Maasdam Refit

deck chair

Hi Gang:

I was on the MAASDAM last summer for 35 days RT out of Boston (Before the refit) and was thinking of doing it again on July 1. Can anyone been on her since the refit tell us well how well it went and to what extent the ship has changed especially with respect to outdoor deck space and views from the crows nest? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, I noticed the fares for the July 1 sailing have gone up quite a bit over last summer. As of yesterday there is plenty of space available except for verandah cabins.

Patrick

I'll be on the repositioning cruise which sails from Ft. Lauderdale on April 28. It's fun to think about the stuff that will be fresh, bright, and right out of the box - so to speak. I'm most curious about changes to the spa area as it pertains to the view from the Crow's Nest. That's my favorite spot to read and enjoy a second (third? fourth?) cup of coffee in the morning. I hope that the view isn't compromised.

I was on a Boston/Boston transatlantic cruise during the summer of 2004, although it was on the Rotterdam instead. I can see why you would want to repeat the trip, Patrick.

I was on the last cruise before drydock (our first cruise). Can't tell you much, but I can say they started working before we got back to Norfolk. Nothing really intrusive, but by the last night they had all the lights removed around both pools and there were lots of workmen rushing about as well as men in suits with clipboards.

I do know they are completely gutting the Crow's Nest and refurbishing it, and I heard they would be doing new carpet throughout the ship. Also, the spa will be enlarged and a juice bar added.

Hi, Patrick.

If the changes to the Maasdam are like they were to the Ryndam and Amsterdam (and I have no reason to believe they won't be the same) then the view from the Crow's Nest will be quite different after SOE.

My understanding is from friends who were on the Amsterdam Circle Pacific last Fall; they both reported that the new spa area extends far enough forward as to cut off the view (looking downward) from the Crow's Nest.

I haven't been on any of the re-done ships yet. In July I'll see for myself just how the changes work.

Hi Gang:

Can anyone been on her since the refit tell us well how well it went and to what extent the ship has changed especially with respect to outdoor deck space and views from the crows nest? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick

I was on the Amsterdam for the circle Pacific cruise and can verify the change made to the spa does impair the view from the crows nest. This will also be the same for the Maasdam. The extension of the spa now prevents you from seeing the bow of the ship as when you look down you see the new green roof of the spa below you. The change does not impair your view of the horizon at all. My brother just returned from the Ryndam and made the same comment about the view being impaired.:mad:

Archived