coupon, because they have already paid the discounted rate.

You're right, put this behind you, have a great time and focus on what is important in life. That would be the people you're with, not cakes or coupons.

In reading other posts from this poster, there was more explanation for this situation.

"As of yesterday morning this TA had at least 10 balconies left that he had reserved as a group (Customer Appreciation cruise). He responded to a bid request that I had made using an online service. At some point I know he has to release the cabins if they are not sold but I'm not sure the exact date. And I'd sure love some freebies! "

He responded to her bid request, which does make this situation totally different than just booking through an agency.

Help! I'm not happy with my TA. We have just booked 5 balcony rooms on Royal Caribbean. When I asked about any "freebies" I was told the only thing he's giving out was the "great group rate and great location" of the 5 cabins together. When I mentioned we would be celebrating my mom's 79th birthday and wasn't there something he could do for that, he told me we could order a cake for her in the Main dining room for $6. : !

Royal Caribbean 11/12/06

I believe the times of the freebies is gone..I hardly ever get or expect anything. Haven't the commissions been reduced to almost nothing for the travel agents?

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who came to the defense of this TA! So many times on boards like these TA's are attacked, some for good reason others for reasons like this. Not often do you find so many people who are will to defend an agent they don't even know. Yes some agents do give added perks if they are able to depending on the commission amount but if the cruise has a really good rate it is not always possible. This is especially true on the shorter cruises. When the commission for 2 people amounts to a whole $24.00 on a 4 night RCI there is only so much we can do.

Once again thank you so much

Alicia

Archived