TA please keep your opinions to yourself on a cruise unless asked !

blyle

In my past experience - there are an awful lot of agents who take advantage of reduced rates. Agents that pay full price are far and few between. And she is right - those that do get reduced rates are usually the ones that squawk the loudest.

In my experience, the "agents" that take advantage of reduced rates are usually not real travel agents. They are among those who pay $495 for travel agent ID cards so they can "get deals" and sell little or no travel. There are many "travel agents" who are nothing more than referral agents that could not sell a heater to an eskimo. They are the ones that brag how much they paid.

When I, and just about every other TA that I know, travel, we usually don't want others to know that we are travel agents.

Part of the "fun" cruise experience is meeting and talking to people at meals. We had three UNHAPPY ladies on our last cruise at dinner. After TWO night of listening to them complain about the food, and badgering the waiter and bus boy (after I TOLD them they were scaring the bus boy) we asked to be moved. It was my daughters first cruise and I wanted her realize dinner could be FUN!

After reading the OP comment, I hope for their sake, that i never run into a crabby TA. How Rude !!! I personally don't like usinging a TA. Why pay someone else for a job you can do just as well yourself? Thats why i liked using the CVP, they get a "commision", but it is off what they sell. They dont add this and that like agencies to.

I hope that OP had a great time on their vacation regardless of p**s poor tactics displayed by the TA

My question is: why would they do that on the last day when no one asked for their opinion.

Because perhaps they didn't have a good cruise, and were disappointed with the ship or service or whatever. Chances are they didn't wait unti the last day to express their disappointment, that's just when you happened to hear about it.

Haven't any of us ever expressed a negative opinion without being asked first ? I know I have...

In my experience, the "agents" that take advantage of reduced rates are usually not real travel agents. They are among those who pay $495 for travel agent ID cards so they can "get deals" and sell little or no travel. There are many "travel agents" who are nothing more than referral agents that could not sell a heater to an eskimo. They are the ones that brag how much they paid.

When I, and just about every other TA that I know, travel, we usually don't want others to know that we are travel agents.

Are you kidding? Do the card mill agents REALLY get reduced rates on anything? It's been awhile since I have been in the industry - but when I left they were cracking down on the card mills and what was offered to the fake agents.

I think you are right -they are the ones that brag - and hand out business cards and don't have a clue how to behave themselves. They always have given TAs a bad name.

You are so right. When I was in the Hotel industry the card carriers would gripe and complain about us not giving them a discount, complain about not getting a good room, and not getting any "perks". They wanted everything for free. Then if you checked their % of bookings/revenue brought in it was usually zero. The "real working" agents were great ! You could always tell the difference in the professionalism. I think TA's do a great job promoting business for Hotels & Cruise Companies .... just a few bad apples ruin it and unfoturnately can give them all a bad name.

Been in the travel business since 1972. Can count how many 'free' trips I've taken. Just off the Glory, never mentioned to ANYONE what I do for a living...and I can show you MY INVOICE...NO DISCOUNT!

Reduced rates for cruises are getting less and less. When available, they are pretty close to the sailing date. So if your close to a port, and have job flexability, they work. If you have to fly...well not always a bargain.

When you come into my office AND ask my opinion, you will get a fair comparison. AHHHH if we could just take this from CCL, that from RCCL, a little from Princess, a smidge form NCL, a bit from Celebrity, some magic from Disney....put it all together....THAT would be a CRUISELINE:D

As a former TA....with parents who are still TA's....I can't believe what happened to the OP.

Zebster is right....you should travel and no one should be the wiser as to who you are. If it gets brought up in conv...that is one thing...but don't push yourself on people!

My parents traveled Carnival once...many moons ago...and were very disappointed. Didn't stop them from sending people on Carnival cruises! And here we are....almost 20 years later going on another one...because we had so many happy clients we thought we would give it another go.

Those people at lunch had no right to say what they did.

This post is about what we experienced on the last day of a fabulous cruise. We were having lovely conversation until the husband and wife TAs were seated.

It only took them 2 minutes to introduce themselves and tell us they were TA's. They proceeded to pick apart everything

My question is: why would they do that on the last day when no one asked for their opinion. They just would not stop.!!!

Some people just like the sound of their own voice.

Everytime I try to open the first page, I get an explorer error. I have no idea what this whole post is about, but I wish I did! Any ideas? (besides trying at home?)
I think someone might be using a Java script in their signature on that page. There are some signatures that would cause IE to lock up on me. One sign is if the Java icon opens up in your task bar. Turning off the signatures cleared it up for me when I was using IE, and this was the only site where I had that problem. I don't seem to have that problem with Firefox.

Here is a thread that talks about some of the problems:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=327690

John

ITurning off the signatures cleared it up for me

Worked for me too! Thanks. I know there are other threads that talk about the computer stuff, but this was the only thread I was having problems with, and then only on page one.

But, having now looked at the page, I'm not sure I'm better off. I cannot stand people that have to complain about everything.

RoodDood- I think I would have had to send them a bucket of it!

Hi Rypero,

Yes that was a fine cruise we all had! Really enjoyed meeting both of you! The TA's A & G did not ruin my cruise just made me angry! It's hilarious that they also did the same thing to someone else on this thread!

...because I am the RoodDood, I would have asked the waiter to please bring to extra tall glasses of "Shut the Hell UP" and serve it to them...

Oh My God you crack me up !!! That is too funny !!

After reading the OP comment, I hope for their sake, that i never run into a crabby TA. How Rude !!! I personally don't like usinging a TA. Why pay someone else for a job you can do just as well yourself? Thats why i liked using the CVP, they get a "commision", but it is off what they sell. They dont add this and that like agencies to.

I hope that OP had a great time on their vacation regardless of p**s poor tactics displayed by the TA

Hmmm, my travel agent doesn't charge anything extra...she also gets paid by the suppliers not by clients...maybe some TA's have poor practices, but mine doesn't and is available 7 days a week.

• 4 months later...
Hmmm, my travel agent doesn't charge anything extra...she also gets paid by the suppliers not by clients...maybe some TA's have poor practices, but mine doesn't and is available 7 days a week.

You are your own travel agent and you have poor practises!

People can choose to speak on any topic. I understand its frustrating but just because it is different than what you believe it does not make it wrong.

If my party was at a lunch table where a couple like that had arrived I would get the head waiter or whomever was in charge over to the table and ask for all of us to be moved.

They were not speaking they were standing (well sitting) on a soap box and venting thier spleen.

I for one do not go on a vacation for that!

How true,here in the land of retirees,many seniors pay a fee of $179.00 per year to a local card mill and now become a so called TA. I attend Trade shows with these so called agents,they are the first ones at the buffet lines and open bar that the suppliers are paying for. They are mad when they don't win a free trip or gift that is being raffled off. I have talked to a few of these wannabees,they don't like this cruise line and hate that tour company,most of them are in it for the few remaining percs that are left. As Joe stated, I book my cruise just like everyone else, as I need to schedule my time off, and not leave my office for a last minute cruise or vacation. Think about who are the ones that can cruise last minute,retired wannabees. The cruise lines have rules against TA's solicting business onboard,you need to make a complaint to Carnival

I couldn't agree with you more. While I could wait till the last minute and see if any "TA rates" become available, I have found it more cost-effective to book our cruises using my husband's prior military service, for the military discount. Plus, we can book well in advance and pick our cabin.

While on a cruise, I try to avoid the topic of my profession. In the past, if other passengers have found out, I find myself being nothing more than an information dispenser. While I love my job, when I am on vacation, it is just that, a vacation.

Why is it that a few rotten apples (or rotten TA's) have to tarnish the reputation of the rest of the industry? :(

Archived