Caribbean Princess August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise

Vol Navy

We are cruising on the Caribbean Princess August 19, 2006 CC group cruise. We will be celebrating our anniversary and our best friends are going with us to celebrate their anniversary. Our friends DW is thinking of inviting her parents to come, but her mother is in a wheelchair. They would like to have a balcony stateroom. Are there any balcony staterooms that are wheelchair accessible on this ship? Also, will they be able to do anything ashore or will they have to stay on the ship because of the mother being in the wheelchair?

Look on the Princess website at the deck plans for your ship. You can tell which cabins have a balcony, as well as those that are wheelchair accessible. Does she use the chair full time or only for distances? If she can actually stand and walk short distances, she may not need an accessible cabin. If not, try to get one, but I would caution you that these sell out very early and you may be too late to get one at this time.

No reason she (or anyone in your party) needs to stay on the ship in port. You won't find wheelchair accessible ship's tours, but if she can stand up and transfer to a cab, this is a good way to see things. In some ports you can push right to shops or beaches from the pier. If you have a tender port, the captain has the final say on whether or not wheelchair passengers can tender ashore. If it is rough, don't dispute this decision, as it can be unsafe. Keep a back-up plan for those days...it is not bad to stay on board sometimes and just enjoy the pool and maybe a movie. Depending on the mother, you can also feel comfortable leaving her on the ship if needed. We often leave my mother for 4-6 hours is she doesn't want to go ashore, or if we want to snorkel or something like that. She can get around the ship in her power wheelchair, and the crew is usually quite helpful in getting her drinks or helping her with a lunch tray. Sometimes she just sits and talks with other people who have stayed aboard. I have also surprised her with a gift of a manicure, etc. in the spa when we do this.

Vol Navy, the Caribbean does have balcony wheelchair accessible staterooms. There are a total of 16, with four in each balcony category. Unfortunately there are no wheelchair accessible suites or minisuites. But the balcony wheelchair accessible staterooms are nice.

We're cruising on the August 19, 2006 CC group cruise on the Caribbean Princess and have a balcony wheelchair accessible stateroom. I checked and as of today, there still some wheelchair accessible balcony staterooms available, as well as some wheelchair accessible staterooms in the outside and inside categories.

The Caribbean Princess is fairly new ship, only built in 2004, so we found it to be very accessible when we were on it before and everyone was so helpful. So if your friend wants to bring the mother along this would be a great ship to do it.

Splinter gave you some good advice regarding port days. but this is a wonderful itinerary for disabled, as the ship is scheduled to dock in St. Martin and St. Thomas so you don't have to worry about tendering except at Princess Cay, the Princess private island.

For St. Martin we have booked Joyce Prince. Since there are only two of us and the wheelchair, we could actually take another couple and another wheelchair, if the mother can transfer. So let me now if the mother comes along and she would like to share the tour for St. Martin. If you need more information, contact me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Princess does offer an accessible island tour of St. Thomas, if the vehicle doesn't have mechanical problems which apparently sometimes it does. But we have also gone on taxi tours as you can get an island tour very cheaply, again, as long as the mother can transfer. We are going to be met by some friends from Texas who now live in St. Croix.

Princess Cay is more difficult to get around the beach area, but there are sidewalk areas where you can roll a wheelchair and the bathrooms, BBQ, and shopping areas are accessible. There is also shaded shelters along the walkway. The beach does't have as much shade. Also, Princess Cay did have some beach wheelchairs until the last hurricane, which practically cleaned off the island of all equipment. Princess said they were going to replace them, but I don't know if they have done so yet. Has anyone been to Princess Cay recently that could tell us about the status?

• 4 weeks later...
We are cruising on the Caribbean Princess August 19, 2006 CC group cruise. We will be celebrating our anniversary and our best friends are going with us to celebrate their anniversary. Our friends DW is thinking of inviting her parents to come, but her mother is in a wheelchair. They would like to have a balcony stateroom. Are there any balcony staterooms that are wheelchair accessible on this ship? Also, will they be able to do anything ashore or will they have to stay on the ship because of the mother being in the wheelchair?

We were on the Caribbean Princess last October, my DH is in a power chair. The HC cabin with balcony was wonderful, plenty of room and accessibility to the balcony. The Bathroom was large and very HC friendly. The only complaint my DH had was going to the Lido deck buffet, the entrance way was rough, he referred to it like riding a bucking bronco. Everywhere else was very easy to get around. He had no problem going ashore, and at the private island we tendered and the had a special lift to accomodate his wheel chair, and the island is all layed out with tile paths so he was able to visit all the shops, and the buffet. We were really impressed with the island and the accessibility to HC. There are also nice spots that are shaded for watching the activities. Hope this helps.

Archived