Pronunciation of Lido?

Bluenose Sandy

here's one I just thought of:

on the Food Network on TV I've heard the buffet, or "buff ay" referred to as the "boo fay". hmmmmmmm?

(regardless, I think I'll still call it buff ay)

I always say buff-et as in Warren Buffet, always seems to get odd looks....oh well

...then maybe the voice you hear in the elevator is actually the voice of the ship herself, and not of some mysterious, unseen "elevator lady"!
Very interesting theory. But, ask yourself, "Are we really here?" Are we real? If a tree falls in the forrest and there is noone there to hear it, does it make a sound? If a fish is enclosed in a tank in a zero gravity environment does it swim right side up?

Now I will never get to sleep. SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

Have you guys heard of that brand Etinne Agiener? For many years I thought the brand was "Agg-ner" until QVC started carrying the brand and I heard how the company representative pronounced it-that was because that is how all my southern "sisters" would pronounce it. I learned on QVC this is a french name-so pronounced entirely differant from the way it is written.

Now I say it correctly and the gals have no idea what brand I am referring to until I say "you probally call the brand Agg-ner."

I am totally devastated - as a very proper English lady, of course I say Lido (Leedoh!). Its not a lilo you know!!!

Problem with the citizens of the U.S. (was going to say Yanks, but its not PC) is that they just can't speak English - and certainly can't spell properly!!! And puhlease don't tell me "I love your accent" - I am English, I don't have an accent!!!

Howzat!!!!!!!??

I am totally devastated - as a very proper English lady, of course I say Lido (Leedoh!). Its not a lilo you know!!!

Problem with the citizens of the U.S. (was going to say Yanks, but its not PC) is that they just can't speak English - and certainly can't spell properly!!! And puhlease don't tell me "I love your accent" - I am English, I don't have an accent!!!

Howzat!!!!!!!??

I thought everyone had an accent to some sort and as far as being english and not having an accent why do people from Yorkshire sound differant from People from Liverpool and also people from London. People from these areas all sound differantlly so isn''t that differant "accents?"

I did not intend to be offensive. I am from the southern US and have had too many in other areas of the US make fun of my accent -even people who now reside in my area.

As far as "yanks" go I know enougth that brits means those that live accross the Atlantic so that does not bother me-but that guy from Penn, Mass or NY who loves to make fun of my accent would be insulted in your calling me a yank.

So I will say except for that "cockny" tone (AKA- My fair lady) I love all the english "tones"of voices!

Hi everyone,

As a native of Liverpool I can vouch for the different accents. I can go less than 10 miles from my home and find "foreigners" living there i.e natives with a different accent or "woolybacks" as we call them :D

(Woolybacks refer to people who live in the outlying country area, populated by a lot of sheep ;) )

There was definately no offense taken MomofMeg. In fact a few weeks ago I was having a drink in a popular pub in Liverpool called the Yankee Bar, so named in honour of all the visiting American GI's during the war that were docked in the port of Liverpool.

Tara (Liverpool language for goodbye)

Don't know anything about accents north of the Watford Gap - can never understand what they are saying!! And those from the Highlands... puhlease!!

It's not the accent anyway - its the language. The front of the car which lifts up is the bonnet!!!! The back luggage part which lifts up is the boot!!! The box which holds humans and goes up and down is called a lift!!! The ground floor is what it says and the first floor is the one above!! Our language - we invented it - if you dispute that, tell me why its called English and not American. Ho ho gotcha!!!

This is fun............ Americans - don't take offence - we are your only allies and fight beside you every time!!! I am sure you all know what they used to say about the GIs in the UK?!

Accent? Whaddamean acksent? I'm a Arkie fer cryin out loud. Ya shure do talk funny. Yer not from aroun here, ar ye?

A man asked me if I had fished the Arkansas River. "No," I replied, "but I have fished the Arkansaw River." He didn't know that the name changed when it crossed the state line.:D

Kyle - Bingo!!

You seem to have an interest in the ships of yesteryear. You may be interested that I dug out a b&w photo of my mum and late father playing Bingo on the first Queen Mary - many moons ago. They were in full evening dress (for Bingo!!) - dj - and Mum decked out in furs etc!!! I offered it to Cunard but they refused it - I thought it would be nice in a montage of such photos on QM2.

Mum is still an avid cruiser and we may go on the November QM2 transatlantic Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale (where we have a condo) if they get a bit more realistic on the pricing!! I really do think we are going to be disappointed - and I hate two classes!! I would go steerage in protest if they had one!!! Yes me, elite on Celebrity no less!!!!!

Well, that's Carnival - the name says it all. We still like Princess but see a great difference pre and post Carnival!! Lost all the finesse!!

I watched QM2 arrive in Ft.L early in the morning on her inaugural (from my balcony combined with TV) - I think she looks like a floating condo!! Do you like her design? Have you been on her?

The Manager of our building in Ft.L has a photo of his greatgrandfather in his Titanic White Star uniform. He was a steward on Titanic, but fell ill a few days before she was due to sail!! Luck!?

Kyle - Bingo!!

You seem to have an interest in the ships of yesteryear. quote]

Hi

Yes, bigtime! :D

I'd love to talk to you about QM2 and QE2, and others, but it would be too off-topic in this thread. We don't want to bore anyone, or get yelled at! :rolleyes:

Why don't you pop over to the Cunard forum to say hello? ;)

Below is rendering from a period brochure (1930's) of the first Lido at sea, on the Italian Line's record-breaking REX

Rex.jpg.dd11e85f5d4e6008a630b0b82b75641a.jpg

Hi everyone,

As a native of Liverpool I can vouch for the different accents. I can go less than 10 miles from my home and find "foreigners" living there i.e natives with a different accent or "woolybacks" as we call them :D

(Woolybacks refer to people who live in the outlying country area, populated by a lot of sheep ;) )

There was definately no offense taken MomofMeg. In fact a few weeks ago I was having a drink in a popular pub in Liverpool called the Yankee Bar, so named in honour of all the visiting American GI's during the war that were docked in the port of Liverpool.

Tara (Liverpool language for goodbye)

Tara, hubby has a friend he met over the internet from Liverpool-we talk on the phone weekly and I told him he sounded like Paul Mc Cartney! He found that very funny! I probally sounded like a country hick to him!

Don't know anything about accents north of the Watford Gap - can never understand what they are saying!! And those from the Highlands... puhlease!!

It's not the accent anyway - its the language. The front of the car which lifts up is the bonnet!!!! The back luggage part which lifts up is the boot!!! The box which holds humans and goes up and down is called a lift!!! The ground floor is what it says and the first floor is the one above!! Our language - we invented it - if you dispute that, tell me why its called English and not American. Ho ho gotcha!!!

This is fun............ Americans - don't take offence - we are your only allies and fight beside you every time!!! I am sure you all know what they used to say about the GIs in the UK?!

2ladies I loved the expression you used at the London tube-(we went all over London by the tube!)-instead of what we would say "Watch your step"- we read signs everywhere that said "mind the gap" we loved that! we even brought home a refrigerator magnet that said "Mind the Gap".

But as far as expressions and using differant words that mean differant things-differant sections of the US also use differant expressions and terms-I know often I have to expalin what I meant in a post to other americans here as they did not comprehend what I met.

Archived