Balcony room next to glass elevators

Sandy Beaches

Hi,

I just booked the second room in from the glass ocean elevators. The travel agent said usually the first two rooms next to the elevators have views from the elevators onto your balcony but she said the second room in she didn't think it would be too bad. I can't remember from past cruises on this one. Does anyone know? I can still switch it if any other rooms open up. It was the only one available on the port side at the time of booking. Just a little concerned.

Thanks for any info!!!

If people are standing right by the glass in the elevators they can see everything on the verandah for the cabin next to the elevators.

The second cabin in, people can see about 1/2 of the vernadah. The partition from the first cabin helps to block the view from the elevator.

We were in 5095 on the Westerdam, right next to the glass elevator. If someone was intent on looking at our balcony they probably could, but we never saw anyone looking, nor were we doing anything worth looking at. No problem, and the view was not obstructed by the elevator. I guess we had such a good time, we never gave it a thought.

Old Salt,

I know I have asked this on the boards before but just wanted to make sure, did you hear any noise from the elevator? We are booked in the suite next to the elevator on the Oosterdam in December.

Thanks.

We never noticed any noise from the elevators, and only once or twice did we hear people talking outside our room while waiting for the elevator. As far as we were concerned, a room next to the elevator was a non-problem. Sure was convenient when we wanted to go somewhere!

Thanks Old Salt,

One further question, isn't the entrance to the elevator around the corridor from your suite rather then next to the suite? I asked that because you mentioned hearing people waiting for the elevator.

Barbon2:

Yes, the elevator is around the corner and normally people are not waiting anywhere near the cabin door, which is on the corridor. I think the people we heard just happened to bump into someone they knew and carried on a conversation - you know, like in a supermarket aisle. Still think the cabin location is a non-problem, but don't hit me if you find out otherwise! You'll love the Westerdam.

We are actually going on the Oosterdam, Mexican Route in December. We are in a catagory SB suite next to the glass elevator. We were on an S-Suite on the Amsterdam and the balcony was quite large, so perhaps if we are sitting back near the doors the people on the elevators cannot see us. Not that it matters, one the Infinity we had an aft balcony and you can see all of them from the public deck on top of the ship. Cannot wait to try the Oosterdam, thanks for your info.

Barbara

We had a cabin right next to the glass elevators on the Oosterdam. We too were a little bit concerned, but after we were on board we didn't give it another thought. True, it was possible that some on the elevator - if they really made a concerted effort - could see us sitting on our balcony. Big deal! Definitely a non-issue. We enjoyed the Oosterdam and hope you do too.

In my opinion, a stateroom right by the glass elevators is not desirable. I have sailed three times on the Oosterdam, and would never book one, because it is possible to view the entire balcony from the elevator. I would also worry about elevator passengers being able to see into the stateroom in the evening when the lights are on, so one would have to keep the drapes drawn. Best to choose another stateroom, especially if you opt to book a deluxe veranda suite and are paying top dollar. The Oosterdam is a wonderful ship. Outstanding crew.

Hi Route,

Not concerned with people looking in from the elevator, my main concern was hearing noise. We always draw the drapes when getting ready in the evening anyway, guess it is force of habit. With the configuration of this room at least we only have people on one side of us, and they are the couple we are traveling with. I think everyone has a concern with who they get next to them. My concern with the elevator was if you actually heard the elevator noise. In a previous post I mentioned that one time we stayed in the Waldorf in NYC near the elevator and we actually could hear the whooshing sound it made. The balcony is not too much of a problem, we don't spend that much time out there anyway when doing a route such as this. Doing Alaska we spent much more time out there then we will doing Mexico. Thanks for all of the replies.

Barbara

Archived