Pronunciation of Lido?

Bluenose Sandy

I could hunt up a dictionary but... please be my dictionary.

When you're talking about the Lido Deck, is that lee-doe or lye-doe?

Someday let me tell you how I ended up at Shinagawa Eki instead of Shinjuku Eki on the wrong side of Tokyo... the moral of that story is always learn how to pronounce places before you have to get there!

It's always LEE-doe, no matter where you're from.:D

that is always the way I have heard it also Cotton-but I have had so many snobby people correct me over the years-you know how it is-lots of people do not like southerners.

Some that corrected me I KNEW did NOT know what they were talking about but I let it pass. a lot of people just plain do not like a southern accent.

The only word I know that I do not say as I should is "idea"-I say "idear" you know I stick a "r" on the end of it-a southern thing-I have a friend who has now lived in the south over 10 years-even married a "southern boy" and she loved to correct me-I would always ignore her but one day when I was having a "menapause moment" I just flat told her-if she despised the way southerners talk so much why in the world did she marry a "southern boy" and stay down south all these years? She never insulted me again.

The worse culprit though was a Boston cab driver-he had such a thick accent of his own-and where we add "r's" he would drop them in his speach you know "party" was "Paa-ty"-he proceeded to correct me on a couple of words and I just laughed at him-and asked him wasn't that like the "pot calling the kettle black"-ofcourse he had no idea what THAT meant so he missed my point.

I believe the correct pronucnication is Lee-Doe, Why do I believe this?

I believe the useage of the term Lido for a deck on a ship is based on the presence of a pool and sunning area, which relates to a "beach", which in Italian is "Lido".

In Italian Lido is pronounced "Lee-Doe".

As usual, I am prepared to be corrected and look forward to any contrary evidence!

Well, the Italian translation of 'beach' is 'spiaggia'

The English translation of 'Lido' from Italian to English is 'Lido' or 'beach', depending where you look.

The Webster's Dictionary definition of Lido is "a fashionable beach resort"

The origin of Lido is from the famous beach resort island in Venice, Italy,

taken from the Latin "Litus" meaning "Shore"; and "littorallis" meaning "of or belonging to the seashore".

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=lido&searchmode=none

It is indeed "Lee-doe" in Italian. And on a ship, it is traditionally the pool deck.

The famous Italian ocean liner REX, at one time the fastest ship in the world from the 1930's, actually had sand around the pool on the Lido Deck. Wonder how much of it blew away while crossing the Atlantic!

(I have too much time on my hands today, I may as well learn something)

It's interesting that those would be the 2 options for pronunciation. Drop the "o" and what are you left with? Lid. As in the lid on a jar.

I liked the discussion a few years ago on how to pronounce the name of the HAL ship "Zuiderdam".

Hola amigos,

I had to get in on this. I have to agree with the elevator girl. She says lee-doe and that is how they pronounced it on the "LOVE BOAT". Now that we have that settled, how do you say promanade. Is it prom-ah-nod or prom-ah-naid?

You do realize that this can go on for days?

..........................I had to get in on this. I have to agree with the elevator girl. She says lee-doe and that is how they pronounced it on the "LOVE BOAT". Now that we have that settled, how do you say promanade. Is it prom-ah-nod or prom-ah-naid?.................
Well, the elevator lady told us last summer that it was pronounced prom-ah-nod. And who am I to argue with the elevator lady ;) !

John

Wel them Brits talk funny anyway, dontcha know! (a jab at Blowers if he's around:) )

Genessa has the best answer yet! Elevator lady oughta know.:D

Do we really??/ We invented the language!!

You say TOM_AY_TO and I say TOM_AH-TO!!

The Brits invented it? then why don't they speak it properly.

I remember the TV series Dynasty - dien-asty the Brits called it din-isty.

How come when I'm in Liverpool or Yorkshire or the East End of London they mumble everything - thats not English.

But getting back to the orignal question Lido is an Italian work Leedo, even the Brits that holiday near Venice on the Lido pronounce it leedo:)

I love you brits and all of your accents-and guys just like differant areas of the US speak differently so do differant areas of Britan.

It's interesting that those would be the 2 options for pronunciation. Drop the "o" and what are you left with? Lid. As in the lid on a jar.

I liked the discussion a few years ago on how to pronounce the name of the HAL ship "Zuiderdam".

so Dan you say "Lid"-and then "O"?

Hola amigos,

I had to get in on this. I have to agree with the elevator girl. She says lee-doe and that is how they pronounced it on the "LOVE BOAT". Now that we have that settled, how do you say promanade. Is it prom-ah-nod or prom-ah-naid?

You do realize that this can go on for days?

well maybe Celebrity had the right idea. they do not call it the lido deck but something else-(I forget what- just not lido)

I wasn't making fun of the Brits. Just 1 in particular! :D

So how do you say Ketchup?

Has anyone ever seen the elevator lady? No. So how do we know she i pronouncing it right?:eek: :) ;)

Archived