Wellwishers....No More

oooohDonna

My friend just called them to have a case of beer delivered for our cruise on Conquest, Sunday April 23. Wellwishers told her Carnival sent them a letter stating they will no longer accept liquor/beer deliveries from them as it takes away from their (Carnival) revenue. So, they will NOT do it for her.

So, guess we are looking at paying $4.50 a beer for the 16 ouncers?

Is that the cost? Whew :eek: Would have been nice to save just alittle money in that department, but guess it's not going to happen.

My friend just called them to have a case of beer delivered for our cruise on Conquest, Sunday April 23. Wellwishers told her Carnival sent them a letter stating they will no longer accept liquor/beer deliveries from them as it takes away from their (Carnival) revenue. So, they will NOT do it for her.

Is that the cost? Whew :eek: Would have been nice to save just alittle money in that department, but guess it's not going to happen.

We had some wine delivered in our room from a friend? Thats news to me.

your friend can also purchase free drink tickets for you. Our TA purchaed the tickets for us on line and they were delivered to our cabin on the first morning. Our cruise was March 12, 2006 on the Liberty

They just stopped doing it. They told her anyone that ordered before today, or whenever they got the letter, they did, but no more.

I guess CC people upped their sales alot and Carnival didn't like it.. oh well ..

I wondered how long Carnival would allow that - I was amazed that they allowed it in the first place! If Carnival was smart, they would match the price of Wellwishers and let people pre-order from them! I bet most people would stop smuggling booze if they could get it reasonably priced!

I wondered how long Carnival would allow that - I was amazed that they allowed it in the first place! If Carnival was smart, they would match the price of Wellwishers and let people pre-order from them! I bet most people would stop smuggling booze if they could get it reasonably priced!

Carnival's pre-order pricing didn't seem THAT much higher than Wellwishers... then again, I hadn't priced Wellwishers in a while and they used to be high... Carnival's pricing isn't that unreasonable, not compared to a hotel at least, LOL!!

I just talked to Just for you (800-882-9707) this afternoon about having a couple of cases shipped to the Fascination May 15 and they didn't say anything about that yet. Maybe they haven't received the letter yet so you may want to tell your friend to try and call them and see if she has any luck. Hope this helps.

LMAO, I would check their policy as to what happens if it is refused... having a few cases delivered, might raise a red flag :p I know that at one time, Wellwishers was the only company that seemed to be getting past Carnival... I'd double check and get the policy in writing

Just back from the April 1 Liberty sailing. My group (22 cabins used Wellwishers for several cases beer (1 per cabin and soda ) and a few even ordered spirits.

All were received. Funniest thing is the beer was wrapped in white birthday paper with ribbon and all.

It was much cheaper than the 4.50 PER beer price I was quoted by CCL.

While I can understand Carnival wanting to not lose a profit from people ordering things through Bon Voyage, I would think that this could cause a Monopoly situation. I wonder if the city of Miami (or the state of Florida) could put some pressure on Carnival to not block companies from making deliveries if it's what the passenger wants.

This would be analogous of Bill Gates making his own Anti-Virus software and then making all new versions of Windows no longer allow the install of any other anti-virus software. How long do you think he would be able to get away with that before there were major lawsuits? Now, granted, that is a rather extreme analogy, but you could consider this as Carnival taking away Wellwisher's livelyhood. How long has Wellwishers been in business? I wonder if they could sue Carnival from doing this?

Undrhil

I wonder if they could sue Carnival from doing this?

In a word, no. Carnival has the absolute right to say what may and may not be delivered to their ships.

This would be analogous to you attempting to sue your local pub for prohibiting you from bringing in your own beverages. :rolleyes:

Build a bridge, get over it.

Hmmm. Let's see. Carnival lets you bring wine on board. They sell it. They let wellwishers deliver it. Wellwishers gets a bright idea and delivers beer due to the scalping CCL does on board. CCL complains and makes them stop. And they wonder why people smuggle.

I remember something in business - you can sell a few items for a large profit or a lot of items for a smaller profit. Who wins? Let's see. The pizza joint I worked for first in college did the latter. He now has like 20 stores. The second place I worked charged a higher price to cover their costs since sales were slow. He is now bankrupt. Both had a pretty decent product. Look at Walmart - they sell a ton for a small profit and they make more $$ than they know what to do with.

CCL has options - make prices more reasonable and cheap people like me will drink at the bar and not smuggle. Make better Bon Voyage packages and people like me might order just to be legit. Make a partnership with places like Wellwishers for a % of the total and then get at least something out of it. Instead, it looks like they're closing all options like that. Guess I might smuggle and then spend my $$ on drinks in the port where they're half the price (or less) than on the ship!

I ordered from Wellwishers a month ago. Guess we'll see in about 2 weeks if they're there. For those with the rude comments about smuggling or ordering from another company....I am on vacation. The ship is my home for a week. I am not going out to a local bar where I will have to pay high drink prices. I want to be able to have a few drinks in my cabin when I want to. I will not be carrying them into one of the lounges. When we go out at nite we will order drinks from the bar. Why does it bother you if I have drinks in my cabin? I have paid for the cabin and want to enjoy a few drinks on my balcony. I agree that if CCL would have them at a better price for the bon voyage package people would not smuggle. Now you go build a bridge and get over it :D

On NCL, you can order a "bar setup" for your cabin with a bottle of liquor. They don't advertise it very much, but it's there. I believe that the cost is in the 40 to 50 dollar range, depending on the type of liquor ordered. That's probably in the same range as the Wellwishers price. I don't know if you can order beer though.

Does CCL offer a similar service, or is it just the drink tickets?

Gypsyrose,

My sentiments exactly, if we want to stock beer to drink in our cabin, however it gets there :rolleyes: who should care.

Wellwishers is taking care of the people who ordered before they got the letter from Carnival, apparently. So I would say you are ok if you got your order placed before they got the letter or they would have told you, I think.

I think those beer prices are just out of line too. If you drink say 10 beers throughout the day/night, you are looking at $50, for BEER. Thank goodness my husband doesn't drink :D

If you order beer through Carnival, no price break, cost the same as if buying individually on the cruise.

Hmmm. Let's see. Carnival lets you bring wine on board. They sell it. They let wellwishers deliver it. Wellwishers gets a bright idea and delivers beer due to the scalping CCL does on board. CCL complains and makes them stop. And they wonder why people smuggle.

I remember something in business - you can sell a few items for a large profit or a lot of items for a smaller profit. Who wins? Let's see. The pizza joint I worked for first in college did the latter. He now has like 20 stores. The second place I worked charged a higher price to cover their costs since sales were slow. He is now bankrupt. Both had a pretty decent product. Look at Walmart - they sell a ton for a small profit and they make more $$ than they know what to do with.

CCL has options - make prices more reasonable and cheap people like me will drink at the bar and not smuggle. Make better Bon Voyage packages and people like me might order just to be legit. Make a partnership with places like Wellwishers for a % of the total and then get at least something out of it. Instead, it looks like they're closing all options like that. Guess I might smuggle and then spend my $$ on drinks in the port where they're half the price (or less) than on the ship!

So, since most restaurants and bars (okay, most DECENT restaurants and bars) have similar pricing, people should have their own liquor and beer delivered there, and the establishment owners should just deal with it right??? I just don't understand why people think the drink prices are SOOOOO high on the ship.... do you people get out at all???? :confused: The beer is really not that expensive on the ship... Believe me, after the prices I paid last week for beer, I was longing for Carnival's prices :D

We go out every week-end and the highest we usually pay for beer is $3.75. I understand that I will have to pay $4.50 for beer in the lounge. I know that going into it and will do that when we go to the bars every nite. I do NOT want to pay that much for beer to keep in my "home away from home". At home, I go to the grocery store and pay reasonable prices for beer to drink in my home. I do NOT carry them with me when I go to bars or restaurants. When I go out to eat I pay whatever price they have on beer. I should be able to do the same on a cruise. When I am in my cabin I should be able to have a few drinks at a decent price. $4.50 is not decent IMO.

I'm from NC, however... I travel extensively and have never found the prices on the ship out of line with what I would pay at any hotel around the country... Paid $5 for beers last week in Montreal, $10 for a mixed drink... Have paid the exact same price for beers in DALLAS, at the Omni. In NYC, at many of the bars, the exact same price... same as Chicago, Boston, Miami, etc. Go to any decent hotel and the prices are just not that bad. It's the hospitality industry, not just Carnival... And the prices are exactly the same and higher on RCL... so it's not just a Carnival thing. It's an industry thing... Buy a bucket and save a few bucks :D

So, are the people that are so outraged about the price of beer on the ship, going to stop cruising now that Carnival is tightening up on letting 3rd party companies deliver and on smuggling?? What is your solution??

I wonder if the cruiselines are anticipating erosion of profit margins due to the increases in oil prices forecasted for the summer. They may have a suggestion box or brainstorming sessions on how to keep their passengers' money from going elsewhere, whether to independent tour operators, for gift baskets-liquor deliveries, etc. The increases in fuel prices have to be tough on transportation businesses, especially when many passengers lock in their tickets so far in advance. And cruise passengers still expect big discounts and sales off list prices, prime rib & lobster nights, good entertainment, etc. We may see more changes...

Archived